Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you do to help the Earth?

Roj47

I read between this forum and various others how concerned we all are about the state of the planet, the end etc etc etc...

I am intrigued to know what you do to help the environment and Earth bar talk about ideas and what should be done.

The largest difference I try and make is reducing heating within my home and actually wearing warm clothes indoors at home (instead of heating on full and sat in shorts etc....)

Smallest difference I make is taking plastic bags to the supermarket to re-use with my shopping.

Thankfully collections in the area now provide a bin for purely paper waste (and thankfully has not be tragetted as a bon fire target).

Sadly I work some 50 miles from home in a remote part, so pump a load of fumes into the air, but I try....

Anyway..... What does everyone else do?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roj47

• Celumnaz

• frogfish

• Oppono Astos

Very good question Roj47. I like to conserve water and I also don't use more power than is necessary. I also like to throw my bio-degradable refuse like veggie peelings and fruits etc out onto the veld near me so that they can go back into the earth they came from and feed the creatures there before they decompose completely.

I think that's about all I do - will think more about this.

well well...what I do to help the world?.....since I am a volunteer with the green corp mob, I plant native trees in area's needed (and no i am not a tree huggin hippy!), also I used to do a course CALM (conservation and land mangement) and normally attend "clean up australia's day" perhaps theres more but I'm lost for words at the moment!

well well...what I do to help the world?.....since I am a volunteer with the green corp mob, I plant native trees in area's needed (and no i am not a tree huggin hippy!), also I used to do a course CALM (conservation and land mangement) and normally attend "clean up australia's day" perhaps theres more but I'm lost for words at the moment!

Excellent..... There is a wooded area near where I live. Most the trees are 60 years+, and is the case some have to be taken down after storms for safety measures.

The good news is that replacement trees are planted.

The bad news is the majority are snapped by kids within a month :(

I wonder the cost between replacing broken trees against metal guards to prevent the vandalism.

Would love an idea where every household with the facility to were legally required to plant a tree in the garden. Yes..... I know it is not feasible, but you would get some major co2 reduction as a result surely?

Political engineering theory contributor. I have had success there.

I sucked as a wannabe inventor. I suppose even rock stars and film stars want to be something they are not at times. Too bad so many of them wander over into politics.

Recycle all I can. Have a composter in the garden. Hardly ever have heating on, even in winter. Don't leave appliances on stand by. Walk to work. Run a business recycling old goods and furniture (aka Antique Centre ;) )

Of course the very best thing everyone can do it to not have children. If we could get the global human population down to around 10% of its current level then most of Earth's problems would be solved .......

Of course the very best thing everyone can do it to not have children. If we could get the global human population down to around 10% of its current level then most of Earth's problems would be solved .......

Now there potentially is a whole arguement in itself with a lot of personal opinion and thought on the issue.

Will have to look on some demigraphics on the current buzz word of carbon footprint for households with and without children (although obviously children grow up and seek independance..... Just like I havent at 32 :innocent: )

I recycle, and turn off the lights whenever I leave a room.

Also try to use eco-friendly stuff whenever I can.

keep my gas tank above half, when it hits half I fill it up.

recycle cans (I get $)

do turn off lights and other devices when not in use

to reduce global warming, I've taken up opening windows when the AC is in use, both car and house. (I like the fresh air and the cool breeze)

throw most bio-degradable refuse out back in the weed garden.

kill all CO2 producing rodents I find in my house

Use Aresol sprays Indoors, so it doesn't float up and make a hole in the ozone

carry an ashtray in my pocket (I don't throw butts on the ground)

I pick up litter around the office building and in the alleyway. If I see any while walking with kids I'll pick it up (unless it's just nasty or too big or something... like those feces and blood covered latex gloves down by the river every few weeks... I leave them alone)

hmm... we grow vegitables and spices and don't own any pets... but do feed the local stray cats now and then... and the local stray dogs... imo they help keep the people away. Oh, and I don't kill wasp nests, have probably 50 some odd yellowjacket nests around my house. They DO help keep people away, an never bothered me or kids or wife once.

keep my gas tank above half, when it hits half I fill it up.

Coo...... I would love to know the reason on this unless just a personal preference?

Along the lines of filling the kettle with enough water for the cuppa, but no more....?

I once overheard an engineer talking to someone saying something along the lines of vaccum and pressure and whatnot and saying that's why you get better mileage when you keep a full tank opposed to running it on fumes.

