Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawaiian Ghost Stories!

koenig

Hello, My Mainland Friends,

In this is a thread where I post several locally well-known Hawaiian ghost stories. Keep in mind that since Hawaii is extremely small, it is very easy to visit/experience every ghost story! The concept of "Mana" here lies in the fact that the land (called Aina) here is very much alive. In many ghosts stories, people are punished for disrespecting the land or sacred (Kapu) places. So, if there are any other islanders here, please post your stories!

I will post this story first: A feel-good story.

There was a woman who bought a house here in Hawaii. The special thing about this house is it had a path coming through the babie's room at an angle. This path is where the Night Marchers (Old Hawaiian Spirits) travel every special night. Since this path was angled so that the path did not cross the babie's crib, the mother heard the baby laughing and talking to people not there.

Upon consulting someone, she learned that some of the Night Marchers had befriended the baby, and had even begun to play with her when they passed through. When they moved the crib, the consultant said she sensed a very sad spirit within the house. When they moved the crib bat to the place, the baby started giggling and talking to unknown people.

So, in short, the baby had made friends with very friendly ghosts. Here in Hawaii, we have extremely friendly ghosts. Most ghost stories where someone has something bad happen to them, occurs because they had shown disrespect to sacred places.

So, if this thread WINS, please tell me. I'll gladly post more stories in here.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• koenig

• greeneyedoll

• Janiel

• Beckys_Mom

I am curious as to the stories of Hawaiin vigilantes. My fiance went to Hawaii last year and was told that in cases of violence towards children or other unspeakables that often times police do not need to be involved because the criminal disapears. That they are taken and thrown out in the sea.

I'm not thinking they meant super heroes but actual people who watch out for their communities and take action when necessary.

Is there any truth to this? Or is it just an urban legend to keep tourists on their best behavior.

I am curious as to the stories of Hawaiin vigilantes. My fiance went to Hawaii last year and was told that in cases of violence towards children or other unspeakables that often times police do not need to be involved because the criminal disapears. That they are taken and thrown out in the sea.

I'm not thinking they meant super heroes but actual people who watch out for their communities and take action when necessary.

Is there any truth to this? Or is it just an urban legend to keep tourists on their best behavior.

Actually, yes. There have been confirmed stories of so-called vigilanties. On the island of Molokai there is a story that a few mafia members went down there to cause a lot of trouble. On Molokai, there are a lot of hunters there. So when the mafia members caused troubles there, the locals there killed them all. To dispose of the bodies, they essentially went to the most remote location and threw them into the water "Shark bait"

Try not to be turned off by these stories, as those who do disappear deserve it. And in a sense, these vigilantes are really well-intentioned.

And now about Pele!!!

This is an old story that been around forever. On the Big Island, an old shabby-looking lady was walking through a village. As she walked through, everyone just stared and talked behind her back. Only one family went up to the old lady, opened their home to her, and offered her food and water. The old lady then went on her way. Not too long after this time (a day, a week) a volcano erupted. The lava flow travelled straight for this village. The lava leveled the entire village except for one house. The house that took in the old lady was spared as the lava flow split and flowed around the house on either side. The old lady was Pele. It is said that Pele often walks around in disguise to test people.

Just remember: When you Mainlanders come to Hawaii, DO NOT TAKE ANY ROCKS AT ALL. Do try to show respect for Madam Pele, as she is deserving of such respect.

Edited by koenig

Hello, My Mainland Friends,

In this is a thread where I post several locally well-known Hawaiian ghost stories. Keep in mind that since Hawaii is extremely small, it is very easy to visit/experience every ghost story! The concept of "Mana" here lies in the fact that the land (called Aina) here is very much alive. In many ghosts stories, people are punished for disrespecting the land or sacred (Kapu) places. So, if there are any other islanders here, please post your stories!

I will post this story first: A feel-good story.

There was a woman who bought a house here in Hawaii. The special thing about this house is it had a path coming through the babie's room at an angle. This path is where the Night Marchers (Old Hawaiian Spirits) travel every special night. Since this path was angled so that the path did not cross the babie's crib, the mother heard the baby laughing and talking to people not there.

