Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do children have a 6th sense?

BellaLuna

There is nothing I hate more people that make snap judgements on others. This person just assumed that because Seraphina was posting on a forum called "Unexplained Mysteries" that her arguement would be ridiculous and based solely on "spooks and other nonsense".

And this is not a snap judgemnt because...........? If you hate hypocrites then you better get out the razor blades. I made no such assumption.

What I said was that they find it easy to believe in ideas that are fantastic, or what most people would find difficult to believe in, therefore not taking much convincing, or readily accepting something that is difficult to accept, yet when it comes to accept an idea that is basic and made up of common rational ideas, that should be easily acceptable to most people, they kick up a fuss and fight it to the death, as if I had just claimed to have seen a yeti water skiing behind the lochness monster.

Nothing to do with her argument, but the ability to embrace anything the differs from her own belief; to only take the negative aproach.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fruitcakesanonymous

• gonzowalker

• Seraphina

• CASTOR

...*blinks*...are you actually trying to attack a biology student, who probably knows more about this than you do?

That about sums it up, you assume way too much. (there was no need for that kind of remark )You assume that you must be correct, because my idea doesnt agree with what you think you have read in a book. Therefore since you are a biology student, you must be correct, therefore I must be wrong, therefore there is no need to rationalize what I have written, so you scan, rather than read, therefore cant understand what is written. Since not every second word, is a ten syllable piece of jargon, that has only appeared in the most recent edition of the dictionary, you assume that I cant possibly understand anything from your bible.

You apparently think biology is difficult therefore you need to be really smart to understand. take a reality check, it aint that difficult, if you think it is difficult then its your lack of intellect that is at fault. I bet you cant wait to go arround introducing yourself as Doctor can you? What a thrill. Hello this is Dr Frasier upmyself and his brother Dr Niles evenmore upmyself, and this is plumber Bob and carpenter john, lawyer bill and postman pete, all members of the silly names society. You know why people get called Dr and Prof? Because they originated as travellors so no one could remember their name. Its not a title, just a bad habit people got into that next year will no longer exist.

Try living on planet earth for a change. The idea of a forum, is to share ideas, because you may come accross something that no one else has. New ideas don't just mean ideas that add weight to what you already believe. It means if someone has a different opinion to one that is already established, that you think, O.K I never thought of it that way before, lets see if it can work". you cant do that because you use the program " That idea seems opposed to mine, therefore it must be wrong, so what do I already know that can prove it wrong" New ideas means exploring new ideas even if it means looking at the possibility that you may be wrong, otherwise all you are doing is repeating the same opinion over and over again; its a weather balloon, its a secret aircraft, its a flying squirrel, its a........

I edited one part of this because of people's feelings ok?

Edited by Celticwitch

[You're arguing against the theories I quote by saying "they're not proven! Now I'll huff, and I'll puff..." While your theories are little more than a mixture of hot air, and frustration at being treated like an idiot in my previous post. What, exactly has proven your theories? Given that what I'm saying has been researched, investigated, and refined over the course of years...yours has sprung up out of your own head, has about as much weight behind it as a thrown feather, and you seem to think it's true, just because you said so tongue.gif

Perhaps, if you actually do what you're preaching, and "go out and prove" your theories, I might actually hold them in greater regard...however until you stop doing nothing but blowing hot air, kindly don't waste my time, and go out and get an education. You'll likely find that these 'books' you seem to despise are written by people who are significantly more intelligent than you are.

And so are the people that read them...

If you're going to actually argue that memory can be passed on to a child, let's go ahead and argue that other things that have absolutely nothing to do with genes can be passed on..."Hey, I lost a leg in a car crash! Oh dear god! What if this injury is stored in my cells, and passed on to my children! Shock! Horror!"[/

I was not saying that because they are not proven that they are just as likely to be wrong. I was saying that science is shown, to continually overturn previously established theories all the time, and that it is also subject to many mistakes, as well as contradictions. You are quoting from books, as if they are gospel, as well as suggesting that since you are a part of that, that it should be assumed that you are most probably correct, therefore how dare I challenge you. You seen to take everything personally, and therefore misinterpret what is written. The whole basis of your argument is not on rationalizing what I have said but simply reinforcing that you must be right, because it comes from a source that is reliable. So all you are doing is finding new ways to express that ideology.

Given that what I'm saying has been researched, investigated, and refined over the course of years...yours has sprung up out of your own head, has about as much weight behind it as a thrown feather, and you seem to think it's true, just because you said so

Sunsceen was researched for 20 years, and then there were the thalidomides and exploding space shuttles, in fact science makes more mistakes than the rest of the world combined. I wouldnt trust a scientist to write the instruction manual for a pair of shoe laces.

Where exactly do you think theories come from before they get into books? The magic theory fairy, or the magical land of theories? They come out of peoples heads. You are confusing evidence with proof. Proof requires thinking to understand, evidence requires nothing more than simple child like gullibility, to believe anything you see, because it looks impressive.

Obviously a lost leg isnt going to passed onto a child, why use such a childish idea? What is your problem, you seem to have a real hard time if anyone suggests that you may be wrong,as if it is a personal insult? No wondeer science makes so many mistakes, no one will listen to each other, too bad if you happen to be on board a space shuttle; too high in the sky ego tripping.

wow man chill out, your taking it a little extreme, no?

no one said you have to agree with her statements (statements based on scientific evidence mind you) but all you have to do is explain your side, she never attacked anyone, maybe shes wrong, maybe she not, but at least she didnt get all uppity like you did, all your posts prove to me is that you're childish, and imo this site is not a childish one, many people here come with intelligent ideas and many come to learn (like my self) these ideas, personally i dont enjoy this nonsense of an argument, and i doubt anyone else does either, at least we know were you got your screen name from...

and note to sepharina, i am definetly not a bio student, far from it, and i understood your post 100%, dont play these games with this kid, no need to explain yourself....i mean its just the internet for christs sake!

heh...well, thanks for the shout out nonetheless wink2.gif

But yes, I do intend to leave him to his ranting for now. After reading his...endless...string of posts that don't seem to prove much except he doesn't trash talk as subtly as I do huh.gif

But yeah, I'll leave him alone, no worries.

Juuust as one final side note though: You'll find sunscreen is developed my manufacturers, not by scientific circles. Their companies may well have a group of chemists working away from an original formulae that may have been thought up by people who knew what they were doing...but you'll find the 'chemists' in the cosmetics and similar fields have the goal of selling something...not of protecting us from the sun tongue.gif

Commercials are the ones lying there, not science botching up.

Buuuut, now I'll leave you in peace cool.gif

scientists are the ones responsible for sunscreen you dimwit. had no rebuttle to thalidomide or exploding space shuttles did you? avoid the issue and maintain your delusion. as for that other nit wit, instead of trying to score points by kissing everyones butt on the internet, because you are just some nerd no one wants to talk to in real life, get a life, no one needs you to defend them!

all your posts prove to me is that you're childish

Well my dear fruitcake...at least you did go out there and prove one thoery correct in your life time...congrats cool.gif

I'll try not to lose sleep over not being allowed to hear it tongue.gif

However, before you edited your first post on this page, I thought you were simply childish...now I think you're a jerk. Congrats on going from beneath me personally, to beneath my notice.

Seeking was trying to calm you down...but since you're reaction was so blatantly infantile, I think I'm just going to erect a small crib around you, and keep my own thoughts outside of it with everyone else, until you grow enough to come out here with us.

Generous of ya' there, Fruity

I'll try not to lose sleep over not being allowed to hear it tongue.gif

did too did not....females are generally more intelligent than males, but they are also very stubborn. I think you want to believe me, but you just dont know how, so subconsciously you are like one of those serial killars that wants to be caught. Trust me I am correct.

Try this: most people think that a fly sees multiple images as in the movie the fly, correct?

Talked to some entemologists and they confirmed this. However a fly sees only one image at a time, the facets are like our pupils. A flycant rotate its eyes as we can, so instead of moving its eyes, it changes which pupil it focuses through, one pupil at a time, the other pupils serve as peripheral vision. Suggestd this to a couple of scientists, and got some inane replies, like mother nature works in mysterious ways, or who knows what goes on inside the mind of a fly, we may never know. meanwhile at a site that depicts how a bee views the world, all the images that depict how a bee sees the wrold, are all single views, no multi vision; one half of the world believes in big bangs and black holes, the other doesnt. So which half of the world were you educated, and is that where you want to stay?

scientists are the ones responsible for sunscreen you dimwit.

Hey fruity, maybe you should stay away from the direct insults.

memories can not be passed on. they can't. After a cell is established in the human body, there can be no changes made to the DNA or RNA. the cells have no ability to hold a memory. the cells are specialized to do a task in the body and cells die all the time. Cells are also replaced all the time, so any memories that would have been stored would be lost. On the other hand Learning can start in the womb. This has been proven. A child has a wonderful copasity for learning. the child mind takes in everything the child sees and hears. they are little sponges. this is why a child of 7 could already be speaking 5 or 6 different languages. the fact is, a childs ability to learn can sometimes be mistaken for inborn memory. i would like to think that things can be passed on just as much as the next guy, but they are not able to be passed on. thank you for your time, i will be here all year, please tip your waitress. thumbsup.gif

CASTOR

memories can not be passed on. they can't. After a cell is established in the human body, there can be no changes made to the DNA or RNA. the cells have no ability to hold a memory. the cells are specialized to do a task in the body and cells die all the time. Cells are also replaced all the time, so any memories that would have been stored would be lost. On the other hand Learning can start in the womb. This has been proven. A child has a wonderful copasity for learning. the child mind takes in everything the child sees and hears. they are little sponges. this is why a child of 7 could already be speaking 5 or 6 different languages. the fact is, a childs ability to learn can sometimes be mistaken for inborn memory. i would like to think that things can be passed on just as much as the next guy, but they are not able to be passed on. thank you for your time, i will be here all year, please tip your waitress.  thumbsup.gif 

CASTOR

and babies can suckle because??.......................moron!!!!

sunscreen-concept- have you taken lessons at stupidity or does it come nutural?

