Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Infinite Universe

a4mula

Infinity, what an unimaginable concept. Space, Time that goes on forever. While I realize the Big Bang theory states that our universe is not infinte per say that it is continually in a finite state of expansion (followed possibly by collapse) I cannot help but think that beyond this rate of expansion something must exist.

If I drop a pebble in a lake, the ripples will not be infinite. They will go until the momentum is exausted. That however does not deny the existence of the lake itself or the land surrounding it.

I have many problems of an infinite universe however. Probability factors that with infinite time and infinite space all things are not only probable they are a reality. Not only are they a reality they are reality infinitely over. The same events the same realities occuring throughout different parts of this inifinte universe. Every thought, every dream, every possible scenerio being played out at some point in existence.

This is a subject that has twisted my mind and caused a great deal of unrest for me. If the universe is not indeed infinite then we come to the brick wall paradox. If it is indeed infinite then we come to the probability factor. If our universe is nothing more than an expansion in 'empty' space, how do we make the determination that the space containing this expansion is truley empty?

I'm undetermined in my thoughts on the matter. Perhaps someone could help shed some light on a subject that has bothered me for years. Lets hear your thoughts, your theories. Do we exist in an infinte universe? Is it infinite in both directions, both macro and micro? Does our universe extend well beyond our scope of small? Can our atoms contain infinitely packed regions of space that go on forever? Lets get the juices flowing and come up with some thoughts.

Edited by a4mula

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• a4mula

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi a4mula,

There has been a similar topic before which you may want to read: How can Space be infinite?

As the previous topic has been inactive for quite a while I will not merge the two threads but start afresh with this one.

I believe there is at least one similar thread on the Mysteries Of Mind, Space & Time forum. That is a big forum and it may take a fair bit of searching to find it.

Hi a4mula,

There has been a similar topic before which you may want to read: How can Space be infinite?

As the previous topic has been inactive for quite a while I will not merge the two threads but start afresh with this one.

I believe there is at least one similar thread on the Mysteries Of Mind, Space & Time forum. That is a big forum and it may take a fair bit of searching to find it.

I apologize for the repost. I did dig a few pages, and did a forum search for "Infinity". I appreciate you allowing the post to stay and hopefully we'll receive some interesting thoughts on the matter. I'll look through you latter link to see what I can find. Thanks =)

No need to apologise. I wasn't complaining. The other thread has been in active for quite awhile now. I just thought you might be interested in what had been said previously.