Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sahara desert once lush and populated

UM-Bot

news icon rAt the end of the last Ice Age, the Sahara Desert was just as dry and uninviting as it is today. But sandwiched between two periods of extreme dryness were a few millennia of plentiful rainfall and lush vegetation.During these few thousand years, prehistoric humans left the congested Nile Valley and established settlements around rain pools, green valleys, and rivers.

The ancient climate shift and its effects are detailed in the July 21 issue of the journal Science.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: MSNBC

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frogfish

• IronGhost

• Felly

• VonDäniken

Extremely interesting. Also adds fuel to the fire for those who theorize that the Sphinx was built about 12,000 years ago by some folks other than the classic Egyptions.

I think I've heard this kind of thing before- the Sahara was once a lake, etc. etc. :hmm:

I think I've heard this kind of thing before- the Sahara was once a lake, etc. etc. :hmm:

I've also read that the Sahara might be the result of an ancient nuclear bomb...

Extremely interesting. Also adds fuel to the fire for those who theorize that the Sphinx was built about 12,000 years ago by some folks other than the classic Egyptions.

Not really. The folks who decided that the weathering on the Sphinx was due to water looked back in time to see when that much water was available. This isn't confirming it; this is what they used to make that claim in the first place.

Not really. The folks who decided that the weathering on the Sphinx was due to water looked back in time to see when that much water was available. This isn't confirming it; this is what they used to make that claim in the first place.

Right, I know this doesn't confirm the Sphinx theory being 12,000 years old -- but it does give some ammunition. Also, remember that a famous geologist, based on a study of the bedrock of the SPhinx, thinks it must have been built 12,000 years ago -- so it's not just the water erosion evidence. There's astronomical evidence as well. Still, the theory is a stretch -- I just think it's tantalizing.

I've also read that the Sahara might be the result of an ancient nuclear bomb...

that explains it all... :lol:

that explains it all... :lol:

Agreed, hehe... :alien::D

This not much of a surprise...Antarctica was once a rainforest home to dinosaurs such as crylophosaurus...Oh, and on the topic of the Sphinx...The egyptians built it :tu:

wouldn't the entire desert be turned into glass at an explosion of such temperature?

wouldn't the entire desert be turned into glass at an explosion of such temperature?

Don't wrack your brain over it, he's wrong anyways.

i think the idea is that it wasn't a desert until the magical ancient nuke baked everything... :-P

Theoretically correct, but what was said is misleading -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5196362.stm

anyways....... you're talking some 30m years ago....

Right, I know this doesn't confirm the Sphinx theory being 12,000 years old -- but it does give some ammunition. Also, remember that a famous geologist, based on a study of the bedrock of the SPhinx, thinks it must have been built 12,000 years ago -- so it's not just the water erosion evidence. There's astronomical evidence as well. Still, the theory is a stretch -- I just think it's tantalizing.

Actually, the Geologist (Robert Schoch) simply says that the weathering was caused by rainfall, concludingn that it must therefore date at least back to the last period in which regular rain fell in that part of Egypt - approx 6-7,000 years ago.

btw if the Sahara was caused by a nuclear explosion (presumably severel over long periods of time , since it was just as arid 15,000 years ago .... ;) ) then why isn't Hiroshima now a desert :P;)

well i have heard about the meteor theory before which is why i mentioned it, but thanks for the article, it was very interesting...