Upon consulting someone, she learned that some of the Night Marchers had befriended the baby, and had even begun to play with her when they passed through. When they moved the crib, the consultant said she sensed a very sad spirit within the house. When they moved the crib bat to the place, the baby started giggling and talking to unknown people.

So, in short, the baby had made friends with very friendly ghosts. Here in Hawaii, we have extremely friendly ghosts. Most ghost stories where someone has something bad happen to them, occurs because they had shown disrespect to sacred places.

So, if this thread WINS, please tell me. I'll gladly post more stories in here.

I watched a programme on this a while back on the discovery/history channel...I cant recall which channel it was...but it was all about the ghosts of Hawai...

one woman said her child was bouncing her ball playing...the ball went down the stairs...the lil girl went after it....her mom was calling for her...then she spotted her lil girl standing at the bottom of the stairs...in a trance...but was laughing in talking to someone....then when she took her lil girl away, she asked her..who was she talking too...the lil girl said the beautiful lady..she was playing with me mommy...

Then it was talking about a few visotors where walking through this hotel...they where greeted by a man in a dark suit...with snow white hair..............he was friendly..he took these people on a grand tour.........later afterwards...they saw his picture..and found out he once owned the hotel..and he had been dead for years...........this was freaky..

I would like you to post more stories..thanks..because i cant recall oall of the stories that I saw on that show.

People may well have been with ghosts and mistook them for real people........for some reason...I think that can be so true... :yes:

thanks for the response! i wouldnt be afraid of going to hawaii because of vigilantes anyways. it would seem more safe to know that there are people keeping watch, not that i condone killing even bad people.

it seems like such a beautiful place. if not for scary volcanoes.

Hey, koenig, you totally fail to address how 'bad' Nightwatchers can be/are. I, being a resident of Maui for the last 12 years, have heard my fair share of not-so-happy Nightmarchers tales. Like, people vanishing and whatnot.

greeneyedoll; If I'm not mistaken, there's only one active volcano here. On the Big Island. And I'm sure it doesn't flow near any settlements that I'm aware of.

it seems like such a beautiful place. if not for scary volcanoes.

I have heard of these nightmarchers. I always thought it was interesting.

Aww.. I love Hawaii!

All the red triangles represent Volcanoes...

user posted image

Edited by NME_locus

Hey, koenig, you totally fail to address how 'bad' Nightwatchers can be/are. I, being a resident of Maui for the last 12 years, have heard my fair share of not-so-happy Nightmarchers tales. Like, people vanishing and whatnot.

greeneyedoll; If I'm not mistaken, there's only one active volcano here. On the Big Island. And I'm sure it doesn't flow near any settlements that I'm aware of.

Ressurection of old topic!!!!

Janiel, yes, I forgot to mention how very un-benefitial Nightmarchers can be/are.

Here in Hawaii, we have these ghosts called Nightmarchers. They march along paths on each island in a procession. Depending on if the procession is for chiefs or other things, when you see them, you are supposed to bow down to them and NOT LOOK AT THEM AT ALL. Or you will be killed.

But IMO, it's just all about showing respect for the spirits of these great islands. And Janiel, care to contribute to this topic? : )

Oohh please do tell!

• 1 year later...
Here in Hawaii, we have these ghosts called Nightmarchers. They march along paths on each island in a procession. Depending on if the procession is for chiefs or other things, when you see them, you are supposed to bow down to them and NOT LOOK AT THEM AT ALL. Or you will be killed.

But IMO, it's just all about showing respect for the spirits of these great islands. And Janiel, care to contribute to this topic? : )

Hello all!

I know I'm resurrecting a topic that is way out of date, but I'm from Hawai'i- though I've been residing on the Mainland for the last 10 years- and just thought I'd share more information about the Night Marchers. Being partially Hawaiian, I was often reminded of the importance of these spirits.

The Night Marchers are supposed to be the spirits of ancient Hawaiian warriors. They are often described as having glowing eyes and their feet are not seen. Each procession is proceeded by the pounding of war drums and sometimes the piping of bamboo nose flutes. They have certain paths which they traverse- throughout all eight main islands- there actually more the two hundred islands in the Hawaiian archipelago. Many locals know where the paths are. Some unfortunately go right through people's homes.

