Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Pontefract Poltergeist

colorless

About 30 years ago Colin Wilson wrote a book called "Poltergeist!" and this case about the Pontefract Poltergeist is in it. I've got the book and it's a great read, but spooky if you are reading on your own late at night.

Edited by Blackwhite

• 2 months later...

One thing that Colin Wilson has said in the book Poltergeist a study of destructive haunting is, why would anyone make up the Pontefract Poltergeist, it's activities frighting as they were, were also completely pointless.

One thing that Colin Wilson has said in the book Poltergeist a study of destructive haunting is, why would anyone make up the Pontefract Poltergeist, it's activities frighting as they were, were also completely pointless.

Saying "why would anyone make this up?" doesn't make a claim more credible. There's no real way to know what motivates anyone to do strange things.

• 4 months later...

i have also lived in pontefract for all my life, the black monk is the name that i know of this and the house is near me as i live in carleton glen. i was just wondering if you know anything about the house on carleton road near the flats that i believe has been under refurbishments for as long as i can remember if you can give me some info i'd appreciate it.

• 8 months later...

hi acebam!

my name is bulletshaundakin and im doing a documentary on this house in a few weeks in the meantime im getting as much research as i can if you would like to help me out more please contact me on my email address or msn account the-him-bullet09@hotmail.com

if there is anything you would like to tell me about this house before me and a few overs spend a weekend in there documenting it all with cameras though out the house

we all so are getting backed by one of the biggest tv program channels on the uk network channel 5 but are yet to be confirmed

thanks for your time bulletshaundakin!

Hi therandomhero!

This is probably too late because I came across the thread by accident, and you've probably moved on....but for what it's worth, i've known about the Black Monk since I was a child.

My uncle was a neighbour of the pritchards.(their back gardens were adjacent to each other). My uncle 'George Gluck' was pals with Joe and they were frequent guests in each others homes.

My uncles house was at 25 Chequerfield Avenue, and I cannot remember what the Pritchards street was called, but it was only a few yards away.

Uncle George sadly passed away in 1995, and I have'nt been to the estate since.

All that I can tell you is that uncle George said that he believed that Joe honestly believed that he was being haunted by a real poltergeist! And that if there was any fakery..then it would have been performed by the kids!!

He said that because not long after the 'haunting' had begun , my uncle himself had a brief period where there were tiny stones being thrown at his windows at the back side of the house... The side that was facing the Pritchards house!

It went on for a couple or three days, until my uncles patience had worn away...and on the final night of the annoying pings and bangs coming from the kitchen windows...my uncle ran out into the back garden and yelled threats at whoever was doing this stupid nonsense !!

Of course there was no reply!...But it never happened again!

And though he had no proof...he always said that he was sure that it was the Pritchard's teenage son that had been doing it!

But as for the poltergeist being real?..well uncle George was never sure!...He would just say that Joe and Jean believed it!...but that he never personally witnessed anything otherworldly!...Though he watched his friend turn from non believer to believer, and for a couple of years the mounting tension in the house made him uneasy and his visits came to a stop!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

i have also lived in pontefract for all my life, the black monk is the name that i know of this and the house is near me as i live in carleton glen. i was just wondering if you know anything about the house on carleton road near the flats that i believe has been under refurbishments for as long as i can remember if you can give me some info i'd appreciate it.

Hi I my family and I were only wondering about the house on Carleton Road a few days ago. We have never known it to be occupied and have lived in the area all our lives too. Did anyone get back to you with any information about the place? If you have been able to find out anything new would you share it with us, we're stumped as to why the house keeps being sold, get a bit of renovation the the shutters go up again only for the process to be repeated a year or so later. Hopefully someone will know something.

• 1 month later...

9 Carleton road you mean? I heard that people lived in there the windows would smash by themselves and had majour poltergeist activity. theres always building work there and people that buy dont stay for long..

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the bell witch case? Anyway this would be a goldmine if there was any video proof, or if is studied by a credible university.

lol yea it does. My friend also told me that builders tools would go missing.. you should read about the parkside hotel in pontefract thats supposed to be very haunted =)

• 4 months later...

