Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moody Springs Hitch Hiker, Upstate SC

CongressmanReality

If you are ever in Upstate SC (blue ridge mountain area) there is a ghost hitch hiker who you can pick up at Moody Springs and he will ask for a ride to the NC Border (about 15 miles away) you can pick him up, have a conversation and when you stop to let him out...he will vanish. Can't remember the exacts, but he only shows on a certain date and under certain weather conditions, apparently he was hitch hiking there many years and got hit by a car and died.

I actually grew up in the area and first heard about it through a book called SC Hauntings, or SC Ghost or something when I was in the 5th grade....once in HS me and some buddies of mine tried it out...first time, we freaked out and didn't stop to pick him up....2nd time we picked him up...took him to NC...stoped the car, he got out and disappeared...I highly recommend trying it out if you are in the area....will make a believer out of anyone...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• coldethyl

• CongressmanReality

• greeneyedoll

Sounds interesting!

How did the man look style wise, could you date him? was he aware of you and his sourroundings or was he just going through the motions of a typical hitch hiker....?

Something about this that almost sounds more like a sort of timeslip

If you are ever in Upstate SC (blue ridge mountain area) there is a ghost hitch hiker who you can pick up at Moody Springs and he will ask for a ride to the NC Border (about 15 miles away) you can pick him up, have a conversation and when you stop to let him out...he will vanish. Can't remember the exacts, but he only shows on a certain date and under certain weather conditions, apparently he was hitch hiking there many years and got hit by a car and died.

I actually grew up in the area and first heard about it through a book called SC Hauntings, or SC Ghost or something when I was in the 5th grade....once in HS me and some buddies of mine tried it out...first time, we freaked out and didn't stop to pick him up....2nd time we picked him up...took him to NC...stoped the car, he got out and disappeared...I highly recommend trying it out if you are in the area....will make a believer out of anyone...

Sounds like a trap- "yeah my friends and I also picked up phantom hitchhikers so make sure you bring a lot of cash and pick up the guy holding the knapsack. When you stop he will vanish!"- yeah with your money. It reminds me of when there were a lot of people pretending to have car trouble to rob tourists.

Maybe you had a true ghostly experience however, why would anyone actually suggest letting some stranger in their car in SC?

Sounds like a trap- "yeah my friends and I also picked up phantom hitchhikers so make sure you bring a lot of cash and pick up the guy holding the knapsack. When you stop he will vanish!"- yeah with your money. It reminds me of when there were a lot of people pretending to have car trouble to rob tourists.

Maybe you had a true ghostly experience however, why would anyone actually suggest letting some stranger in their car in SC?

haha that could be one explaination. And I agree, it's risky letting a stranger in your car, it is the living after all that we should worry about! :unsure2:

I don't know but that sounded pretty fishy. Ha ha.

One time I went to a few historic places in my town which were considered haunted and the only things I saw were weird shadows, a homeless man and some rats. The homeless guy honked his crotch at me. It was scary enough that I did not miss the haunting.

As you said, people are the ones to be scared of.

I don't know but that sounded pretty fishy. Ha ha.

One time I went to a few historic places in my town which were considered haunted and the only things I saw were weird shadows, a homeless man and some rats. The homeless guy honked his crotch at me. It was scary enough that I did not miss the haunting.

As you said, people are the ones to be scared of.

:lol: maybe he had a demon down there

What??? Ok so you've obviously never been to upstate sc....its nothing but mountains and rivers....there is ZERO Crime in this area....moody springs is in the middle of nowhere going up the side of a mountain...there is no way a criminal would go hang out on the side of the road and attempt to rob one of the local hillbillies....guess you have to go there to appreciate it...but trust me...noones getting robbed....you might get attacked by a bear...but not robbed by another human...

:lol: maybe he had a demon down there

:lol::lol:

I know some people do....

:devil:

....once in HS me and some buddies of mine tried it out...first time, we freaked out and didn't stop to pick him up....2nd time we picked him up...took him to NC...stoped the car, he got out and disapperared

Let me get this straight....you pick-up a "ghost" on the side of the road...which is what you went there to try and do...and you succeeded...drove this "ghost" (that you specifically went there to pick-up) 15 miles to the NC boarder.........AND YOU GOT NO EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER...NO PIC...NO VIDEO.....NOTHING!!!!????? 15 MILES....AND NOTHING!!!!!????? Did the "apparition" say anything? Did you or any of the other nuclear engineers in the car try to interact with it in any way?

Just as an aside to this semi-rant: Why do they call it "common" sense when it really isn't(this situation is a prime example) all that "common"

Let me get this straight....you pick-up a "ghost" on the side of the road...which is what you went there to try and do...and you succeeded...drove this "ghost" (that you specifically went there to pick-up) 15 miles to the NC boarder.........AND YOU GOT NO EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER...NO PIC...NO VIDEO.....NOTHING!!!!????? 15 MILES....AND NOTHING!!!!!????? Did the "apparition" say anything? Did you or any of the other nuclear engineers in the car try to interact with it in any way?

Just as an aside to this semi-rant: Why do they call it "common" sense when it really isn't(this situation is a prime example) all that "common"

Yeah we are still waiting for the OP to answer these questions. We do need more details....

What??? Ok so you've obviously never been to upstate sc....its nothing but mountains and rivers....there is ZERO Crime in this area....moody springs is in the middle of nowhere going up the side of a mountain...there is no way a criminal would go hang out on the side of the road and attempt to rob one of the local hillbillies....guess you have to go there to appreciate it...but trust me...noones getting robbed....you might get attacked by a bear...but not robbed by another human...

I'm not calling you a liar or saying that you and your friends are waiting to jump anyone who posts that they might try it on here, however it's one thing when you spin around in the bathroom calling out for a ghost and see something funny in the mirror, and a very different one when you personally claim to have experiences picking up a guy on the side of the road and having him vanish right before your eyes.

And then to suggest other people go out in the mountains and look for hitchhikers.

I just meant to comment that it was a little odd and sounds dangerous.

I have been to SC and while maybe not the road you speak of, it doesn't matter because if I see a man hitchhiking along a isolated mountain area I would not stop the car.

If you have seen this entity several times, then next time he gets in the car for a chat why not record it? The apparition is apparently lonely.

To Anvil-

Ha ha!!!!!! There had to be something going on there.

It's sad when the highlight of your ghost hunting experience is having a homeless guy "shake it like his mama gave him" at you.

I lived in SC for 4 years and I wouldn't pick up hitch hikers from there or anywhere else I've ever lived. :yes:

I lived in SC for 4 years and I wouldn't pick up hitch hikers from there or anywhere else I've ever lived. :yes:

Not even if they offered you candy?

That takes a will of steel.

I don't think picking up hitchhikers is a wise idea at the best of times, but each to there own I suppose.

Well the only hitch hikers I have ever seen around here are drunks trying to get a lift home from the pub.

One incident that comes to mind was an old drunk man who had decided to take over a quiet zebra crossing (road crossing) by staggering up and down it to stop cars. I came along very slowly and stopped. He then turned to face me and started shaking his fists, effing and blinding in the middle of the road telling me to get off the ******* road :rolleyes: Thankfully when he reached the other side of the crossing I quickly nipped across it :D

It never did make sense to me...

Not even if they offered you candy?

That takes a will of steel.

That's true. Especially if they had Charleston Chews ....I might have to stop and confiscate the candy.... ;)

That's true. Especially if they had Charleston Chews ....I might have to stop and confiscate the candy.... ;)

*Takes note of Coldethyl's obvious weakness* That'll cost ya, lol.

*Takes note of Coldethyl's obvious weakness* That'll cost ya, lol.

:o

Oh no! Foiled again! Actually, all YOU had to do was ask! ;)

Hazelnut. That too....make a note... :lol:

Is it time to play the 'waiting music' in this thread?

There's stores and malls there.

http://www.upstatescusa.com

I live in Charlotte NC. Not too far.

Too bad no pics, or vid eh? Something that profound and nothing to show for it. Pity.

While Greenville SC, may technically be associated with Upstate SC....Up above Walhalla, where moody springs, the oconee county fish hatchery and stump house tunnel is located (a good 50 miles from Greenville) there are no stores, no shoppings malls...no gas stations...just winding roads, mountains...and rivers...

and No I didnt get any evidence...that was years ago, so even if I did...i wouldnt still have it, this was just something we use to do...we went to a few haunted places....never thought to take cameras or recording devices...

But to answer some of your other questions...the Hitch Hicker we picked up at Moody Springs....

Did we talk to him: Of course, we asked if he needed a ride

He replied: Yes, asked if we could drop him off in NC and he could walk the rest of the way

He got in the car and I asked : how long you been waiting for a ride

He replied: to long, i've been out here for a while

He then said, If you dont mind, I'm tired and dont feel like talking, but I do really appreciate the ride....then he just kinda sat there and looked out the window....

and THIS is what the area around Moody springs is like..

http://southern_explorer.home.mindspring.c...nel_park_sc.htm

http://www.alleneasler.com/issa.html

http://www.wilderness.org/WhereWeWork/Sout...olina/index.cfm

not that you Charolette City boys would not anything about it...now go stand on the street corner and look tough

Edited by CongressmanReality

Looks pretty

Not as pretty as you... :wub:

Edited by CongressmanReality