The reason the Night Marchers exist is not really known by many people in Hawai'i, but I've heard stories of Night Marcher encounters before someone dies. This, however, should not be seen as a definitive reason for such encounters, as many people have claimed to encounter them- meaning, they obivously survived.

Each procession is preceeded and followed by torch and kahili- feather standards- bearers. Actually, there are supposed to be three different types of processions, the size of which varies according to a hierarchy comprised of warriors, royalty, and gods:

The 1st: The warriors are spirits of ancient warriors.

The 2nd: This is the procession of royalty which includes chiefs and monarchs.

The 3rd: This final procession is that of the gods and goddesses.

Now, there is a protocol that is supposed to be adhered, which Koenig only lightly touched upon. The first is, if you encounter a procession, you are supposed to strip off all of your close and prostrate yourself- face down. And yes, you are not supposed to look them in the eyes.

There is a reason why one must do this. When a person encounters the Night Marchers, they check that person's ancestry to see if he or she has an ancestor within whatever procession is encountered. In Hawaiian tradition, a person can have a god or goddess as an ancestor. If you are found to not have an ancestor amongst their ranks, they kill you by trampling on you with their invisible feet.

Please understand, the information that I provided was common knowledge in my family. Not all Hawaii residents- even those who are partially Hawaiian- know this. Thus, information about Night Marchers may vary according to whom you speak with. I provided my information not to contest Koenig's information but to enhance it and share what I know.

Much information, especially about Hawaiian cultural traditions, are disseminated orally across the generations.

Whether one believes in these spirits or not is one's choice, but in Hawai'i, we ask that people respect the beliefs of those who live there.

One last thing, the Night Marchers are not "bad." An encounter with them is considered bad only by dint of the fact that the experience is supposed to be extremely frightening. Many people have claimed to witnessing a procession- no one questions them. Whether there is truth to their claims or not is of little import- people respect their beliefs. But the Night Marchers aren't out searching for souls to take. They do what they do, the only misfortune (if one wishes to see it that way) is that their world (the spirit world) sometimes over-laps with our world.

I hope my post will be helpful to those interested.

Thanks 'Lukipela', I am very interested... :tu:

Best resurrection of a thread I've ever seen!!! Thank you! Fascinating!

Being a mainlander and an Alabamian at that, I'm ashamed at how much I do not know, about Hawaii.

Since reading a book, years ago, about Father Damien, I've always been fascinated with the island of Molokai (I even collect pictures of the island) and hope to visit some day.

I would love to hear any more ghost tales or legends that you have to tell.

Excellent topic. Loved what I have read so far. Can anyone else contribute? I am ashamed to say I know nothing about Hawaii (and why is it sometimes Hawai'i ??). Thanks for bringing this one back to life :).

Excellent post Lukipela and welcome to UM....I love when interesting old threads are bought back up...If you have any more stories please post them and thanks for the share... :tu:

• 2 years later...

Aloha,

I live here on Oahu...and when I was trying to find out where to experience this I came along this..just FYI for those that are interested. My daughter would love to see this...but I am thinking from a safe distance for sure.

Alleged haunts of the Hukai-po are Oahu’s Moanalua, Nuuanu Pali Lookout, Kaaawa and Kalihi Valleys, Pali Highway in the Koolau Mountains that runs along the old battle site of the Kamehameha battle, the Kamehameha Schools campus in Kapalama and in Laie, a city of refuge in ancient Hawaii, where criminals and offenders of the culture’s strict aikapu -religious practices, were kept and the Kualoa Ranch. They have been sighted on Oahu in area that is said to be where hundreds of Hawaiian chiefs are buried.

• 1 year later...

Well, I live in Ewa beach, and there aren't very much legends or folktales for down here.

But, I'll be glad to share some of my experiences, families experiences, and stories about ewa beach/ Hawaii.

