Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meteor Hunters

Bigfoot_Is_Real

While Oil still is the Gold of 21st century, The Sliver is Meteors, People around the world are searching for meteors that are worth twice their weight in gold, Any place is good to search, In fact I am going to use a metal detector on a weird hole that appeared in my backyard in June, when I get home from vacation that is, So why not join the Hunt, but this topic isn't just for talking about this growing occupation, No, Its also for gathering data and information on what common meteors and the craters common folk like me and you can find anywhere.

Ok I can't find any pictures or sites that tell me what to expect and i was wondering what you guys might know. :tu:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigfoot_Is_Real

• leadbelly

• frogfish

• Waspie_Dwarf

Bigfoot_Is_Real, firstly you will never find a meteor with a metal detector. A meteor is something which burns up in the upper atmosphere. What you are looking for is meteorites.

Secondly although many meteorites contain iron, many more are stoney and will not be detected by a metal detector.

I suggest you google for meteorite if you want to study these objects.

FrogFish, Bigfoot_Is_Real did not say that meteor(ite)s are literally silver any more than he said oil is literally gold. He was implying that they are valuable.

yes i know all of that but you can find meteorites with a metal detector

Your library is bound to have some books that will inform you about the basics.

On top of that, yes, you can find iron-bearing meteorites with the help of a detector. And, to be even more help, you should hunt in generally open, dry, sandy areas. Not all sand is brown, and if you are in an area where the sand is lighter in color, that will enhance your ability to visually locate specimans.

Areas of this world, where people have not been, is increasingly rare. But, until you are able to go various places "at the drop of a hat", you will probably look in your town, or near where you live. If you are fortunate and locate something, you may need to pay for a minerological analysis, if you plan to sell it. Unless it is easy to identify.

Sure, there are people who make a vocation from this. But more do it for hobby, or at best, a sideline avocation. At my sister's place, she has been visited by field trips from the University of Texas geology department. Not for meteorites, but to study rare granite formations. They probably have picked the place clean.