AS I HAVE LIVED IN PONTEFRACT ALL MY LIFE I HAVE PRIVVY TO SOME INSIDE INFORMATION ALSO BEING A MEDIUM ALSO HELPS I ACTUALLY NO THE FAMILY IN THE STORY AND WHERE THE HOUSE IS IN PONTEFRACT I HAVE VISITED THE HOUSE AND THERE IS A LOT OF ENERGY IN THE HOUSE ALTHOUGH THE ENERGY THAT WAS THERE HAS SUBSIDED A GREAT DEAL THE ENERGY IS STILL THERE AND SO IS FORCE THAT SURROUNDS THE HOUSE. 1 COMMENT WAS POSTED FURTHER UP BY HAMSTER SAYING THIS WAS NOT REPORTED HOWEVER IN EARLIER EDITIONS OF THE PONTEFRACT AND CASTLEFORD EXPRESS THE STORY WAS REPORTED ON BUT THE FAMILY WAS PASSED AS HOAXERS HOWEVER IN THE EARLY 1980'S WHEN THE ACTIVITY WOULD BE AT IT'S PEAK A REPORTER FROM THE DAILY MIRROR AND STAYED THE NIGHT AND WITNESSED SOME EXTRODINARY PHENOMENOM HE DOCUMENTED AND TOOK SOME PHOTOS SOME WHICH WERE PUBLISHED IN THE PAPER. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS INFORMATION

Edited by shyannf49

i too lived in pontefract, and recalls the events in Chequerfeild house vividly , and wondered if you all knew september 2012 there is to be a film released called ; "when the lights went out" this is the story of the haunting,

this is link to the trailer of it , from you tube :yes:

I am looking forward to going to cinama to see this

xxx

shaynn

Just been past the house in question today? 9 Carleton road? and as i was driven by a bit fast ? but from what i could see? it looked as tho thathouse had been knocked down?

xx

Shaynn

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading up on black monk of Pontefract this eve,

This story was brought to my attention by my dad as we have been looking into having our house blessed,

Long story but we have has so many strange things happen in our house, activity that would certainly suggest the actions of a poltergeist, and I live only 5 mins drive from the house in chequer field,

We keep trying to make excuses and find rational explanations for the strange happenings, but some things even my partner who is a complete disbeliever can't find explanation for,

We have tried contacting our local priest at our worst point, he was out at the time, and we felt foolish and left it in the end andwhen we explained to others, I think outsiders prob think we r nuts lol,

We have a 15 year old daughter a 3 year old and a 2 year old,

Who can I approach I wonder to get our house blessed,

Without sounding bonkers.

Should a priest be my first port of call. ?

Or should I approach a medium

Any advice would b great x

• Like 1

Who can I approach I wonder to get our house blessed,

Without sounding bonkers.

Should a priest be my first port of call. ?

Or should I approach a medium

Any advice would b great x

Not a priest, my friend, except he is a pro exorcist, rather an "official" expert serious exorcist. But i tell you that there have been cases where not even the best exorcists cast out evil beings from a particular place or region.

However that would, rather will, ease things at your house, however the phenomena can return to be the same as it was before the exorcism, or be worst (who knows).

Mediums are nonsuspecting people in general who should not contact the spirit world, we can ask for spiritual Signs anytime but not seeking to communicate with "spirits", unless we learn the basics & Sometimes try to contact Loyal celestials. It's good for finding the Truth look into the spirit world, but not go to far into compromise with it.

Let yourselves also in your family, Della, all together, try to help those dark souls, save them from anything in general & specifically, (find yourselves how), and ask real petitions to GOD (click) that the strangers go away or that they dont hurt any of you whatsoever, with living faith. If that doesn't work, it will demonstrate that it won't leave, and maybe you should leave? i dont even know if what happens to you will get worse....

