Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inspiration

Irish

Inspiration

Words can be food for the soul or a cancer of the mind. All religions and belief offer words of inspiration. This thread is for the purpose of nourishment of the soul.

Feel free to offer what you believe is the greatest serving of wisdom you have ever heard. Whether a quote from someone else or from your own heart, rather then argue whether you agree or not with what is said before offer a countering or complementing thought in the same manner.

Try to keep them short and self explanatory and offer us a fresh slice each day.

Let the banquet begin.

Irish :tu:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Irish

• Grandpa Greenman

• chaostrom

• exeller

Nothing brings joy to a father more than to see his child smile - quote from my friend (unsure whether he got it from somewhere else)

good thread btw. I used to have a book that I collected wisdom sayings from great philosopher's and teachers, and just phrases I heard from friends I knew. Unfortunately, it went missing one day :( It might turn up, but knowing things, probably not.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Not sure who said this one but it’s along the same line as children.

“A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child”

Irish

"Let the earth-bound man be handsome and powerful and rich, and so apt to this world that he may rule the entire human race: still there can be no envying him, the fool of such lures."

Plotinus The Enneads

"Friendship can be likened to the tower of Babel"

I must admit I do not understand that one. Could you explain?

Don't be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. - Hopi

They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind. - Tuscarora

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown.

When we show our respect for other living things, they respond with respect for us. - Arapaho

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot

These I really like:

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Cherokee

Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

When I come to a point in my life were I think I nothing left to learn, may the Gods strike me down and return me as a worm so I may learn humility.

Darkwind

"The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother."

I like my old stand-bys:

Do to others as you would have done to you.

Tomorrow is always a new day.

Edited by amybutts

"They who say that we should love our fellow-citizens but not foreigners, destroy the universal brotherhood of mankind, with which benevolence and justice would perish forever." Cicero

"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." Albert Schweitzer

"Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast." Isaac Asimov

"To free a man from error is to give, not take away." Arthur Schopenhauer

I got a million of 'em; http://www.humanismbyjoe.com/humanism_quotes.htm

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." Edmund Burke

Robert A. Heinlein said it best though:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

"Never let the hand you hold, hold you down." Anonymous

"Ever notice it's always the "liberal" tag that is applied to any thoughts different from the mainstream? I see it as some spirits are content, tethered and heeled to subservient ideals and constraints. How can one argue a slaves place in the chains they do not see?! And certainly there is no reasoning to it, so therefore there is clearly none with either. Let it be, let it be I say. For in this world there is a balance between predators and prey." Anonymouse

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. " ~Timothy Learyuser posted image

"He who knows others is learned. He who knows himself is wise." Lao-Tzu
Edited by Imaginary Friend

I must admit I do not understand that one. Could you explain?

Gladly, although it's not easy to explain. It's a metaphorical (obviously) saying and is best understood visually. I'll try my best, bear with me :tu:

Imagine a land, flat in every direction to the horizon and beyond. Now imagine that there are towers scattered across it, incomplete, like the tower of Babel. Now add some houses here and there, complete with roof and windows.

With that in mind, allow me to explain...

The tower of Babel was never finished. It wasn't meant to be complete. True friendship, indeed, any true relationship, can be likened to the tower of Babel. A person's relationship with another person can be like the towers, or like the houses. A relationship likened to the houses is complete, but limited. You know how people tend to behave better around strangers? It's sort of like that. True friendship can be likened to that incomplete tower. It's continuous, always building on top of what's already there. Do you see what I mean? A true relationship recognises that it's not perfect, that the people involved are not perfect.

I hope I've made some sense there, pray tell if it's unintelligible. It's a saying I made up myself, and although I've the concept in mind I don't often use it, not having the occasion to, so although I understand it others may not. If you can think of a better way to explain it, please let me know.

Anyway, here's another quote:

"Each individual is like a multi-faceted gem"

Hopefully this one doesn't require explanation :tu: