Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greenland seeks to hunt humpback whales

Grandpa Greenman

Greenland seeks to hunt humpback whales

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:07 PM BST

By Michael Christie

FRIGATE BAY, St. Kitts and Nevis (Reuters) - Greenland asked an international whaling body on Saturday to examine whether it could extend whaling by its Inuit hunters to endangered humpbacks and bowheads, alarming environmentalists.

Anti-whaling nations attending an International Whaling Commission, or IWC, meeting in the Caribbean island state of St Kitts and Nevis said they were opposed to the proposal given the fragile state of most whale species.

Environmentalists also said they were puzzled by the request because Greenland has for years failed to meet a quota of minke whales and fin whales that its indigenous hunters are permitted to catch under an exemption from an international moratorium on commercial whaling.

"We'd be very concerned about extending the hunt to two new species," said British Environment Minister Ben Bradshaw.

Commercial whaling was banned in 1986 to save great whales from extinction but the IWC issues quotas to aboriginal communities which have a tradition of whale hunting.

Japan and other pro-whaling nations had been expected to take control of the IWC at this year's meeting and to begin chipping away at the global whaling ban. But anti-whaling nations including Australia and South Africa managed to retain a slim majority when the gathering began on Friday.

Rest of the story

I guess they will hunt them until they are gone. Then what are they going to do? :no:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• Roj47

• Grandpa Greenman

• __Kratos__

Commercial whaling was banned in 1986 to save great whales from extinction but the IWC issues quotas to aboriginal communities which have a tradition of whale hunting.

You know... Why the hell should we have to respect their tradition when they are killing an rare and endangered animal?

I think all whaling should be stopped mainly because it's pointless. I see very little logic in killing endangered whales to save them. Science research can wait on a dead one to float up or till their numbers rise to healthy levels. :yes:

I think all whaling should be stopped mainly because it's pointless. I see very little logic in killing endangered whales to save them. Science research can wait on a dead one to float up or till their numbers rise to healthy levels

:yes: Totally agreed. Science doesn't even need whale carcasses. Just study live ones.

:yes: Totally agreed. Science doesn't even need whale carcasses. Just study live ones.

Maybe we could learn about our own anotomy by studying the people of Greenland...

Any whaling should be illegal. Theres no real logical need for it.

Maybe we could learn about our own anotomy by studying the people of Greenland...

LMAO :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Not too disimilar to stone age man, but with some modern technology.

No real government of laws, and most importantly....... no football!!!!

Any whaling should be illegal. Theres no real logical need for it.

I am guessing poachers dont whale to sell on eBay or down the local.

Big gamers I guess dont hunt to place these on their walls.

There is quite a taste for whale meat.

A recent trip to Oslo proved fruitless in finding whale meat on the menu.

Whilst there is a call for whale meat there will be a market for it.

Stop people`s interest in the meat and the reason for hunting becomes a whole lot less profitable.

and most importantly....... no football!!!!

God forbid No football :rolleyes:

We should hunt them and see how they like it! :devil:

Edited by cia

i guess they dont understand the words endangered or extinction, or they just dont care <_<

i guess they dont understand the words endangered or extinction, or they just dont care <_<

Or maybe it is their only income they have to support their family?

Or maybe it is their only income they have to support their family?

Commercial whaling? No, its a company...just like shark finning...They can support their families other ways.

Greenland's Main exports

http://www.danishexporters.dk/scripts/dani...sp?landekode=GB

ok, an old article on Greenland and whaling

http://www.highnorth.no/Library/Culture/gr-wh-wa.htm

Greenland break the rules on whaling

http://www.earthisland.org/immp/eco2004_issue3.html

Source for the below - http://www.greenland.com/Comprehensive_Gui...t_Greenland.php

Trade and Industry

Sealing, whaling and walrus hunting were once the mainstay of life for the Greenlandic population, and today these activities are still the only - or most important - source of income for approx. 2,500 people. The seal is the most important bagging animal, and most skins are processed at the Great Greenland tannery, which also manufactures sealskin furs both for the domestic market and export.

In North and East Greenland particularly, sealing and hunting play a large role, just as traditional home craft work is kept alive. It is important to realize that hunting is done for the sake of the meat. The sale of skins is only a by-product. That is also why only on fully-grown animals are hunted in Greenland.

The fishing trade is modern-day Greenland's principal livelihood, and fish exports account for 85% of Greenland's total export of goods. The most important export markets are the EU and Asia. The great number of people who value clean, unpolluted fish products knows the name Royal Greenland.

Sheep farming and agriculture employ about 100 families in lush South Greenland.

There is no mining or extraction of resources currently going on in Greenland, but prospects are under way for interesting minerals such as molybdenum, chromium, niobium and gold

regards

Sealing, whaling and walrus hunting were once the mainstay of life

Key word was once...They can find other ways...

If my only income was killing and skinning pandas, would you thinks it right for me to do that? Or tell me to find another job?