Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Philippine Mythical Creatures

Paulo

HeLLo everyone,

I would like to share some of the mythical creatures of the Night which some consider them as "folklore myths or legends" but deep in the far flung areas of the Visayan islands...these "NightWalkers" do exist.

As I said before, our country was part of Mu...and so here is why we have many dieties, nature spirits, dwarves etc. etc.

Some of these Night walkers exist since time immemorial.....they are as follows:

#1) Sigbin ...many say that this are Human shape shifer who can transformed themselves into cat or dogs.

http://www.shackelford.org/news/article.ph...op=Print&sid=60

#2) Tikbalang....a Humanoid whose face is a Horse.

http://onmyoshi.freeservers.com/tikbalang.html

#3) Kapre ...the philippines version of Bigfoot.

http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/creatures/kapre.htm

#4) Manananggal ...a female shapeshifter who eats unborn fetus and sometimes devours human flesh and blood.

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/j/a/jay...anggal.jpg.html

http://malignosrealm.netfirms.com/lessons_...anananggal.html

http://onmyoshi.freeservers.com/manananggal.html

#5) Aswang...daywalkers who can shapeshift into NightWalkers...Vampires who feed on blood & human organs

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/aswang.html

http://www.romedome.com/stories/alarena/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulo

• Kitsune

• BigDaddy_GFS

• khrazie_firefly

taken from this site... http://litera1no4.tripod.com/hiligaynon_frame.html

The Supernatural World

Hiligaynon religious belief system revolves around two kinds of orientation: the indigenous and the Christian. Both systems do not only exist side by side, they also influence each other. Many elements identified with the indigenous or traditional system are manifestly Christian in origin as in the use of the crucifix in agricultural rituals. Similarly, many beliefs associated with Christianity (both Roman Catholic and Protestant) are traceably indigenous in character as in bathing the image of the Santo Niño for rain or good luck. In other words, both systems have borrowed from each concepts and practice but modify these elements to fit their respective teleological, as well as theological, system in order to make religious experience relevant and satisfying.

<Removed excessively large copy and paste... please read the link for more info -Richdog>

Edited by Richdog

Nice amount of information, but I see no concrete proof that these creatures really do exist..........

Chris Low.

Hey,

Thanks Chris for the reply...

I would admit its hard to proved to you and to everybody. But all of this information are not folkloric stories. But are the collective stories being told by the elders in the provinces.

Maybe if you have time and the money, why don't you visit Siquijor? Maybe you can experienced the paranormal and witchcraft arts over there.

Well it'll certainly be an excellent idea to go over but if you're talking about witchcraft stuff here,thanks but, no thanks.Just don't wanna be a victim of any sort of evil stuff if you know what I mean. wink2.gif

• 1 year later...

ummm...ok?...Not to be rude but, I'm filipino myself and I don't believe all those so called "creatures" even existing in the Provinces of the Philippines, or even exists at all. To me, those are just folkloric/urban legends....Some stories that many filipinos claim to say they saw such creatures are way too far fetched. IF those creatures ever existed, don't you think it would've been official by now?...hmmm....rrrrrriiiiiight. :rolleyes:

But I must say, some stories seem rather, freaky!! Thanks for sharing Paulo.

Edited by endlessgirl

something you need to remember about humans

1. if was official they would be dead, humans fear what they don't really understand.

2. governments would deny they exist.

3. majority would those that claim to have proof are either drunk, crazy, really tired, or suffering from illness and therefore would not believe them.

yeah my old friend used to tell me stories of vampires in the philipines. some were so superstitious or wutever the word that they had their roofs layed out with contraptions that give off garlic fumes. or something like dat

hi paulo , can you tell me the diference between penangalan and malangalan? and the pontianak is philipin too right? can you tell me more about them and the aswang too please, those are very interesting creatures of vampiric folk believe, i know certain things about them , some i dont remember some i did but is diferent from the point of view of someone who knows this folklore from its own country.thanks.oh...and is it true that a aswang was seen in the i think 1995 presidential elections? i dont remember the exact date.

Edited by Charlie_0978

• 3 months later...

hellow evryone! my home town is philippines!!yeah dude! wakekeke well.....u said pontianks?? is tiayanaks called here..sorry 4 my bad english.... 4 me even dow i never see them....but im beliveng that they exist! WHITE LADY: this are spirits that maybe seek a justice.meybe....but u cant see her face some say that is blank! they wear long dress.......somtimes they see at a tree floating!!! waahahaha....another is KAPRE: is a giant man and has a cigaretes(wrong spell) wahahah...and usually seen in large,old trees in the philippines.....sometimes they fall in love w/ human and they not stop following the girl...TIYANAKS or pontianaks: watever... maybe they are the fetus or baby died and thers no Bless of a priest. MANANANGAL: some say that only head flying...or half of a body fly with a like bat wings...they can make their tounge long....another kind of mananagal is WAKWAk, these are more large than mananagal...TIKBALANG: is a half human half horse....some say that that its face look like a human,and their feet are reverse.(baliktad ba!) ASWANG: many pipol say that its exist....bcoz my uncle had a neigbor of ASWANG.....they say they change into a any kind of animals...TIKTIK: its a big bird.they say that its not harmless bcoz...when u hear the tik,tik,tik....its just a sign of ASWANG..somewhere.DWARVES,SANTELMO, AND MANY CREATURES...ARE HERE IS THE PHILIPPINES...wahehehe....witchcraft are presence here.. i also had a neigbor that has a skill of witchcraft...hehehe...but they live like a simple pipol..even though these scares me....its beautiful to visit philippines.....come and visit!!! sorry 4 my english....someday i will add information about creatures......wahohohohhoho....

How to know that pipol is ASWANG well..

#1: when you see his/her face w/out tunnel between nose and lips...

#2: they dont have shadows.....

#3: they cant look straight to you or anybody...

#4: you will feel something strange if they pass by...

thats all i know.......

The choice is on anyone to decide whether they're real or not. ^^; Some I believe in, some I don't. Admittedly. I haven't met an aswang face to face. That, or I was just not aware of their presence. Kapre? Yeah. They're there. They're not evil, though. ^^ They're actually lucky... folks here believe it's good fortune for the lucky person if the latter sneaks a peek into his room. Ahahaha~ that is, if they won't be horrified mad... ghosts, spirits, name them. They're around, too. We have our share of them back at our country house and it's in our luck to get the most mischievious ones! We're spared from their onslaught, because we're of their caretaker's blood.. (my grandpa's a shaman). And about tamawos, there are about three tamawo races. White, black, red. They could be either benevolent, malevolent or neutral. I was thankful, I wasn't black, though I wish I'd have been white. :D But I guess red is okay. Disadvantageous thing is, we get so quick tempered. Additional thing on tamawos.. they're the opposing side of babaylans, soranos. I had a friend who's descended of the former, and pulling a strand of my hair burned her. Owch. I'm glad it wasn't serious. It was a surprise. I'm trying to find out more about tamawos...

mananggal sounds brutal

Right. And scary, too. >_> Our vampire version, what's it like? I get confused whenever the topic is mentioned and at some points it was crossed with the manananggal...

Hello there I live in Bacolod. :)

I never experienced those types of things myself.

Alright there was one time I was camping out on the school grounds. Since tents were scarce I had to sleep in the teacher's lounge. One night I was browsing around the room, nothing was interesting save for a few frogs that found their way in and kept jumping into the walls. I looked outside the window that were facing a grove and saw two red lights. Some people would say "OMG red eyes" but fear didn't register in me as I continued to stare. I asked one of my friends who share the lounge with me if she saw anything and she didn't and presumed they might be christmas lights. I left it at that but I was so curious as to where the lights were coming from that I continued to stare at them for quite some time before deciding to sleep. After I woke up I was surprised to see that I was not in the same place that I had slept on and that I had a splitting headache. During class some days later my teacher told me that during the camp-out I sleep walked around the lounge and suddenly kept on running into the filing cabinet.

By the way don't be so quick to dismiss all the hoopla about the mythical creatures. They don't show their faces for reasons best known only to themselves. They aren't stupid, they're smart, its a matter of survival after all.

Wow, good to see so many fellow Pinoys/Pinays here on the board. Seems as always everyone has different experiences. For myself, I've only lived in the PI in the summers, visiting relatives here and there. I've never seen Tamawo, Aswang, Duwende, etc. but I have seen the effects of them. So I consider myself mildly skeptical.

