Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

6EQUJ5

bangladesh

On August 17th 1977 channel 2 of the receiver detected a signal reached a maximum strength of 30 times the background noise level. As Jerry Ehman, who was analysing the data, observed the computer printout and saw the rising and falling sequence of data he explained "Wow!" He then circled the pattern on the printout.It was not surprising that Jerry Ehman had written "Wow!" on the printout! Equally interesting was the fact that the rise and fall of the signal strength as the source passed through the beam of the antenna exactly matched the antenna's beam shape - just what you would expect if the signal had come from a very great distance.

post-56-1066628389.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nintendork

• Agent_21

• mcginty

• gonzowalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what was the follow up to the signal?

I need a lot more information than that to understand what this is suppose to mean. huh.gif

....I had a fiddler crab once. blink.gif

I fiddled with a crab once...just the once. screama.gif

That was a signal from the beginning of Project SETI. Search for alien life with huge radio antenna's. The movie Contact was based off of SETI and Carl Saigen. The signal was later believed to be a military satilite passing over the antenna. While there have been many tries to find the signal again nothing was ever found.

To find out more info on SETI click here Or Here

To me SETI is a waste of money and time. Why would an alien use radio waves to communitate, a technology that is inferrior.

To me SETI is a waste of money and time. Why would an alien use radio waves to communitate, a technology that is inferrior.

Maybe they wanted someone to hear it. They might be gradually getting people used to the idea of them, that way when they finally come out and reveal themselves it won't be such a shock to the population. Like when you buy a new fish you are supposed to leave it in the baggie when you first put it in the aquarium, so it can get used to the temperature of the water, and not go into shock.

Maybe?

Here's a more complete breakdown on the discovery and detailed information as to how it occurred, along with information regarding other attempts to 'find' the signal once again.

CLICK HERE

Magikman

I remember reading an article about how a bunch of astronomers got quite heated over a supposed reply, later analysys reavealed it to have been caused by the microwave oven they'd been using being situated too close to some of their equipment!

Ah well, the search continues.

• 1 month later...

alien.gif

1st of all, i dont think SETI is a waist of time or money.

i think its GREAT.... at least its a start in the right direction...

also, they use radio waves because it is a very basic form of technology.

any E.T. with the knowledge of greater technology than our own is most likely familure w. radio waves...

think of it this way...

in the 'good ol days' we made fire by rubbing stick togather to cause friction,

than we found that stricking two rock togather works better,

now we just light a match or lighter to make fire....

BUT, we still know how to make fire with sticks and stones,..,

it took a long time and alot of human effort to go from sticks to lighters

and so will searching for ETs...

im sure that someday we will find better ways to search from "home base"

but if u dont start, you will never finish...

and i think SETI is a good start

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

QUOTE (snuffypuffer @ Oct 21 2003, 01:49 AM)

....I had a fiddler crab once. 

I fiddled with a crab once...just the once. 

So that was you I saw at the beach, then... blink.gifohmy.giflaugh.gif

Because radio waves travels slow in the space....they arent trying to ear actual aline comunication, but past comunication. example: by now, the first human radio transmision were out of the Oort cloud in the verge of the Solar System. Maybe some civilization made transmition has us a lot of time ago, and now we can pick up them.

Somebody correct me here because I'm too lazy to go to the web site and read the WOW message thing again, but wasn't it considered unfounded because the signal didn't repeat?

What if something was keeping it from repeating or what if it repeated and something kept us from hearing it?