Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Venezuelan Ape Man

Mr Black

A Swiss geologist named François de Loys photographed this creature in Venezuela sometime around 1920. He claimed that the creature was a tailless, five-foot tall ape which he had encountered (and killed) in the jungle. The problem is that apes are not native to the Americas. The actual finding of one would have thrown the entire theory of primate evolution into disarray. Therefore, the scientific community concluded this photo was a fake

Realizing that an American ape was an important zoological find, de Loys took a picture of the creature seated on an oil can, a long stick holding up its head. He then did his best to preserve the creature's remains, though he lacked the necessary tools to do so.

Months later, de Loys made it back to civilization. Unfortunately, by this time he had lost the ape's remains during an attack by a group of Motilones Indians. However, he still had the picture.

Nine years later an account of de Loys' encounter with the tailless ape, accompanied by the above photograph, was published in the Illustrated London News. It immediately caused a scientific uproar.

The Paris Academy of Sciences met to discuss de Loys' discovery. The accepted theory of primate evolution held that apes and humans had evolved only in the Old World (in Africa, in particular). The discovery of a New World ape would have seriously complicated this theory.

After long deliberation and discussion of the evidence, the scientists decided that the picture taken by de Loys did not display a species of ape. Instead, it showed a sapajou, a common New World monkey. The only evidence that it was not a sapajou was its size (for which they only had de Loys' word), and its lack of a tail (which de Loys could have concealed or cut off).

[attachmentid=26537]

post-34425-1151233624.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• frogfish

• Byuu94

• Alan W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe this is an ape that was shot in the Congo.

I've seen this photo attached to Congo stories before. It probably is a species of ape that has evaded identification.

Every story I have read on this said this ape was from the congo.

I have also heard that this creature was shot in the Congo...I have heard both stories...

Its just a Spider monkey on a tea crate.

Yeah it definitely doesn't make me think 'ape man'. :tu:

Ive seen this before it was in a book a friend of mine gave me to read. Apparently de loys and his associates came across a few of these creatures whilst in the middle of a dense jungle, cant remember where. The reason i remember this is because it is a slightly humerous story, apparently the apes began to deficate into their hands and throw it at the group of humans in a form of defense. It was then that they shot the animal and its friends escaped. I imagine it wouldnt be so amusing if i was being attacked by tons of flying monkey ****! anyways i remember reading that the monkey was in fact very real and not a fake or stuffed one. After various investigations by experts the conclusion was that the monkey was far smaller than de Loys had tried to claim and that it was clever photography and the use of small props such as the tea box that made it look comparable to humans in size. Wether that was indeed the case has never been proven.

Edited by captain pish

The last time I was at the zoo the chimp threw some kibble at us. No poo tho, so we let it live.

Does the feces hurling monkey really deserve to die

The banana chuckers do...I lost a friend to those fiends!

I seen that picture all over the internet

very old pic don't think it's

a Ape Man pic.

Seen this before, it is just a spider monkey.

:yes: I believe so

1. It is from Venezuela, I don't know why people have labelled it as coming from the congo.

2. It's a petrol crate.

3. Spider Monkey vs. De Loys Ape

4. user posted image

So what is your opinion? Do you think it was a 'bigfoot'?

Ewwww. It's things like this that make me favor legalized prostitution.

Hitman

:huh:

What? So...confused....talking...like...William Shatner.....

So what is your opinion? Do you think it was a 'bigfoot'?

Not neccessarily, I just want people to think about it for more than a few seconds before brushing it off as a spider monkey. I'm personally undecided.

Not neccessarily, I just want people to think about it for more than a few seconds before brushing it off as a spider monkey. I'm personally undecided.

I'm in favor of some type of monkey although I don't know what kind. I have seen this before and heard the story that they tried to make it look bigger than it actually was. That makes sense because no people posed with it. Logically if you took down a large ape man, you'd want your pic made with it like the proud hunter. That's just what I think anyhoo... :tu:

It made me remember of Ucu, a south american ape-man. But they probably aren't Ucus, just some sort of normal monkeys.

It looks almost nothing like a spider monkey, but I highly doubt it's an ape-man, like others said, it's most likely an inidentified species of ape. It obviously climbs in trees, it has the same uild of a tree climbing monkey, long fingers and limbs, but it has no visible tail, so unless they hid it's tail it's most likely an ape.

• 4 weeks later...

it throws poo? catch it and chain it outside your door.