Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chicago Cubs Hope Fan Is Forgiven...

Phantom

Cubs hope fan is forgiven

Vilified spectator issues apology for going after ball

user posted image

CHICAGO -- The heartbroken fan who unwittingly played in a role in the Chicago Cubs' Game 6 loss of the National League Championship Series apologized Wednesday in a prepared statement. "I had my eyes glued on the approaching ball the entire time and was so caught up in the moment that I did not even see Moises Alou, much less that he may have had a play," Steve Bartman, 26, said in the statement. "Had I thought for one second that the ball was playable or had I seen Alou approaching, I would have done whatever I could to get out of the way and give Alou a chance to make the catch.

Full story

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colorless

• Phantom

• Nintendork

• Seraphina

So much anger for this fan, and so much forgiveness for the shortstop's mistake (and he gets paid ALOT of money to get it right). huh.gif

Being a very loyal ( and disappointed) Boston Red Sox Fan, I really think that they should give the guy a break. It sure was not intentional, besides, he did not even end up with the ball. There is always next year. At least that is our motto

I'm from Chicago and even though I like the Sox better, i'm kinda peed off about the guy catching the ball since the Cubs haven't won a world series for almost a century. But still, anyone who said they wouldn't have went for the ball is a hypocrite. People go to games with baseball mitts to catch a ball. If you see a baseball coming towards you during a game, it's a natural reaction to go for it without thinking, and most of the people did. Bartman caught it. What's sad is most of the people who saw the ball coming to them and hoped they could catch it but after Bartman did, the same people threw anything they could at him. He was drenched with beer by the time he left. disgust.gif

So lemmie get this straight...

This team hasn't won a world series for over a century, and this fan who grabbed the ball, no doubt for a fraction of the actual game time, is being blamed as 'contributing to the loss'?

Sounds more like zealous fans trying to find an excuse for their team losing...poor guy must look like a very attractive scapecoat for their egos.

yeah. i hate the cubs. i hate baseball too. uh, whatever

Then why did you post a reply to this thread?

The Cubs basically blew it, the fan had nothing to do with how they let their lead evaporate. I would have gone for the ball too.

He's just expressing his opinion, starlyte.

If he really hated baseball, he wouldn't have posted on this thread. Why would someone bother with something they don't like?

He's just expressing his opinion, starlyte.

Not on the thread, he isn't. He's just expressing a random opinion.

He could just as well have posted

"Mmmmm, I like peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches"

You seem to be Nintendorks personal bodyguard.... hey... wait a minute.... tongue.gif

When that Boston fan interfered with the ball and the good people of that town wanted to tar and feather him, that was a bad thing for him. Or was it? Did he make it a bad thing or was it in reality a bad happening? Let's explore one of lifes mysteries.

When that happened I saw opportunity. He could have contacted the Marlins baseball club or reply to any one of the folks in Florida who offered him asylum, including the Governor.

He could have offered himself as a good luck charm to the Marlins and offer to appear at their games sitting above the dougout.

If they lost he would return to Boston and said, "There you go I've redeemed myself. I've hexed them and they lost." Seeing as the Marlins won though, he would now be a celebrity in Floridauser posted image

Personally I think we would have seen him being carried on the shoulders of the fans, in the locker room being interviewed and just all around good things happening in his life from here on.

Instead, where is he now?user posted image

I would say it was an accident. He was a fan of baseball. If the ball was going to his way-and was hit by a super star, of course EVERYONE would try to catch it... Its just the excitement there. Fans around him tried to reach for the ball too, but luckily didnt touch it.

I'm not a big Cubs fan......but, I wouldn't forgive the guy if I were..it was pretty clear by the reaction of the crowd that his catching the ball was a bad thing...so why didn't he try to throw it back? It would have been futile but people wouldn't be as mad about it, if he attempted to make up for it immediately. Oh and...

I agree, if you hate baseball then why even bother reading a thread that clearly was about baseball?