Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Farming Natural

Thunderbolt

now don't look at me like i'm CRAZY...

but is farming a natural form of getting food or is it something that humans started cause we're lazy as a spieses ( I can't spell )

Edited by cia

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shun

• Sherapy

• Thunderbolt

• Pax Unum

Top Posters In This Topic

now don't look at me like i'm CRAZY...

but is farming a natural form of getting food or is it something that humans started cause we're lazy as a spieses ( I can't spell )

I think its progressed from hunting and gathering and foraging, the way fariming has become industrialized is unnatural..anthing that disregards and abuses the planet and the earth is unnatural.......Saddly to say that is what farming is now......Its an excellent question...no question is stupid..... :D

actually, agriculture gave people the free time to build civilizations, have standing armies, be lazy... :tu:

Its a common misconception to think that before the industrial revolution man had no free time, he did not forage and hunt all day, he had plenty of free time ...i 'd say due to technology man has lost touch with nature and himself....so many complain of having no time for themselves.....no time for their kids , too busy surviving.......Interesting paradox wouldn't you agree.....

Though farming has become mechanized and run like a business a good farmer has a feel for the land and nature that most city dwellers do not understand. And most are at peace with them selves because at the end of a day they see the fruits of thier labor. Unlike factory's or offices were the next day is drearily the same every day.

I say its natural to an extent, like the people posted above myn machines make farming sorta unnatural in my eyes. I grow raspberrys strawberries chivs and some other random eatable stuff. I hate store baughten fruits so i try to grow them or get them from faimly friends who farm on a low scale to provide for there own faimly. I see that as natural.

Don't ants raise aphids? Seems I heard of that once.

People were once hunter-gatherers. Maybe times got tough, or the game thinned out, or the population wanted to stay in a safe place (competition from rowdy neighbors). But, some groups domesticated animals, including draft animals- like in Europe, Africa, the Mid-east, and Africa. North America had no draft animals, in early times.

At least, I don't recall oxen, cattle, or horses in the americas. But, these made great working animals, who could plow the earth. If people have a mind to survive, they will cultivate nutritious plants to insure their own survival.

Probably wheat was like any other grass, to begin with. Soft, edible and tasty "berries"

(seeds). But with repeated use, transplanting, and mixing cultivars, they end up with

a plant that gives even more yield. But, obviously, it requires a mill stone to grind it.

Next thing you know, everyone is doing something to make this succeed. It's no different than hunting, or fishing. You have to remember not to eat the seed corn, though!

But, today there are issues. Like nitrogen pollution, that runs into streams and lakes and the ocean. That feeds algae, some of which deplete O2 in the water, which kills fish. Nitrogen also feeds organisms that attack coral reefs. The reefs help protect shorelines from large waves. They also give fish a home. I suppose we could build artificial reefs, but what a hassle.

Right now, there is a pretty bad drought where I live. In fact, farmers and ranchers are not having a good year, clear up through the middle of the U.S. Can you imagine trying to fuel our transportation needs on corn alcohol? What if we had an extended dry spell?

Walking is not natural, in today's economy.

I would say that farming is completely natural and would venture to suggest that farmers are probably more complete as people, owing to working so close to the earth and in rhythm with the seasons, very much NOT like the rest of us..

Farming is not completely human...ants farm aphids and caterpillars, while termites farm fungus...

Farming was a way for humans to get food, so they could stop following the mastadon herds...

well see thats what i was trying to say i guess

Dont forget only 300 years ago the Australian Aborigine were still hunter gatherers.

They did not farm!

They had not seen "white man"!

They had only domesticated the dog (dingo)!

They did not have the wheel!

They have "evolved/been forced" into an industrialised world.

And that is the point I was trying to make. Given access to to the braun that four legged creatures offer, civilization gained additional muscle. Food became more plentiful, more

heavy work was accomplished, and ideas eventually sped from one land location to another.

Advancing societies moved faster on land because of horses, and domesticated animals offered work and resources (clothing, leather, tools, meat, and milk). Other advances proceeded through seafaring.

But, surely the aboriginees of Australia took advantage of food in the coastal waters.

They may have had boats, but did they travel?

Anyway, what they did was natural, but repetitive.