Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Glass Of Red Wine A day

Beckys_Mom

A glass of red wine a day keeps the doctor away

Is red wine the fountain of youth or a potent poison? Is enjoying a glass of red wine with dinner each evening beneficial to your health? Current research suggests that a glass of red wine each day may be providing you with more than just a little relaxation.

What are the health benefits of drinking red wine?

For over 10 years, research has indicated that moderate intake of alcohol improves cardiovascular health. In fact, in 1992 Harvard researchers included moderate alcohol consumption as one of the "eight proven ways to reduce coronary heart disease risk." However, research has suggested that specifically red wine is the most beneficial to your heart health. The cardioprotective effect has been attributed to antioxidants present in the skin and seeds of red grapes.

Scientists believe the antioxidants, called flavonoids, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease in three ways:

by reducing production of low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (also know as the "bad" cholesterol)

by boosting high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the good cholesterol)

by reducing blood clotting. Furthermore, consuming a glass of wine along with a meal may favorably influence your lipid profiles following that meal

Recently, researchers have found that moderate red wine consumption may be beneficial to more than just your heart. One study found that the antioxidant resveratrol, which is prevalent in the skin of red grapes, may inhibit tumor development in some cancers. Another study indicated that resveratrol aided in the formation of nerve cells, which experts believe may be helpful in the treatment of neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

Which wines should you consume to reap the most benefits?

Researchers at the University of California, at Davis tested a variety of wines to determine which types have the highest concentrations of flavonoids. Their results concluded that the flavonoid favorite is Cabernet Sauvignon, followed closely by Petit Syrah and Pinot Noir. Both Merlots and red zinfandels have fewer flavonoids than their more potent predecessors. White wine had significantly smaller amounts than the red wine varieties. The bottom line is the sweeter the wine, the fewer the flavonoids. Dryer red wines are your best bet for a flavonoid boost.

How much red wine should I drink?

A four-ounce glass of wine is equivalent to one serving. Men will benefit from consuming one to two servings per day. Women should consume only one serving per day to reap the maximum benefits. This is not to say that you should start drinking alcohol if you presently do not.

Occasional or binge drinkers have higher mortality rates than those who drink moderately on a regular basis. In those who consume three or more drinks per day, there is an increased risk for elevated serum triglycerides (fat in the bloodstream). Long-term, excessive alcohol consumption can damage nerve cells, the liver and the pancreas. Heavy drinkers are also at risk for malnutrition, as alcohol may substitute for more nutritious foods.

What if I have other health problems?

Recommendations to consume moderate amounts of wine are limited to individuals with a clean bill of health. It is clear that people with medical and social conditions worsened by alcohol should not consume any alcohol at all. Hypertryglyceridemia, pancreatitis, liver disease, uncontrolled hypertension, depression and congestive heart failure are diseases that may be worsened by alcohol. Those individuals at risk for these conditions should consult with their physician before consuming any alcohol at all.

What about grape juice and non alcoholic red wine?

In 1997, researchers at the University of Wisconsin concluded that purple grape juice also reduced blood clotting. Another study by researchers at University of California at Davis, confirmed the findings that non alcoholic red wine contains the same antioxidant profile as red wine. However in a 1998 study, Japanese researchers found that while grape juice still had antioxidative benefits, it did not significantly lower LDL cholesterol levels compared to red wine.

The debate continues on whether it is the components of the wine, the way the wine is consumed, or the lifestyle traits that is the most responsible for the long healthy lives of many wine drinkers. However, the evidence seems clear that regular, moderate consumption of red wine is beneficial to your health. So here’s a toast to your health! Cheers!

Source

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyperactive

• Beckys_Mom

• halo_slightly_askew

• brazilianguy

which side are you arguing for BM?

Your post confirms my statement on "blanket statements", states "may", and most importantly given its date was likely included in recent meta-analysis of alcohol-health research that stated for people not currently drinking one glass a day there is not enough evidence to support suggesting they start.

Thanks for your support. :tu:

well you sure wont be keeping the doctors away if you drink tooooo much and fall on your head

well you sure wont be keeping the doctors away if you drink tooooo much and fall on your head

Read my post again...if taken moderately...like ONE 4oz a day is good not a bottle LOL gee wizzz :wacko:

Uhhh, there's another thread on this :)

Sorry frog..but if there is I dont see it on this board...but anyhoo....

There is no rule against starting a thread to discuss a subject which has already been discussed. An old topic being discussed by new members brings new information to light, new opinions and can lead to entirely different conclusions.

If there is an existing topic running on the same subject at the same time then it's fair to request that you use that topic rather than having two running simultaneously, but if it's been a while since the topic has been discussed then a new thread on that subject is perfectly acceptable.

:D so as I dont see it on this board its ok LOL

which side are you arguing for BM?