I figured it woudn't Hurt, and it *might* help... so it's what I do. Also, was chased around town by a PO'd girlfriend one time many years ago, she ran out of gas before I did. That was the clincher for my then newfound habit of keeping a full tank. (and then, I get happy when prices change and I only have to fill up half a tank or quarter tank with the new higher prices instead of a full tank)

Not happy, Not happy at all........I am supposed to be helping the world out but when I got home I notice something was missing...I notice a really big as* African Mahogany tree (I hope I spelt that right) was gone!!!!! :( All was left a stump, as they say you can tell how old a tree is by counting the rings on the stump, so I did, and it had 70 rings! If my calculations are correct thats obviously 70 years old! :o

How did this happened is because of my parents, they called the council to cut it down because kids were swinging of the branches (It was leaning over our fence) but i said just only cut the branches and they said they'll do tht. Unfortunately this did not happened :angry2: That tree was something like historic to me, since we been living with it the past 14 years.

Though this was a big disappointment to me, this made my goal helping the enviroment stronger...... ^_^

cheers

Edited by lost-soul

I drive a small four cylinder car, I Recycle, I use low wattage light bulbs. (That one really saves on the electric bill.) I keep my air at 83. I used to clean up the beach at the local state park but my illness derailed that. I have grown native plants and trees for the state park.

Recycle, reuse stuff, compost pile out back. When hiking, I always bring along a trash bag and pick up every piece of trash I see. I conserve water and electricity, support organic farming and drive only when necessary. Most importantly, I am teaching my kids to do the same.

i drive a small car, and try to conserve fuel . i also plant trees and conserve water. i also use florsent lights of around 25w which put out 100w worth= to a regular light .

At the risk of being flippant on a serious subject - wait for the Ashen to arrive on Earth!

Not sure how many of you read or studied The Only Planet Of Choice, which was supposed to document the chanellings of supposed The Council of Nine by Phylis Schlemmer - a project that involved and was part funded by Gene Roddenberry? According the the channeled info, Earth was 'designed' for a human population of 10,000 - that all went wrong because humans were given free will as part fo the experiment that is planet Earth.

Hi All this is my first Post :D , I help in many little ways, I recycle anything the recycle company takes, I plant only plants that are native to my area to save on water. I drive a little Metro :blush: I buy used items only when possible. Got the local high school to recycle all their paper. Take nature walks and pic up trash. keep the eletric off the air turn down. I'm sure there is more put I kinda feel its a hopless battle :cry: I do believe Mother Earth will reclaim herself some day ;) .

I don't recycle anything...it all winds up at the dump eventually anyway. I don't try to do anything that is designed to help the Earth. I think the Earth is just fine as it is...always has been..always will be.

However, sometimes, I drink Scotch Whiskey all night long and die behind the wheel....

....okay, not really (just have that song going through my head) :huh:

Edited by joc

I once overheard an engineer talking to someone saying something along the lines of vaccum and pressure and whatnot and saying that's why you get better mileage when you keep a full tank opposed to running it on fumes.

I figured it woudn't Hurt, and it *might* help... so it's what I do. Also, was chased around town by a PO'd girlfriend one time many years ago, she ran out of gas before I did. That was the clincher for my then newfound habit of keeping a full tank. (and then, I get happy when prices change and I only have to fill up half a tank or quarter tank with the new higher prices instead of a full tank)

Never heard of fuel tank pressure being critical for the average fuel-injected road car. Running with extra fuel in the tank adds to the vehicle's weight, which decreases its fuel efficiency.

Some communities, like mine, have not approved city-wide recycling because of the cost.

However, there could come a time when they vent and recapture the methane at the local dumps. Methane burns very clean in power generation. It is one small step.

We have laws against open burning.

We run on technologies inspired by Richard Milhouse Nixon. He was insistant that the U.S.

have effecient everything, to offset oil shocks to the economy.

I also grit my teeth, whenever I buy merchandise. It happens when I see "Made Elsewhere" on the label. However, it turns into a mild grimace when I realize America pollutes less, if someone else makes our widgets. So, I spend, spend, spend.

I drive a small economy car, recycle aluminum cans, dry my laundry out on the line. We just cleaned out about 1 1/2 acres on the property that had been used as a dump for about 50 years. We do not use alot of electricity, but that is mostly due to the fact that the house that I am in is still wired by 1930's standards . No lights during the day, no air conditioners :w00t: . We use one "swamp" cooler, and a few fans. we really are not doing much..what we are doing is out of necessity. When we move I am sure we will have more modern conveniences. But I still want to go solar with the electricity someday.