Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Getting lost in the translation

Lionel

Relying on online translation tools can be a risky business, especially if you expect too much of it. For the time being, might translation be something best left to the humans?

Earlier this month the small German town of Homberg-an-der-Efze, north of Frankfurt, had to pulp an entire print run of its English-language tourism brochure - after officials used an internet translating tool to translate the German text.

According to one report, the brochure was "rendered meaningless" by the online tool. Tourists were promised "casual value", the literal translation of the German word for "leisure potential", at venues such as the "free bath" - better known as an "open-air swimming pool".

Martin Wagner, mayor of Homberg-an-der-Efze, admits that the town made a "blunder". As a result of officials trying to save money by getting the internet to do a translator's job, a total of 7500 brochures had to be binned.

This story highlights some of the pitfalls of translating online. There are many instant translation tools on the web - but they are best used for individual words and short phrases, rather than for brochures, books or anything complex.

Full Story

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lionel

• Seraphina

• Byuu94

• soulfire78

I lived in Germany for nearly 4 years. Around the US military bases the signs were very funny. I wish I'd known there was a market for this, I'd have taken a picture! cool.gif

PS...Love the link Byuu...Spread Beaver!!! lol laugh.gif

I really can't thank you enough for that link...my all nigher has been completely worthwhile thanks to it tongue.gif