Your post confirms my statement on "blanket statements", states "may", and most importantly given its date was likely included in recent meta-analysis of alcohol-health research that stated for people not currently drinking one glass a day there is not enough evidence to support suggesting they start.Thanks for your support. :tu:

Did you read it right?? not trying to be funny but please scroll up and re-read it hyper...it clearly says...if you do NOT drink..do not start ....I agree with it...if a person does not drink..then they whouldnt start because red wind is good for you

Heck I hate red wine..I only drink meduim sweet white wine once in a while...but I believe what my OWN doctor has told me...

hyper u contridict urself so many times its insae i liek how u claim this article is not vaild because of its agfe but if u post a old one and someone says its not vaild because of its age there wrong....

robbie,

pay attention!

I did not say that the article was wrong. I stated how it supported what I said in the other thread and that it sttod a chance of being included in the meta-analysis based on its age (it was done prior to the meta studies done in 2003 - as in a study done in 2006 could not have been included in the meta analysis done in 2003).

Stay with the class.

Resveratrol extends the life of all species it has been given to so far in studies... Sometimes by as much as 70%. It activates SIRT1 in cells which protects from oxidative damage, increases stress resistance. Meaning they can survive heat, x-ray, gamma-rays etc.. much better without undergoing apoptosis. Repair enzymes and antioxidant enzymes are also upregulated.

So Resveratrol found in red wine is basically a calorie restriction mimmetic that could extend the life of mice and also humans.

Read more on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Edited by whoa182

My grandmother is 88 yrs. old. She's had a beer every evening for over 60 years. She also eats meat and drinks milk, snacks on sweets. She requires no medications, no supplements, goes in for two health check-ups a year and passes wih flying colors. She's never had a serious illness. She has excellent physical stamina for one of her age and it's not unusual to find her out mowing and gardening with the energy of someone less than 4 times her age.

She is proof that moderation should be taken into consideration. And she's not the only one out there.

She attributes her excellent, outstanding health to her evening beer. :tu:

My grandmother is 88 yrs. old. She's had a beer every evening for over 60 years. She also eats meat and drinks milk, snacks on sweets. She requires no medications, no supplements, goes in for two health check-ups a year and passes wih flying colors. She's never had a serious illness. She has excellent physical stamina for one of her age and it's not unusual to find her out mowing and gardening with the energy of someone less than 4 times her age.

She is proof that moderation should be taken into consideration. And she's not the only one out there.

She attributes her excellent, outstanding health to her evening beer. :tu:

WOW way to go grandma :tu: (meaning your grandma lol) :D

welcome halo,

another n=1 statement! :tu:

thank you.

Good thing we're all entitled to our statements, eh? :tu:

Oh and...thanks for the welcome.

:w00t::D you go girly

your welcome,

and it is good we have scientific methods and not just anecodotal evidence. :tu:

your welcome,

and it is good we have scientific methods and not just anecodotal evidence. :tu:

I am all for scientific method, hyperactive. What I am not for are blanketing generalizations, subtle insults and people implying in politely couched terms that if I do not come to the same conclusion as they, I am flat out "false".

I don't consider daily experience in the health care system for years or the proven existence of Marasmus and Kwashiorkor to be "anecdotal evidence". :tu: If you do, why then, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

As for dear, old grandma, when there is living proof right before your eyes, well, what can you say, other than to repeat that she is as healthy as a horse after following an 88 year pattern of moderation.

And I do know the meaning of n=1. Rather backhanded :)

The fact of the matter is, I have enjoyed your posts and followed several of your links. Did I agree with all of it? No, but whether I agreed or not I did learn about other perspectives on various subjects while retaining my opinion. You respect mine, I'll respect yours. It's a two way street.

i do respect your opinion.

It is just that these issues are far more complex than most treat them (as I am sure you know). As such, I only point out the n=1 statements because they don't actually answer anything than to point out there is not a 100% causal effect between a particular choice and a particular outcome.

Successful moderation := exposure below a toxic threshold for the subject.

Each person's toxicity level is different which is why I, like yourself, do not like blanket statements on the issues. :tu:

(case studies are valuable for suggesting research directives as well as treatment planning and projections, but not good for estimating variables in a larger population.)

Edited by hyperactive

They are indeed complex and as I have stated in one of my posts, I am admittedly not near as knowledgable as some, including yourself. Which is why I have only addressed a very few points, I have much to learn and enjoy doing it. Though that does not mean I will not occasionally be tongue in cheek. :innocent:

The complexity is what generates interest in my book, but there are some things that I just can't let let slip by, i.e. blanket generalizations of the med field, any more than you are able to let things slip by that you know to be true :tu: I can respect that.

It seems to me a person's toxic threshold is similar to a person's pain threshold, being that each person's body is variable and unique in it's reaction to various levels of pain. Although, a person's pain threshold can also be influenced by the mind, i.e. fear of pain.

Don't get me wrong, Grandma isn't a blanket statement, nor would she ever allow me to refer to her as one, she is merely an example of one persons 'reaction' to moderation. :D

Thanks for the comments. Enjoyed them.

P.S. Personally I'm of the opinion that "moderation" is overrated and only provides a method for people to justify behaviors bad for them. But that's a whole other topic. How's that for contradiction? :w00t:

Edited by halo_slightly_askew