JESUS, within Urantia:

http://urantia.org/u...nd-in-decapolis

2. The Discourse on Prayer

(1618.5) 144:2.1 “John indeed taught you a simple form of prayer: ‘O Father, cleanse us from sin, show us your glory, reveal your love, and let your spirit sanctify our hearts forevermore, Amen!’ He taught this prayer that you might have something to teach the multitude. He did not intend that you should use such a set and formal petition as the expression of your own souls in prayer.

(1618.6) 144:2.2 “Prayer is entirely a personal and spontaneous expression of the attitude of the soul toward the spirit; prayer should be the communion of sonship and the expression of fellowship. Prayer, when indited by the spirit, leads to co-operative spiritual progress. The ideal prayer is a form of spiritual communion which leads to intelligent worship. True praying is the sincere attitude of reaching heavenward for the attainment of your ideals.

(1619.1) 144:2.3 “Prayer is the breath of the soul and should lead you to be persistent in your attempt to ascertain the Father’s will. If any one of you has a neighbor, and you go to him at midnight and say: ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine on a journey has come to see me, and I have nothing to set before him’; and if your neighbor answers, ‘Trouble me not, for the door is now shut and the children and I are in bed; therefore I cannot rise and give you bread,’ you will persist, explaining that your friend hungers, and that you have no food to offer him. I say to you, though your neighbor will not rise and give you bread because he is your friend, yet because of your importunity he will get up and give you as many loaves as you need. If, then, persistence will win favors even from mortal man, how much more will your persistence in the spirit win the bread of life for you from the willing hands of the Father in heaven. Again I say to you: Ask and it shall be given you; seek and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you. For every one who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks the door of salvation will be opened.

(1619.2) 144:2.4 “Which of you who is a father, if his son asks unwisely, would hesitate to give in accordance with parental wisdom rather than in the terms of the son’s faulty petition? If the child needs a loaf, will you give him a stone just because he unwisely asks for it? If your son needs a fish, will you give him a watersnake just because it may chance to come up in the net with the fish and the child foolishly asks for the serpent? If you, then, being mortal and finite, know how to answer prayer and give good and appropriate gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the spirit and many additional blessings to those who ask him? Men ought always to pray and not become discouraged.

(1619.3) 144:2.5 “Let me tell you the story of a certain judge who lived in a wicked city. This judge feared not God nor had respect for man. Now there was a needy widow in that city who came repeatedly to this unjust judge, saying, ‘Protect me from my adversary.’ For some time he would not give ear to her, but presently he said to himself: ‘Though I fear not God nor have regard for man, yet because this widow ceases not to trouble me, I will vindicate her lest she wear me out by her continual coming.’ These stories I tell you to encourage you to persist in praying and not to intimate that your petitions will change the just and righteous Father above. Your persistence, however, is not to win favor with God but to change your earth attitude and to enlarge your soul’s capacity for spirit receptivity.

(1619.4) 144:2.6 “But when you pray, you exercise so little faith. Genuine faith will remove mountains of material difficulty which may chance to lie in the path of soul expansion and spiritual progress.”

some of these strange beings are not that evil and simply mischievous or dark or lost & Hopeless, but in general all such would be evil from what is Revealed, and others are sinful which is worst, and the very worst ones would be the iniquitous:

Urantia's section on

Evil, Sin, and Iniquity

I've got a book about the South Shields poltergeist which caused chaos in a house there in 2005 and 2006.

It often manifested itself in the form of a creepy-looking man with a beard and a tall black hat - but only the little boy, Robert (not his real name), saw him. The boy would often see this entity floating above his bed at night near the ceiling looking down on him.

On another occasion the boy and his mother were in the kitchen and the mother couldn't get a cupboard door to stay shut. Everytime she shut it it slowly opened again. Eventually the boy told her that "the man" was crouched inside the cupboard and kept pushing the door open again.

One evening the family were in the living room and Robert told his mother that the man is sitting next to her on the sofa. When she looked there was an indentation next to her on the sofa as though there was somebody sitting there.