We have our share of them back at our country house and it's in our luck to get the most mischievious ones! We're spared from their onslaught, because we're of their caretaker's blood.. (my grandpa's a shaman). And about tamawos, there are about three tamawo races. White, black, red. They could be either benevolent, malevolent or neutral.

Are the white ones always benevolent, or the black ones always malevolent? One of our maids was supposedly cursed by two very beautiful black Tamawo that she met inside our mangrove tree (yes, inside, they live in the trees). It turned out that she was stealing from us without us knowing and the Tamawo had been protecting/warning us. It was only after she went into epileptic hysterics that we found out she was a thief. And let me tell you, even though I never saw the Tamawo, I saw firsthand that our maid seemed possessed; it took three of our houseboys to hold her down after she threw one across the room. After the Catholic priest's exorcism failed, he recommended a shaman friend of his and - long story short - the problem was taken care of.

Strange how the RC church and mystical groups tend to get along in the PI, at least on an individual level.

I was thankful, I wasn't black, though I wish I'd have been white. :D But I guess red is okay.

What a very Pinoy(Pinay?) comment ;)

On the topic of red Tamawo, my father and his brother used to see a red lady in a large stream every day on their walk to school. My father's brother was apparently very handsome when he was younger and the red lady would put her cloak across the stream so that he could cross without getting his shoes wet. My dad's family moved away after that because they were afraid that the red lady would try to steal their son.

Oddly enough, my dad's not superstitious at all, and is a geneticist by trade - so I tend to take him at his word when he tells me stories of this nature.

Still though...never seen one face to face so I will reserve final judgement until I do :)

Edited by counterveil

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps, perhaps not. I'm not sure. A tamawo's color, I think is according to their blood and specific traits. ^^ I think I've said this before... red tamawos are known for their hot temper and blood. They are the fighters of the three. Sad to say, it's pretty disadvantageous in some situations. Hehehehe.

Some story. O_O Maybe there's more to the rest of the races, too. I'm curious about them. Oh, well. Blood calls to blood.

And I'm a Pinay.

wow! more pinoys/pinays...if this creatures exist or not it still amazed me because i heard alot of story about it :) ...thanks Paolo for the information... :tu:

• 4 years later...

Hello I am also a Filipino and I believe in them... Nature spirits do abide in this realm and on their plane. I personally work in and with nature spirits a lot. It’s always been the major part of my spiritual and religious work, ever since I turned pagan and even before that, although I didn’t fully realise it at the time. For years, my practice mainly consisted of extended walks in nature, leaning on the stem of a tree for ages and lying in the grass. Nature taught me witchcraft.I learned to feel the strength of Mother Earth’s and it's mythical deities body, feel her heartbeat reverberate in my body. I felt the slow but thoroughly ALIVE energy of a tree as the saps rise in its stem. I felt death and decay in autumn and winter and realized first-hand that they aren’t bad things or indeed final; there is always, always a rebirth in spring.I learned that I can become invisible and turn into a tree. Don’t worry, I’m not a nut – well ok, maybe I am, but I’m not crazy enough to believe I can “actually” turn into a tree with stem and leaves and roots. I don’t know whether I can explain this in a way that makes sense, but I’m trying my hardest so please bear with me What I mean is that a human hiding between trees will almost always attract the looks of a passer-by, because they send out awareness energy that passer-by feels. Ever felt your back prickling when someone was walking behind you and staring at you? That’s the kind of feeling I’m referring to. Trees spirits (like fairies, dwarves, even kapre and other tree dwellers) have a more contained energy because they ARE rather than think and act. Now what the trees taught me back in my early pagan days was that I can turn into one of them on the energy level and then nobody who walks nearby will even think to turn their head and look at me. It really does work and it’s one of the skills that make me relatively safe when I roam the forests on my own, often at night.Another useful skill is the ability to sense someone approaching long before I can see or hear them. I’m not infallible of course but by now it’s become VERY hard to sneak up on me in nature. The only challenge is bicycles – they move so fast (compared to people on foot) that they often slip “under my radar”. But then, there aren’t many cyclists in the forest at night anyway. Or people, for that matter! In fact, walking the streets of any city at night is probably far more dangerous.

Edited by zachz