Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sacred North American Medicine Stones (3)

SpectateSwamp

Does anybody have pictures of Strange Stones?

The first one in the middle popped out of a gravel crusher in 1972

Nothing popps out of gravel crushers.

The second one on the right. Was found by my sister a few years later.

The third one on the left was found in the family garden. A couple years later.

Crazy Horse wore a small medicine stone into battle.

I should do some video of these rocks.

post-38038-1152275861.jpg

Edited by SpectateSwamp

That one on the right is pretty cool. Certain stones are reported to have magical properties, like the Stone of Destiny that was brought from the Holy Land to Ireland.

didn't i see this movie? indiana jones and the temple of doom, right?

anythings possible. i pray to a jewish carpenter dude. who am i to say some rocks can't be sacred? no one, that's who.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

I was forced to move the stones as the safety deposit boxes were being closed.

Video is far better than pics.

Edited by rashore
rules 2b, 2j

Howdy SpectateSwamp

Ah well bringing back an 11 year old thread, okay so what is special about these rocks - besides having holes in them? Why should I watch a video on rocks?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Howdy SpectateSwamp

Ah well bringing back an 11 year old thread, okay so what is special about these rocks - besides having holes in them? Why should I watch a video on rocks?

The stones have been in a safety deposit box for nearly 20 years.

Special:

Odin escaped persuit by passing through a holed stone... Odin stones are sacred.

There is more in "North American Myths and Legends" on sacred stones than almost any topic.

• Like 1

Several cultures have an interest in "holey" stones. In Britain they're called hag stones were supposed to repel witches and malign spirits, as well as allowing one to peer into the faerie realm,  just like in The Spiderwick Chronicles.

Rock crushers have different grades and sometimes one that's too small will pass through unscathed.

I do like the one with the face though. (I have a small collection of stones with holes myself.)

7 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Howdy SpectateSwamp

Nothing special .... just took him 11 years to get the video done , is all .  

• Like 1

He was saving up for a video camera when suddenly smartphones took off and he had to start over.

Harte

• Like 3

There are a number of holey sand stone pebbles here where the stone formed around roots and the root later eroded or rotted away. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Harte said:

He was saving up for a video camera when suddenly smartphones took off and he had to start over.

Harte

I liked the part about them being in 'a safety deposit box   :) 

• Like 3

I find rocks with holes in them all the time at the beach. Various sea creatures drill holes into the rock, and when one breaks off, it gets rounded off by the waves. I'll see if I have any at home.

• Like 2

I used to have a collection of sea and river rocks with hole in them.. most of them are caused by erosion.. still they can be fun.. used to take the kids 'fairy stone' hunting along the rivers.. was a good way to get muddy and be like a kid for awhile ;)

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 11:13 AM, Oniomancer said:

. (I have a small collection of stones with holes myself.)

Or maybe the holed stones have you.

I have found others but can just pack so many lbs of stones..

Look up "mimetoliths" stones with strange features. Stones rock.

2 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

I used to have a collection of sea and river rocks with hole in them.. most of them are caused by erosion.. still they can be fun.. used to take the kids 'fairy stone' hunting along the rivers.. was a good way to get muddy and be like a kid for awhile ;)

There are some incredible rock features around here. I told the kids these places were sacred and if we find a cave there will be offerings. That got them interested.

We found the cave but there had been a cave in. Rock hunting and exploring is fun. With the spring run off this year there should be lots of new rocks to find.

• 1 month later...

A stream or river will cause one pebble to grind a hole in another. It happened often during the glacier melt in North America. Nothing sacred about them to any Algonquian tribe. Just something interesting to have hanging or wear. I have quite a few of them.   

edit: or use as a net weight or canoe anchor

Edited by Piney
  • Like 3

I'm simply in awe of whatever it is that drives someone to return to a two post thread, that was going nowhere 11 years ago, to keep people informed with a video update of the current status of the rocks.

I feel that if only we could understand why we would learn a great secret about the universe.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I'm simply in awe of whatever it is that drives someone to return to a two post thread, that was going nowhere 11 years ago, to keep people informed with a video update of the current status of the rocks.

I feel that if only we could understand why we would learn a great secret about the universe.

Well, rocks don't change status much ... its at a really slow rate   ( see below  )   hence we only need to report on them every 10 years or so .    Sometimes its easier to just use  time lapse photography ;

• Like 3

Know anything about a Navajo medicine man in the 1760s Named Running Bear who had a wolf named Bear. Am finding stories. Seeking info.. thanks..

4 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Know anything about a Navajo medicine man in the 1760s Named Running Bear who had a wolf named Bear. Am finding stories. Seeking info.. thanks..

Modern legend.

"Running Bear" is not a Navajo name - it would be associated with bad luck in some cases: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_say_bear_in_the_Navajo_language

There is a company called "Running Bear" that sells turquoise jewelry including bear fetishes,  but the "Running Bear" name is actually Sioux.

As for animals, they kept dogs ...but not wolves.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Oh-oh! Me smell pseudo-Indian Newage road apples.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Oh-oh! Me smell pseudo-Indian Newage road apples.

How do ya like dem apples!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Modern legend.

"Running Bear" is not a Navajo name - it would be associated with bad luck in some cases: http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_say_bear_in_the_Navajo_language

There is a company called "Running Bear" that sells turquoise jewelry including bear fetishes,  but the "Running Bear" name is actually Sioux.

As for animals, they kept dogs ...but not wolves.

Cheers 4 that.. thanks