Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

re evolution?

Ravinar

i was playing my sim earth game one day when i realized that all the dinosaurs on my planet had gone extinct. then i noticed that there were still reptiles on my planet and eventually the dinosaurs came back from the reptiles that survived. my question is is it possible for a group of animals like dinosaurs to re evolve? given the right conditions. could the same holed true for instance if mammals were to go extinct? could they re evolve from the reptiles given the right conditions? so could it be possible that dinosaurs may one day come back?

Edited by Ravinar

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• BurnSide

• riotboy555

• Ravinar

But wouldn't that mean that we would go extinct, and not be able to live with them in harmony?

Edited by riotboy555

i was playing my sim earth game one day when i realized that all the dinosaurs on my planet had gone extinct. then i noticed that there were still reptiles on my planet and eventually the dinosaurs came back from the reptiles that survived. my question is is it possible for a group of animals like dinosaurs to re evolve? given the right conditions. could the same holed true for instance if mammals were to go extinct? could they re evolve from the reptiles given the right conditions? so could it be possible that dinosaurs may one day come back?

...Tentatively, yes, it is possible...now, about the probability...

There have been a few cases where certain animals were "retro-bred" from a domestic species into a wild species, however these were generally only a handful of generations away from their ancestors. The thing of it is that evolution isn't some sort of filing system, where the instruction to create any particular species are permanently stored in the DNA, capable of being re-introduced in toto at any given time. The actual genetic instructions for the creation of a creature are changed randomly on the molecular level, meaning that a rever evolution will have to consist of an identical but opposite random change returning things to normal. This is by no means impossible, and more likely in some situations than others, but it is still very rare. For something like this to happen to, say, avian DNA (birds are closer genetically to dinosaurs than lizards), with millions of years worth of random mutations, is statistically unlikely enough to call it impossible.

There is nothing as re-evolution...It's just a coincedence of gaining the trait once lost before...It's very, very unlikely.

But wouldn't that mean that we would go extinct, and not be able to live with them in harmony?

nothing can live in harmony with us around wanting to study em, put them in zoo's, circus's, pets, their heads on our walls, their skins for our rugs..

anyways at the subject, i sorta doubt it would happen, but if mammals did get wiped out then it is possible for reptiles to restart evolving into stronger creatures cuz they wouldnt have competition anymore, but its also likely something else will just take over, most likely avians

first off mamals evolved from very very weird reptiles that no longer exhist so mammals would never re arise. next yes it is possible but no they would not be dinosaurs evolutuiopn often makes duplicates two unrelated species that are very similar in size behavior and diet. its all about fitting the ecological nich.

• 1 month later...

I for one think it is possible for something like the dinosaur to evolve again. Look at the saber toothed cats. They evolved whent extencted then re-evolved. So it is possible. As for mammals. Well it very unlikely. We were sort a fluke if you will. If we hadn't come along its likely that birds would have become the dominant species and diversified like there dino ancestors.

I for one think it is possible for something like the dinosaur to evolve again. Look at the saber toothed cats. They evolved whent extencted then re-evolved. So it is possible. As for mammals. Well it very unlikely. We were sort a fluke if you will. If we hadn't come along its likely that birds would have become the dominant species and diversified like there dino ancestors.

Mammals are not a fluke...they were there when the dinos evolved. They were next in line for the throne.

Saber-cats never re-evolved! Dinosaurs probably won't either....plus, re-evolution is impossible....A creature could look the same, but it would just be a mere coincedence because of selective pressure.

Evolution is a forward process. It is constantly occuring, constantly going forward, constantly changing. It is the process of naturally adapting to best suit the environment the creature is living in. Evolution cannot reverse. It can without question possibly take forms it once had way back in the past, but that would be the next step, not going back a step.

Evolution is a forward process. It is constantly occuring, constantly going forward, constantly changing. It is the process of naturally adapting to best suit the environment the creature is living in

Also random changes :tu:

Neverless, evolving inot a form that once existed would be one heck of a coincedence...

Edited by frogfish

If seven hundred monkeys typed for seven hundred years, one would eventually create the works of Shakespeare. So they say.

And i thought i was the only one who played it!