Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Woman tries to clear name of convicted witch

11 posts in this topic

UM-Bot

news icon rGrace Sherwood was a healer, a midwife and a widowed mother of three sons. Her neighbors thought she also was a witch who ruined crops, killed livestock and conjured storms. On July 10, 1706, the 46-year-old woman was tied up and "ducked"--dropped into a river--in what is now Virginia Beach.

The theory behind the test was that if she sank, she was innocent, although she'd also likely drown. She floated--proof she was guilty because the pure water cast out her evil spirit.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Daily Press

Grandpa Greenman

What a cool story. She must have been quite a woman. :wub: I hope she gets her statue. :tu:

Robert1

What a cool story. She must have been quite a woman. :wub: I hope she gets her statue. :tu:

My thoughts exactly.

Matches

It would be a wonderful way to rectify the woman's death. She was a healer and midwife, so she probably wasn't evil.

Hopefully she gets the statue, that'd be a great tribute to the memory of all those who were unjustly killed so long ago.

Ancient Sorceress

Thats really great that someone is taking action to help the midwife, against the wrong doings in the past, but what is disturbing is that no one else seemed to take action before this time now, and how long ago did this occur...... in 1706 :no:

Edited by Ancient Sorceress

Brian McMalley

If only they'd do that for the rest of the people that were killed because they were "witches." It's really great that they're doing that for her.

TinaMarie

What a waste of time, don't they have anything more important to do?I think it's a little too late for that now. :huh:

Edited by myyaya420

Ancient Sorceress

What a waste of time, don't they have anything more important to do?I think it's a little too late for that now. :huh:

I do not think it is "a waste of time." :angry2:

And nothing is to late for innocent person to be convicted of doing something wrong, when they are good people. *snarl*

Its people like you that are ignorant and want to stay that way. Its like killing someone innocent and saying "It doesn't matter."

The world may have great problems, but that does not mean there should be no respect for those who lived in the past.

Also being convicted as a witch gives no right to be hurt. We are human too, and just so happen to have their our own religious ideas and beliefs, such as the native americans. The Church should recognize this and accepted it along time ago.

:angry2:

Edited by Ancient Sorceress

Tricia16

I thought it was very nicely worded, and I too thought it was a great story.

and I agree with Darkwind and Robert1.

Bella-Angelique

Clearing a name on a record is a good thing.

Endless monuments to victims is victim worship which is unhealthy.

It encourages people to want to be victims so that they can feel special and significant, that being a victim is more worthy than being a hero or discoverer.

Ryo Ohki

Why didnt they know how to swim?