Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would It KILL You To Believe In God ?

exeller

I realize most people take a "in their own hands" approach to what they believe... but do they ever think "what if"? "What if God is real and I'm actually committing the worst sin by rejecting Him?" Does anybody ever think that?

Yes but what if Odin is real and you have commited the Worst sin by worshipping the False God Yahweh or if the Islamic view is true and you have commited a sin by misrepresenting Allah.

I do not reject him, as i don't believe in his existance i neither accept nor reject him i merely ignore him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• exeller

• ragus

• Beckys_Mom

• zandore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

God demands faith -- so you dare ponder for a single minute "what if" God really does exist and is my Creator and I should accept Christ.... doesn't that feel rebellious if you don't have faith (as God demands)?

I realize most people take a "in their own hands" approach to what they believe... but do they ever think "what if"? "What if God is real and I'm actually committing the worst sin by rejecting Him?" Does anybody ever think that?

You know, I am really not a non-believer I think the god of Abraham is an actual being, but I think he and the being called Satan are one in the same. He is a demanding, vengeful, blood thirsty desert Jin. No disrespect intended just my opinion. I will not put my spirit in his hands. My Gods and Goddesses protect me and into their hands I put my spirit and my faith.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

whatever what ragus??

Whats with the -- :rolleyes: <--displaying ignorance?? WHY??

because I said (if you scroll up) --

but you didnt make the point....cuz I posted back about how much evidence can and DOES lead to your lil boys existance

Cuz didnt you say earlier....

Maybe using my son was a poor example to compare to, but there's a point in there somewhere... maybe you can see it? If not, then please move on and let's keep the peace.

and then you roll your eyes to be ignorant

well I guess I couldnt expect you to do anyhting else....its understandable ragus

as for the long winded reply you posted..man you over do it and thats why I refuse to respond to the entire post 1216..cuz I didnt lie I just wrote it how I saw it..end off and I wont discuss this with you again sorry sweetie you are on your own :tu:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

whatever what ragus??

Whats with the -- :rolleyes: <--displaying ignorance?? WHY??

How does the "rolleyes" emoticon display ignorance? :blink: Not sure how you make that connection, but I've never associated that with ignorance (rolleyes doesn't mean ignorance -- at least to me it never has). I put the "rolleyes" emoticon because I was tired (I tend to roll my eyes when I'm tired... as in "tired of what I'm hearing and I don't wish to discuss it more".... the yawning emoticon :sleepy: could mean the same thing... but I wasn't sleepy... just tired of something). Basically, I don't understand having to explain this? :hmm:

I responded with "whatever" to mean that you're going to say whatever you want to say and I'm going to say whatever I want to say... so to sum that up, I just put "whatever". It also was to mean that I was not going to argue with you. I just wanted to sum up my reply in one word and leave it at that. Maybe people don't use just the word "whatever" for a reply in Ireland, but they do here in the States. I think we're having a miscommunication block here due to our different cultures or backgrounds maybe? :unsure2:

as for the long winded reply you posted..man you over do it and thats why I refuse to respond to the entire post 1216..cuz I didnt lie I just wrote it how I saw it..end off and I wont discuss this with you again sorry sweetie you are on your own :tu:

There was a reason for the long-windedness (but I won't go into that :) ). The truth is out and that's all that matters. I forgive you. :wub:

How does the "rolleyes" emoticon display ignorance? :

awww there there ragus...its ok sweetie..you are angry...and ill leave you to it..i'll let you rant and rave ALL by your lonesome...I made my point...its done sweetheart :wub::sleepy:

sigh..pooor ragus... :( and yea you are right..only americans say -- Whatever...noone else does..yup you are soooooooo right :rolleyes: <--thats my whatever smilie LOL :rofl:

anyhoo I said my peice and ragus will go on and on.. :sleepy: <--make me do this LOL

Edited by Beckys_Mom

You know, I am really not a non-believer I think the god of Abraham is an actual being, but I think he and the being called Satan are one in the same. He is a demanding, vengeful, blood thirsty desert Jin. No disrespect intended just my opinion. I will not put my spirit in his hands. My Gods and Goddesses protect me and into their hands I put my spirit and my faith.

You think God and Satan are the same thing? How do you come to that conclusion? (other than saying God is "a demanding, vengeful, blood thirsty desert Jin"...LOL) I can sort of see why you'd say He's demanding... even vengeful... but still, how would that make God and Satan one and the same? In spite of God's power and wrath, He is loving and holy... Satan is evil... I don't see how you could confuse the two? :hmm:

You think God and Satan are the same thing? How do you come to that conclusion? (other than saying God is "a demanding, vengeful, blood thirsty desert Jin"...LOL) I can sort of see why you'd say He's demanding... even vengeful... but still, how would that make God and Satan one and the same? In spite of God's power and wrath, He is loving and holy... Satan is evil... I don't see how you could confuse the two? :hmm:

Thats DW belief... :sleepy:

...you are angry...

What "anger", BM? :huh:

I said I forgave you...in complete calmness. LOL. :rofl: (<----Look, I'm even rolling on the floor laughing! :lol: )

I'm HAPPY!!!! It's a GREAT day to be alive and I'm truly happy. :clap::-*:sk

Thats DW belief... :sleepy:

Yes, he already told me that's what he believes. :tu:

And I asked him to elaborate on how he makes that connection between God and Satan.... 'cause I'm not seeing how the two can be confused as being the same, ok?

What "anger", BM? :huh:

I said I forgave you...in complete calmness. LOL. :rofl: (<----Look, I'm even rolling on the floor laughing! :lol: )

I'm HAPPY!!!! It's a GREAT day to be alive and I'm truly happy. :clap::-*:sk

and the oscar goes to................................drum roll...drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ragus for his last post user posted image

pick one any one :rofl:

To get back on the subject here, I want to point out that if believing in God gives one eternal life in heaven (salvation), how could (as the name of this thread asks), believing in God "kill" someone? That's sort of contradictory. :hmm:

Like BM for example, she says she has a little girl named Becky... I've NOT seen evidence for Becky's existance... but at the same time, I'm not questioning whether she is real or not... I'm just taking BM's word for it. That's sort of what I was talking about -- why would someone call God an imaginary being just because evidence is not sitting on their lap?

I have seen evidence for Becky......a very cute little girl if I might add.

If there was everlasting life as described in the Bible....why is there a commandment "thou shall not kill"? :blink:

Only one person made a comment and that was Rhyknow.....no Christians :huh:

I have seen evidence for Becky......a very cute little girl if I might add.

Zandore, I was talking about ME -- that *I* have not seen the little girl... yet I don't question that she exists (in spite of that).

It can be compared to Jesus, I think. In Jesus' day, there were a lot of people that SAW him. But today, there's nothing to really show that he existed other than what's written in the Bible about him. Yet in spite of evidence for Jesus today, there are still a lot of people that believe he existed (and yeah, I might as well go ahead and say there are also a lot of people that don't believe he existed. There will always be people who DO believe though, just going on faith.) And that brings me back to my comment about BM's daughter... I've never seen her, but I am exhibiting faith in believing BM's daughter is real (in spite of the fact that I've never seen her). :tu:

why is there a commandment against killing, if the soul is eternal?

Well, for starters, none of us truly KNOW what happens when the physical body dies. We all have beliefs, faiths, ideas, etc, etc, but NO FACTUAL EVIDENCE for the survival of the spirit/soul.

Secondly, but more importantly, the commandments as I see them are merely rules for coexistance. Examine them for a moment, NOT as 'laws from god" but as human laws. What is their purpose? Not spiritually, but look at them from the viewpoint of tribal elders trying to maintain a society and make it grow.

do not murder. How can a small society/tribe continue to exist if besides the threat of attack from outsiders, they have to worry about watching out for each others daggers?

do not steal. Each member of the society must be able to have trust that what is theirs will not be stolen from them by other members of the tribe.

do not covet your neighbors possessions. Again, how can a society thrive, if it cannot trust its own members?

Honor your father and mother. What good is a society, if those who can no longer produce, are left to die? Tend to your family in their waning years. It also helps build a sense of 'belonging' to the group

Do not bear false witness. Ties in with the other rules. If I lie against my neighbor, and he is punished, well then, I might just help myself to his flocks and lands......

Keep the Sabbath. Do no work, but instead take the time to interact with your family and tribesmen. Building a sense of comraderie and fellowship. Identifying with "the group"

Do not swear falsely by God. Be truthful in your dealings with men, and do not make false promises. Again, building trust that what one says, one means.

Lastly:

No images of god/ One god before all others. Don't bow down to the gods of 'foreign' tribes. By uniting the people in common worship, one reinforces the sense of community identity. Remember, we are talking about primitive societies, where even the weather is seen as 'the gods will'. No graven images. The unseen and unportrayed are more powerful images in the mind than a representation of god. Better that each picture god in their mind and image the best/worst scenario.