Marianne assumed at first that this man was just a figment of her child's imagination. Until one night the young boy was in bed and his mum and stepdad, Marc (not his real name), were watching TV. They had a baby monitor set up - one in the boy's bedroom and one in the living room. Suddenly they heard a man's voice on the baby monitor from the bedroom which said: "You are going to fall out of bed." They raced upstairs, went into his bedroom but there was no man there, but the young boy was leaning precariously over the side of the bed.

The mother, Marianne (not her real name) started to receive horrifying messages on her little son's doodle board. The messages were in child-like scrawl and some were written as though the writer had difficulty with English. The messages said things like “Die b****”, “RIP”, and “Go b**** now to your mam.”

Chilling text messages then began appearing on Marianne’s phone. One warned her: “Going to die today, going to get you.” Another read: “I can get you when you awake and I’ll come for you when you asleep b****.” When she checked she discovered that the messages appeared to have not come from another mobile phone. They just seemed to come from nowhere.

One day Marianne wrote out a prayer for Robert on a large piece of paper. When she re-read the prayer a few hours later, the words “Your God can’t help you now!” had been scribbled across it in jagged multi-coloured letters.

Eventually the family called in two local paranormal investigators who performed loads of tests (it was they who eventually wrote the book on the haunting).

At one point they were in the garden and saw one of the boy's toys come flying threw his bedroom window and landing on the lawn. However, the boy's bedroom window was closed.

Eventually they managed to communicate with the entity by writing messages on the child's doodle board. They would write a message and leave it in the boy's wardrobe and made sure nobody entered the bedroom. They would eventually hear a thump from inside the wardrobe and, whenever they went to investigate, they would see a reply to their message written in child-like scrawl on the doodle board.

wp8e99a4b6_05_06.jpg

One day one of the investigators, named Mike, saw a dark figure outside Robert's bedroom.

“The entity strode slowly but purposefully from the bathroom and walked across the landing into the master bedroom,” said Mike. “As it passed the door to Robert's room, it paused and stared icily at me. Its face, devoid of all features such as eyes, was cold and menacing. It felt like it was burrowing into my soul. It was large – maybe two metres in height – and midnight black. It was a three-dimensional silhouette that radiated sheer evil.”

In addition, the poltergeist was witnessed by dozens of people – and its chilling antics captured on film. On one occasion a group of six paranormal investigators witnessed an attack on Marc. He was left with horrific scratches all over his back and the photo of it appears in the book. They also saw levitating crockery, ornaments teleporting from room to room, and ghostly sounds emanating from a baby monitor. Several of these incidents were captured on stills cameras, such as a bottle of water on the kitchen table defying gravity by leaning over without resting on anything.

The investigators came to the conclusion that Marc) was the focus of the haunting, which is quite unusual because poltergeist foci are usually young children.

The South Shields poltergeist: http://www.mikehallowell.com/shieldspolt/wpimages/wp916dca3e_06.png

5860617441_532958d1f2_z.jpg

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

The Pontefract Poltergeist, for those that have asked, took place at, 30 East Drive, Chequerfield Estate, Pontefract.

Source: Born in Pontefract, still live 3 miles distance from there (too) many years later.

i too lived in pontefract, and recalls the events in Chequerfeild house vividly , and wondered if you all knew september 2012 there is to be a film released called ; "when the lights went out" this is the story of the haunting,

this is link to the trailer of it , from you tube :yes:

I am looking forward to going to cinama to see this

xxx

shaynn

Just been past the house in question today? 9 Carleton road? and as i was driven by a bit fast ? but from what i could see? it looked as tho thathouse had been knocked down?

xx

Shaynn

y Edited by tadd

xx

Shaynn

xx

Shaynn

I had a mate whos husband and two work collegues walked off a job due to hammers being thrown across the room at them during work on an house in carlton road. It must be the same house people talk about. Just roynd the corner at work i witnessed with a cillegue a chair rocking and a bunch of hellium balloons banging down so hard at the table near us we all screamed. I was so afraid because it was as if someo.e had grabbed the balloons and banged them so hard for attention. Scarey stuff believe me when you witness it you make every excuse for it not to,have happened and its just unbelievable

Edited by tadd
  • Like 1