Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Is the Thylacine lost forever ?

21 posts in this topic

UM-Bot

news icon rThe Earth has lost many creatures as a result of human activity: The dodo and the passenger pigeon are among the best known. But in more recent years, one of the most spectacularly tragic losses in nature was Thylacinus cynocephalus, commonly called the thylacine, or Tasmanian tiger.

The Tasmanian tiger was a truly unusual species. Shaped like a wolf or hyena, it had a ginger-colored coat streaked with gorgeous, Doctor Seussian black stripes.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Washington Post

Ravinar

its stuff like this that makes me ashamed to be human :no:

frogfish

I do hope they are still there in the forrests of Queensland....

Hans Dolbrook

i wonder if they can get some DNA from some of the thylacine pups that are preserved,and try to artifically inseminate the tylacine's closest living relative,a dog,wolf,coyote,or a dingo?

frogfish
i wonder if they can get some DNA from some of the thylacine pups that are preserved,and try to artifically inseminate the tylacine's closest living relative,a dog,wolf,coyote,or a dingo

First of all...to inseminate you need sperm and egg...

Second, their closest relatives are tasmanian tigers, koalas, and wombats.

The Thylacine was a marsupial, not canine.

Edited by frogfish

robbieb

frogfish we have the ability to remove the dna from one call and replace it with the dna of another so in tern we could theoriticly do that but also its closest living relatives are not the koala and wombat although closer then a dog or coyote a devil or quoll

frogfish
closest living relatives are not the koala and wombat

after the tazzy devil :yes:

Grandpa Greenman

I haven't given up hope some are out there in what remains of the forests of Tasmania. It was thought the back footed ferret was gone, but a population was found. We can only hope for this beautiful creature. :(

robbieb

no u forget aobut quolls my friend its like saying our closest living relative is a baboon after the chimp u forget aobut gorillas and orangutangs. theres close but theres closer. quolls tigers and devils all belong to the same order koalas and wombats are not in the same order as quolls tigers and devils

Unreality

Yeah I hope there is still a population of this animal left, and I hope we don't find it...

frogfish
and I hope we don't find it...

why not?

AztecInca
I do hope they are still there in the forrests of Queensland....

The forests of Tasmania you mean right? Queensland is a state situated on the upper east side of the mainland.

miss-pelld

I agree with Ravinar...

But then theres the whole cloning situation going on, clone some lost animals perhaps?? Even though cloning could become the end of us, ya just never know...

Pandora7321

I think they do still exist. I have seen pictures on this site and others that people have taken very recently and they sure do look like a Thylacine. I mean, unless there is another striped four legged canine looking animal running around Tasmania.................

(And yes, I know it's not a canine. I said "canine looking" :P )

snuffypuffer

There was a link here a year or two ago about a cat trying to clone a thylacine. I wonder what came from that?

frogfish

When did cats gain the ability and knowledge to clone? Wow, they're smarter than I thought...

snuffypuffer

Cats have all kinds of secrets. :yes:

frogfish
:o Really? Enligten me O Snuffy!

snuffypuffer

Cats can also breathe underwater and shoot laser beams from their eyes. If we knew about this we'd ruin their plot for world domination. :yes:

Hello Mod! Off topic you say? Surely not!

Pandora7321

Well, my two cats certainly have me trained, that's for sure. If they're in cahoots with the Thylacines, we're screwed! ;)