For what better authority is there than "godlaw"? If I told you not to walk on the grass, you might very well say "Who are you? go jump" and walk where you please. BUT, if I said "Don't walk on the grass or that cop will arrest you", you would probably pay a little more heed to my words.

Just my 2 shekels worth.

Edited by JMPD1

If there was everlasting life as described in the Bible....why is there

a commandment "thou shall not kill"?

Alright zan, since you're requesting a Christian reply to that, here is mine...

The "everlasting life" that is described in the Bible is only for those who accept Christ. There will be consequences for those that reject Christ. Everlasting life is simply talking about living forever in heaven with God. Those that reject God are choosing to be without God. Their consequence is eternity in hell (being without God).

The commandment for "thou shalt not kill" is a rule for humans to follow because it's a sin to kill. If sin is not forgiven (by repenting that sin and accepting Christ), that is rejection... of which, the consequence is eternity in hell (without God).

Zandore, I was talking about ME -- that *I* have not seen the little girl... yet I don't question that she exists (in spite of that). ......

...... And that brings me back to my comment about BM's daughter... I've never seen her, but I am exhibiting faith in believing BM's daughter is real (in spite of the fact that I've never seen her).

Here is proof: Edit: Zandore, I have taken off the link to Becky's photo's to protect her anonymity. If BM wishes to post pics of her daughter this is fine. I hope you understand.

Now you have seen Becky :tu:

Edited by Lottie

Alright zan, since you're requesting a Christian reply to that, here is mine...

The "everlasting life" that is described in the Bible is only for those who accept Christ. There will be consequences for those that reject Christ. Everlasting life is simply talking about living forever in heaven with God. Those that reject God are choosing to be without God. Their consequence is eternity in hell (being without God).

The commandment for "thou shalt not kill" is a rule for humans to follow because it's a sin to kill. If sin is not forgiven (by repenting that sin and accepting Christ), that is rejection... of which, the consequence is eternity in hell (without God).

By the first paragraph, I see you reject the concept that the soul/spirit is eternal. Its an all or nothing proposition in your eyes: beleive or lose.

errr, actually, it says "Thou shall not murder".

Which makes sense since there is a lot of 'holy sponsored' killing in the OT.....

Whole tribes, and cities wiped out at the behest of god.

Here is proof: Edit: Zandore, I have taken off the link to Becky's photo's to protect her anonymity. If BM wishes to post pics of her daughter this is fine. I hope you understand.

Now you have seen Becky :tu:

My point, zandore, is that I don't need to see Becky to know she exists. As in this discussion, I don't need to see God to know He exists.

See what I'm saying? I was never doubting that Becky exists. I'm not looking at the pics. I don't need to see pics to believe she exists... see? That's what faith is all about. Believing without needing any evidence.

:tu:

By the first paragraph, I see you reject the concept that the soul/spirit is eternal. Its an all or nothing proposition in your eyes: beleive or lose.

Re-read that paragraph again, JM. Who said anything about the soul not being eternal? I sure didn't. I was saying that those that accept Christ will spend eternity in heaven with God.... and those who reject Christ will spend eternity in hell without God. Both cases, the soul goes on for eternity.

Edited by ragus

My point, zandore, is that I don't need to see Becky to know she exists. As in this discussion, I don't need to see God to know He exists.

See what I'm saying? I was never doubting that Becky exists. I'm not looking at the pics. I don't need to see pics to believe she exists... see? That's what faith is all about. Believing without needing any evidence.

:tu:

I understand you... :yes:

:blink: WOW I go off for a few hours and I came back to a discussion about my lil girl..her existance...and saw there had been a pic posted...and I wasnt even asked if it could be posted

I stopped posting pics here on UM a while ago..if someone wants to see/post a pic ...they can ask me 1st...its nice to get asked..after all they are on my forum and they are my pics

thank you :tu:

I stopped posting pics here on UM a while ago..if someone wants to see/post a pic ...they can ask me 1st...its nice to get asked..after all they are on my forum and they are my pics

I had posted a link to Rawberries.

Sorry BM.

I had posted a link to Rawberries.

Sorry BM.

It's ok Zannie...but could you ask me next time lol? :) cuz I wasnt here at the time and I had no idea what was going on...please understand

Re-read that paragraph again, JM. Who said anything about the soul not being eternal? I sure didn't. I was saying that those that accept Christ will spend eternity in heaven with God.... and those who reject Christ will spend eternity in hell without God. Both cases, the soul goes on for eternity.

So then we are back to the premis of All or Nothing:

Worship, obey and kneel and get rewarded by worshipping obeying and kneeling for eternity.

Don't and lose forever.