Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top Most Intriguing Animals

IndigoChild

I hope that this is posted in the right section, it is nature related, anywayszs. I got the idea to make a list of the top most intriguing animals according to UM users [and myself :D] So post your favorite animals who 1)you'd like to know more about 2)intrigue you 3)an animal that has a striking quality or ability that sets it apart from the rest in the world of Animalia. This is just a public brainstorm of ideas, in a way. I'll start to break the ice.

Here's mah list::

1. Unicorn- This one is pretty self explanitory, its mystifying ways and mythical legends that describe its beauty. Its beautiful, even if only a fragment of our imaginations.

2. Octopus- For its mysterious ways of shapeshifting and perfecting the mastery of the art of camoflauge. To be able to change its physical components and texture, WOW I want to posses it's powers! MuHaHa

3. Platypus- Simply because of its puzzling appearance. It is recorded as a mammal, but bears the phenotypes of a beaver and a duck; plus, it lays eggs, unlike most mammals.

4. Creature of the Abyss- For being able to survive its unusual habitat of the very bottom of the ocean, with severely low temperatures and very dark atmosphere, which lead to its most fascinating attribute: its built in "flashlight" that hovers above its head, to project light in its path of travel. How CooL is that?

5. Checkered chicken- I chose this animal because of its unique appearance also. It is the result of a crossbreed between a dominant white chicken and a black chicken with incomplete dominance, thus resulting in a chicken with black and white checkered feathers. I can never find any images online, or even on google but I long to see some examples. I've only seen an image exclusive to mah biology textbook in a course I took in the past.

The list continues... do you like what you see? Keep it growing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• MadEyePixie

• Jack_of_Blades

• Roj47

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, since you asked. I warn you, I am facinated with many animals.

I like all manners of fish, the different species and behaviours intrigue me. :geek:

And I have to list probably my favourite: lizards! Especially iguanas and chamelions. :tu:

The okapi, I like the fact that many people do know what it is while I do. Their resemblence is also stricking

Dolphins, whales, porpoises. Their intelligence is amazing

Also, the foosa. Cause, like the okapi, many people don't even know what it is.

Lemurs, even have one on my display pic! :tu:

Penguins, they are just simply awesome!

Well, that is all that I have the attention span to type down. I will probably post later with more of my list and possibly pictures. :tu:

Edited by MJB222

. Checkered chicken- I chose this animal because of its unique appearance also. It is the result of a crossbreed between a dominant white chicken and a black chicken with incomplete dominance, thus resulting in a chicken with black and white checkered feathers. I can never find any images online, or even on google but I long to see some examples. I've only seen an image exclusive to mah biology textbook in a course I took in the past.

Incomplete dominance does not create checkered animals :tu: I think the biology book was merely trying to make a point :tu:

To be able to change its physical components and texture

It can't change the texture of its skin...

its built in "flashlight" that hovers above its head, to project light in its path of travel.

Only anglerfish have a bioluminescent 'lure'...others have it built into the body.

Creature of the abyss is not a proper term...There are a hundred species of fish down there...

My favorite is the panther chameleon...easily the most beautiful of the chameleons...Plus, I own one :)

All species of fish....especially game fish and marine life..

The King Cobra, because I had one living in my house in India for years...They are the most majestic and royal of snakes...You can see the intelligence in their eyes.

My favorite is the panther chameleon...easily the most beautiful of the chameleons...Plus, I own one :)

Yes, the panther chamelion is probably the most beautiful chamelion, but I still like vieled chamelions better. :yes: I don't know why though. :hmm:

I forgot to mention pronghorns. The fact that they are the only living member of its family left amazes me. I like the idea that an ice age animal is still living in Alberta.

This looks fun! :D

Cats - They are cute

Bats - They are scary

Octopusses - They rock

Spiders - They scare eveybody

Frogs - They are fun to catch

This looks fun! :D

Cats - They are cute

Bats - They are scary

Octopusses - They rock

Spiders - They scare eveybody

Frogs - They are fun to catch

Are you easily amused by any chance? ;)

Are you easily amused by any chance

LOL, That's what I was thinking...

Pronghorns are cool...I have seen herds of them in the Western states...

[attachmentid=26729][attachmentid=26729]here are some facts about my favorite animals LEMURS -first they are NOT monkeys. they are prosimians (primative primates) Ring-tailed lemurs are one of the most vocal primates. They have several different alarm calls with distinct meanings to alert members of their group to potential danger.

When ring-tailed troops travel throughout their home range, they keep their tails raised in the air, like flags, to keep group members together.

Ring-tailed lemurs can spend up to 50% of their day on the ground.

Ring-tailed lemurs have scent glands on their wrists and chests that they use to mark their foraging routes. Males even have a horny spur on each wrist gland that they use to pierce tree branches before scent marking them.

Ruffed lemurs are the only primates to have true litters of offspring.

Black and white ruffed lemurs can interbreed with red ruffed lemurs -- the offspring are black, white, and red.

Ruffed lemurs produce group alarm calls when startled. It only takes one individual to begin a chorus that spreads to all ruffed lemurs within hearing range.

Red ruffed lemurs will often "join-in" the alarm calls of black and white ruffed lemurs even though the subspecies are not often found together in the wild.

Black and White Ruffed lemurs have the most frugivorous diet of any lemur.