*sighs* I know I keep saying I'm going to leave this topic alone, but I still end up so staggered by what we're dealing with here...

Fruitcakes...what exactly are you trying to prove here? How easy it is to alienate the population of the forum by acting like a child? Because, just in case you hadn't realised it yet, that's exactly what you're doing.

First you accuse me of being narrow minded, and not willing to accept any veiw contary to my own...yet everytime someone present a veiw contary to yours, you respond with childish insults (is this the part where I should point out that your wit is only slightly less blunt than a spoon?), making post after post as though you don't know what the edit button is for, and making a very good job of sounding like you're just out of primary school.

Free advice: Grow up. Until you do that, then it doesn't matter how good you think you're arguement or theory may be (not that they are, of course). You're acting like an idiot, and people are going to be more inclinded to ignore you than give a damn what you're saying.

Side note: Castor - true indeed...everything that is passed from parent to child is passed on through the chromosomes. Memory doesn't even exist in the cells....I, for one, think your arguement was far more convincing than "and babies can suckle because??.......................moron!!!!" tongue.gif

SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR AWAY. Sorry I cant waste any more timebut you win first prize for trying, just backs up what i said; women are more intelligent than men.

fruitcakesanonymous, if you would read any literature in the fields of psychology you would realize that suckling is a reflex action in the infant. just like if you tickle its foot, its toes will part enstead of come together. and i dont think calling me a moron proves your point. go ahead and read the experiments, they are on the APA web site, come back and post a message that is not just an insult.

CASTOR

So now insults aside . Where exactly are instincts stored ? also in the brain ? how are they learned ? I'm all confused now...

I personally feel it's more likely that some children are born gifted , and some of these children un learn there abilties when they are told not to be silly and oh it's just your imagination .and that sort of thing .

I may not be a biology student or a pshycology major but I have 2 children of my own thats plenty of experience in the field . Both have shown signs of memories and personality traits of there previous life . ( I wonder where these memories are stored )

Only one though has got what is called an active imagination . Infact he has said one or two things that made me stop and think that just maybe he does see things . There is no way you can get that one to sleep with the lights off .

And my other child , he is the one that backs up the argument that not all children have a sixth sense . I think if he had any psychic abilities he would have instinctively honed them into being able to tell when he was winding people up , but alas no he does not have that ability , still I love him dearly wub.gif

This might not make much sense. I can't really explain it, but...

Remember that feeling you get when you start something long over again? When I was little, I remember always getting that feeling.

Hello: Im kind of new here. I finally found a site that can perhaps help me understand some of the things exeperienced in my life. I know exactly how that feeling is. My very first one that I could remember and I know it was before the age of two. It was kinda like when you wake up in a strange room and for a moment you dont know where you are. I actually remember think whether I was awake or dreaming and when I realized I was awake....I thought not again, I didnt want to do this but I wanted to be back ...whereever that was. I am 18 months older than my brother but I actually remember when he was born (those days most people had babies at home) I know small children and maybe even babies think...but they can't communicate that well. Most of my very early memories are fragmented... but I do remember the feeling that I had done this before and this place was not where I really wanted to be. Hard to put into words. It's kinda like...geez not again...

fruitcakesanonymous, if you would read any literature in the fields of psychology you would realize that suckling is a reflex action in the infant. just like if you tickle its foot, its toes will part enstead of come together. and i dont think calling me a moron proves your point. go ahead and read the experiments, they are on the APA web site, come back and post a message that is not just an insult.

CASTOR

Of course it is a reflex action, has anyone denied that? You cant just quote somethig you read somewhere, without taking the time to interpret it or go beyond what is written. In order for a reflex action to occur, it requires information, it doesnt just happen. So just as a computer program contains instuctions of what to tell the computer, so too do humans contain instructions that are passed on. Science has got a hell of a long way to go before it can claim to know everything.

How can a savant know how to play the piano, without ever being taught? How can a savant worked out the value of Pi faster than a super computer, yet never have learned math? Information that is passed on from generation to generation is the only way this is possible.

maybe you should mind your own business. do you think anyone needs you to stick up for them? Stop trying to show off, to try to buy friends. your my hero! thats what you are thinking isnt it? Like someone writing graffiti imagining that everyone that sees that graffiti is going to be thinking, "wow this guy is really cool, I wish I could be like him" Can you teach me to be the brave upholder of righteousness like you so everyone will go "wow this guy is really cool, I wish I could be like him". Please, I want to be a computer nerd too, hiding behind a screen, pretending to be someone I am not too, can ya, huh?