Recently, I've heard of a story, that a faceless woman lives behind the football field in James Campbell Highschool. Which freaked me out, because I go there. So, you could guess that I NEVER use the bathrooms after that story... I, unfortunately, never heard the WHOLE story, only the faceless lady part, but i'd like to know the full story. There has also been rumors of the faceless woman roaming around ewa beach during the night time. But, i've never encountered her, so I can't really say.

Pele also roams around here, as well.

One night, My brother and two of his friends were outside drinking, talking about things 25 year old men talk about. My house has a garage-sort of lot thing that separates it from my aunts house next door. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, but it's like a small parking lot. But, behind it is a fence, and behind that, is an empty lot. So, like I said, They were out in the front yard drinking. My brother had told us that he heard something messing with the gate behind the lot, but he just brushed it off as a stray cat jumping the fence. It wasn't until a young woman, maybe in her late twenties, to early thirties, who was dressed in pure white pyjamas, and had messy black hair stepped out of the lot. She looked at my brother and his friends, as if she was rushed. She asked them if they had a phone she could borrow. My brother being my brother told the woman he had no phone that she could borrow. The woman fumed, and told my brother and his friends, that they would regret it tomorrow when she was dead. After that, she stormed down the road and vanished.

After that, my brother and his friends went into the house, confused and a little shocked.

The next day, My brother was looking through the news paper, to see if the woman from that night had been killed. He had not found not a single person who looked like the woman.

Before I was born, my mother, my sister, and my brother lived in Maile. She lived in a house with a small backyard, and in the backyard was an old, rusty locker. So, one night, my mom was staying up because she was putting my older brother to sleep. So, once he fell asleep, my mom decided to get up and go watch TV. So she left my brother and sister to sleep in the room, while she went into the living room to watch TV. After a while, My mom began to hear the old rusty locker in the back yard rattle violently. Then, the whole house began to shake. My mom didn't know what was going on, so she automatically assumed it was an earthquake. She rushed back into the room, and layed over my siblings, so nothing fell on them. soon after, the shaking stopped. My mom got up, and went out into the living room, then to the kitchen to look out of the window to see if the locker in the back had fallen. It didn't fall, but it was open. My mom didn't believe it was an earthquake, because not everyone in the neighbourhood was effected by the shaking. She didn't want to believe it, but it was infact the night marchers. Some other residents who lived in that neighbour hood stated that they had seen lights, or heard some sort of chant/ speaking.

Last year, I was sleeping early, because you know. School and everything. Usually, it's normal for me to wake up at three in the morning. I hated it, because it's apparently the bewitched hour. But I didn't really believe it. So, one night, I woke up at three thirty, and just layed there. I decided to watch some TV till I fell asleep again, like usual. As I was watching Disney channel (Yes I know, LAME. lmao) The room began to shake. My TV began to slide off of my dresser, and I just watched in horror. I figured it was just an earthquake, so I just kinda sat there, watching the TV. My stool that I keep next to my bed to hold my alarm clock, and drink, or my phone, whatever, Began to drag. I turned to look at it, and it rammed into the wall. Not like a little wimpy tug, it full on RAMMED into my wall. Causing my ipod and clock to fall. I immediately called my dog over, cause I needed something to hold. I was freaking out really bad. I began to cry, and hyperventilate uncontrollably. I didn't want to get my mom, because it was still three, and I was afraid to leave my room. So, I tried calling my house phone to wake my mom, But she sleeps like a log. So, I called my dad to talk me through everything.

I'm still not sure if what I encountered were the night marchers, or just a violent ghost. But it's never happened again. And ever since that experience, I have never left my room at that hour. If I had to use the bathroom, I'd wait till it was four.

My dad works as a correctional officer at the Halawa prison. He's worked there for 25 years, and seen A LOT. Once, He was sleeping over at the prison, which is normal. If officers/ Guards get too tired to drive home, the prison allows you to spend the night. He woke up, and seen a single man in a blue suit ( or white... I forgot what color it was) walk past, into the other room. He thought it was the captian, So he went back to sleep. But, It was a little queer for the captian to be walking around that room at such a late time. So when he woke up, he went to go see the captian to ask what he was doing at that time in the room. The captian told him he wasn't in the room at all. He was busy doing paper work. Freaaaaaaaakkkyyyyyyy!