Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Griffins

Penelope_the_Penguin

Hmm...nice picture Engulf.. thumbsup.gif ..Penguiin..i never seen a griffin.. sad.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penelope_the_Penguin

• thepsychoticseaotter

• Halo_Jones

• Benjo Koolzooie

Okay, It's me again.

This Griffin, I saw it in a small area of Southland called Kapuka. It's near Invercargil. Rural farmland area. There have been all sorts of odd sightings there nd in other rural parts of NZ. E.g. someone saw a giant eagle from a Maori myth and a few people have seen Moas. It was not Big Bird and I am NOT on drugs. Do you know what they can do to your body? The penguin thing is 'cause I like penguins. It was that or Penelope_the_Phoenix which may have been more appropriate under the circumstances.

Signing off now, tata

Penelope

Penelope_the_Penguin Posted on Oct 19 2003, 07:07 AM

Well...I saw something that looked like it was yellow-gold and feathery. It's body was sort of elongated..not quite like a birds...and it was definately big,

Prehaps the people down at Sesame Street finally saw sense and fired Big Bird out of a cannon! whistling2.gif

If you keep your eyes peeled you might see a Mr Snuffleluffacus soon ph34r.gif

Hey, Halo, is that a dig? Snuffs has been right here all along laugh.gif

I'm kidding, please don't kick me.

laugh.gif @ snuffy tongue.gif oops! I didn't mean you, although now you mention it, a cannon ride for you might be fun bounce.gif

Okay, I swear that the other night I saw a griffin. Has anyone else seen one? Where and how big do you reckon it was?

P the P,

If you expect to be taken seriously you need to give all your infomation at the begining, like a good description, the time of day, where it took place, if there was anyone else that witnessed it, any local legends linked to the area, ect, ect. Then you might get some serious replys. thumbsup.gif

* Note: I said "might"

rolleyes.gif

Description There are a couple descriptions for Griffins: one is that it is part bird and part lion. Sometimes it is specified as part lion, part eagle. Occasionally, it is represented as a lion's body with an eagles head (without wings.) Griffins are frequently large, capable of carrying a man and horse, or an elephant, in its talons. The term Griffin is also used to describe a large bird (see Roc.)

Features The long nails on a griffin's feet are as big as oxen horns, and can be used as cups. The ribs can be used to make a bow. A male griffin that mates with a female horse produces a Hippogryph. According to Olaus Magnus, they live in the "Northern Mountains." According to Marco Polo, they are from Madagascar. Can be hostile to horses.

Also called Griffon or Gryphon

Could Actually be A large bird such as a Moa or a Condor, or the extinct elephant bird of Madagascar.

Described By: Pomponius Mela- " In Europe, constantly falling snow makes those places contiguous with the Riphean Mountains so impassable that, in addition, they prevent those who deliberately travel here from seeing anything. After that comes a region of very rich soil but quite uninhabitable because griffins, a savage and tenacious breed of wild beasts, love- to an amazing degree- the gold that is mined from deep within the earth there, and because they guard it with an amazing hostility to those who set foot there." (Romer, 1998.)

Mandeville- "In this land are many gryffons, more than in other places, and some say they have the body before as an Egle, and behinde as a Lyon, and it is trouth, for they be made so; but the griffen hath a body greater than 8 lyons, and stall worthier than a hundred eagles. For certainly he wyl beare to his nest flying, a horse and a man upon his back, or two oxen yoked together." (speaking of the land called Bactria)

Isidore of Seville- "The Gryphes are so called because they are winged quadrupeds. This kind of wild beast is found in the Hyperborean Mountains. In every part of their body they are lions, and in wings and heads are like eagles, and they are fierce enemies of horses. Moreover they tear men to pieces." (Brehaut, 1912)

...Hippogriff...

Description A winged horse with the head and claws of an eagle. (The head, wings and front legs of a griffin, and the back legs of a horse.)

Features An elusive creature that can fly long distances at high altitudes. From the Riphaean mountains.

Also called Simoorgh or Simurgh or Senmurv - the Persian version, sometimes featured as a cross between a dog or lion and a huge bird.

Described By: Epic poems of Saadi and Ferdusi.