Blue-eyed lemurs are one of two non-human primates to have truly blue eyes.

Blue-eyed lemurs are sexually dichromatic, meaning the males and females are always different colors: females are orange-brown and males are black.

Males are born brown and only begin to turn black after 5-6 weeks.

Blue-eyed lemurs can interbreed with common black lemurs, but their offspring always have brown eyes. The blue-eyed gene is thought to be recessive as in humans.

Collared lemurs are distinguished from the similar white-collared lemurs by a slightly darker beard.

Collared lemur males are brownish-gray with a dark stripe down the back, a dark tail and tail tip, and a lighter underside. Females have a reddish to brown coat and a gray face. Both sexes have a distinct beard that is reddish-brown in females and cream to reddish-brown in males.

Crowned lemurs are primarily diurnal, but they have been observed traveling and feeding at night.

A crowned lemur female is almost as likely to have twins as she is to have a single infant.

Crowned lemurs live in the same areas as Sanford's lemurs, but tend to feed lower in the forest.

Male and female crowned lemurs possess the same "crown-like" markings, but are slightly different colors: males are orange-brown while females are orange-gray.

Diademed sifaka have never reproduced in captivity.

Diademed sifaka are among the largest living lemurs.

Golden-crowned sifaka are one of the most endangered lemurs. There are estimated to be less than 10,000 left in the wild.

Eastern lesser bamboo lemurs are the smallest diurnal lemurs.

Bamboo lemurs are named for the large amounts of bamboo in their diet.

Some groups of mongoose lemurs will switch from diurnal activity to nocturnal activity at the beginning of the dry season.

Mongoose lemurs are one of only two species of lemur found on the islands surrounding Madagascar.

Mongoose lemurs are sexually dichromatic in the coloration of their "beards": males have reddish-orange fur beneath their chins while the same location on females is white.

Male mongoose lemurs are born with white beards that will turn reddish-brown when the infants are between 5 and 6 weeks old.

Aye-ayes are the largest nocturnal primates.

Aye-ayes are one of the few solitary primates.

Aye-ayes have a unique method of foraging: A large percentage of their diet consists of insect larvae that live inside dead wood. They find the larvae by tapping on branches and listening to the reverberations. When it finds a cavity in the wood (which may contain insect larvae), an aye-aye will bite through the outer layers of bark with his beaver-like teeth and reach a long, slender finger inside the hole to pull out the prey.

Aye-ayes are killed in some parts of Madagascar because they are believed to be harbingers of death or misfortune or because they are agricultural pests. In other parts of the island, however, they are revered.

i kinda like lemurs :D

post-37078-1152330604.gif

Here is the MOST intriguing

the coelacanth

http://www.dinofish.com/

please look

being that this is subjective to the max, i'm going to have to say that the wolf is the most intriguing animal of all time. ;)

user posted image

aren't animals cool? :) soon we might not have any... :(

Elephants by virtue of their intelligent.

Cuttle Fish, amazing creatures that use rapid changes in color to communicate.

Swallow tail kite, beautiful bird hardly ever lands, sleeps and eats on the wing.

Killer whales, because they don't kill and eat their trainers on a regular basis.

Edited by Darkwind

my list is

1)Baskilisis (its a lizard that can run on water)

2)Chameleons

3)dolphins

4)crocidiles

5)crabs

6)saltwaterfish

Do you mean Cuttle fish?

Oops :blush: I did.

Thanks.

I'd say that hedgehogs intrigue me most of all. They're funny little critters and do some weird things. From self anointing, to chasing cats. Their personalities are so unique too. They are also quite smart. Of course, I could just be biased because I own one...

[attachmentid=26753] [attachmentid=26755]

I'm also a big fan of the platypus and porcupine.

post-13102-1152387930.jpg

post-13102-1152387974.jpg

Edited by MadEyePixie

The okapi, I like the fact that many people do know what it is while I do. Their resemblence is also stricking

Also, the foosa. Cause, like the okapi, many people don't even know what it is.

Okapi - The zebra-giraffe :P

Yeah, those are cool....

And I might be wrong, but is the Foosa like the Mongoose thing?

------

I'm interested in... any animal...

It's too hard to choose....

Chameleons... Octopi... The Assassin Spider...

I like Darkwind's list...

And that hedgehog is so cute ^_^

And I might be wrong, but is the Foosa like the Mongoose thing?

------

And that hedgehog is so cute ^_^

It's actually spelled fossa, not foosa, and yes, it is closely related to the mongoose.

----------

Thanks!

[attachmentid=26766]

post-13102-1152484729.jpg

Edited by MadEyePixie

I bet many people don't know what a sandfish is :)

^ It's a skink, right?

Score! Do I get a cookie now?

Score! Do I get a cookie now?

No unless you get this one...

Do you know what the hamadryad is? The animal, not the mythological dryad.

My all-time favorite animal :yes:

Sea horse

I like seahorses also...I have a pretty little one in my marine aquarium...

You are not supposed to keep them in community tanks because they get bullied to death by other fish...literally..

Suprisingly, mine rules the tank...it doesn't let one fish eat until it has...Even my tangs are afraid of it...Its a blessing!

No unless you get this one...

Do you know what the hamadryad is? The animal, not the mythological dryad.

My all-time favorite animal :yes:

Hm, if I'm not mistaken, a hamadryad is a king cobra?