Milton- "So saying he caught him up, and without wing Of hippogrif, bore through the air sublime Over the wilderness and o'er the plain." ( Paradise Regained)

Thomas Bulfinch- "Like a griffin, he had the head of an eagle, claws armed with talons, and wings covered with feathers, the rest of his body being that of a horse. This strange animal is called a Hippogriff." (Legends of Charlemagne)

Meaning Griffins and horses were supposed to be mortal enemies. The Hippogriff symbolizes an impossible thing. There is an old expression "Jungentur jam grypes equis" which means "To cross griffons with horses", indicating an impossible scenario.

...Harry Potter will be riding a Hippofriff in HP part 3 tongue.gif

Excellent info Paulo, Thanks.

Looking forward to the next Harry Potter film just to see what the Hippogriffs look like especially "Buckbeak" original.gif

Are u kidding?!!! Drug are good... they let u see griffins.

Griffins aren't the only things you can see with drugs.......typing is cool.

Looking forward to the next Harry Potter film just to see what the Hippogriffs look like especially "Buckbeak"

I just hope Sirius is feeding him properly? dontgetit.gif

a grifen half eagal half loin not a realy posibel animal

if I understand this near leet speak I think a half loin is not an animal however it is a tasty dish.....

Firstly. bigdog112. Can you at least try to make your typing comprehensible? No one can proof-read that badly. Also, like I said earlier. It may not have necessarily been a Griffin. The fact that it was griffin shaped, was goldish coloured, flying and about the size I'd expect for a griffin, may have led me to jump to conclusions. After all, how many big golden flying creatures do you see in rural New Zealand? Not many...in fact I'd say none. The fact that I'm a mythology geek could have something to do with the fact it looked like a griffin. What I'm interested in is whether they've been sighted before. Can you dismiss my idea as complete bull unless you have any experience in the matter? By that I mean you have actually proven there is no such thing as the griffin. In mythology there is and myths are often based on truth. So it is actually entirely plausible that what I saw was indeed a Griffin as I believe. And I know Harry Potter will be riding a hippogriff in Harry Potter and the prisoners of Azkaban (not HP 3) because the book was published several years ago.

Edited for vulgarity and excessive immaturity.

Bigdog - Your response was inappropriate and offensive, and has been edited accordingly. Spewing obscenities and making verbal threats are violations to the forum guidelines. Participation in this forum requires that you adhere to those guidelines. - Magikman

Edited by Magikman

Edited

Relax....Maybe English isn't your first language, but you didn't give any details in you profile as to where you are from. If you were from a non English speaking country, that would probably get you some leeway.

Besides, that was just Sea Otter. He didn't mean any harm.....I think. whistling2.gif

Edited by Magikman

Edited

Besides, that was just Sea Otter. He didn't mean any harm.....I think. 

Well I didn't until I read his reply...NOW, I mean every word of it....

*sigh* but I guess to keep all happy I'll be nice but man what a mouth on that kid...haven't heard that many "f-words" since..... well lets see.....Oh yeah me talking about the Clinton Administration...... tongue.gif

Edited by Magikman

I think it would be best if bigdog112 left.

People with that sort of attitude aren't usually appreciated around here.

Edited

Sorry, I'm an English and Classical Studies teacher at James Hargiss High School in Invercargill. I'm a bit of a stickler for spelling and I apologise for that. Also, many of the other sites I go on are for work where posts or articles are all correct.

And you must be from America to talk about spelling bees. They just don't happen anywhere else in the world.

Thanks for the site MoonFox. Much appreciated.

Edited by Magikman

Oh, and just to point out Bigdog112. You didn't just mispell griffin (which, by the way, is the correct spelling) but:

Bigdog112's sentence "a grifen half eagal half loin not a realy posibel animal"

Corrected sentence: "A Griffin, half eagle, half lion, not a really possible animal." Notice the difference? I know I'm pedantic but not even my year nine classes spell that badly.

Penelope I am laughing so hard right now I can barley type laugh.gif that was FUNNY!!!!

Just a quick note to the members. It would be appreciated that posts similar to Bigdogs be reported to us so that problems can be kept to a minimum and outbursts like his don't escalate beyond manageability. This could have become far uglier than it did.

Magikman