Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

6 Report UFO in Durham skies

Lionel

user posted imageIt flashed across the sky like a shooting star, trailing a tail of green streaks. But what Durham police Lt. Morris Taylor saw Monday night on Erwin Road was different from any shooting star he had ever seen before. "It was pretty wild looking," Taylor said of the unidentified flying object. "It looked comparable to the size of the moon in the sky." Durham police dispatchers began receiving calls about an unidentified flying object at around 8:45 p.m. Monday, and one resident even flagged down a passing police cruiser to report the object. According to a dispatcher, about six reports were received in all. Durham County Sheriff's Deputy Brad O'Briant said he was checking property on U.S. 70 when he saw the flying object over in the direction of Interstate 40. O'Briant said the object was moving too fast to discern its color, but its tail had a distinctive greenish-white hue to it, he said. "It just went across the sky and disappeared as it got toward the horizon area," he said. "It was a lot larger than a shooting star would be. It was almost like a firework going to the ground or something."

Air traffic controllers at Raleigh-Durham International Airport said they hadn't seen the object, but several pilots reported catching glimpses of it Monday night. Durham dispatchers said they received reports of sightings around South Miami Boulevard and Page Road, Duke Forest, and as far north as the Little River area. "I thought it looked pretty neat," Taylor said. "I had never seen a shooting star like that before." Taylor said the object was "humongous" compared to a shooting star. "It was a shooting star-type of thing," he said. "I can't imagine anything else that it could be. We haven't had any calls about anything crashing or anything."

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Herald Sun

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reese2

• Saru

• Lionel

• Daring Souls

Interesting stuff, it's quite unusual for a UFO report to be accompanied by photographs these days. Whatever the object is, it's certainly bright.

It was almost like a firework going to the ground or something

Could this be a firework of some kind ? It is not far from Bonfire Night here in the UK, it is not uncommon for people to be letting off Fireworks at this time of the year.

Yeah, but I think this is in North Carolina, we don't have Bonfire Night here in the states. Still, could be fireworks though.

Yeah, but I think this is in North Carolina

Ah of course, the first time I skimmed through the article I automatically assumed that it was referring to Durham in England, I forgot that there was also a Durham in the United States.

That certainly does decrease the likelihood of a firework being to blame, but then as you say, it's still a possibility nonetheless.

It doesn't look like a fire ball. (F.Y.I. Fireballs are what happen when meteorites enter our atmosphere and reach the lower layers. They are often mistaken for UFO's) I've seen them, and they don't look like what is in these photo's, though the written desription is quite similar.

Whoa. Not often you get pictures on such a topic. Well, not decent pictures anyway.

Did you know there was a celebration on that day the object happen to pass by?

It was a celebration called "Deepavali" for the Indians. Maybe some Indians who is staying around there light up some expensive crackers like what they usually do it Asia.

Well...

I happened to be just east of Durham during this period and I saw something but it wasn't anything as big and bright as that. I was also in the Monroeville area of PA the week before. Was almost going to locate Kecksburg out of curiosity and go spend a night or have a meal there. Didn't though.

Sure is a pretty set of pictures.

When I was living in Fredericksburg Va, there was a sighting in the local paper, this was about 3 years ago, from some police officers. They described the same green trails, following their UFO... (Of course it was never investigated, and soon forgotten) There has to be a little bit to the story, since this is, at least, the second sighting of a UFO, with tailing green light.

Hmmm, interesting.. I will look and see if they have the article in their archives...

Hmmm... I stayed in Winchester on the way back. That area sure has grown since the early-mid 70s.

I guess we should all watch the skies more, huh?

Yes, it has Daring Souls..........

I watch the sky all the time............ You never know..... wink2.gif

I looked for the article in the archives, and I couldn't find it. sad.gif

Reese

OK, I found piece of the article......... It was a little more than 3 years ago, that is probably why I couldn't find it so easily...

NEON GREEN UFO SEEN IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA

On Friday, April 3, 1998, at 6:30 p.m., a UFO described as "a small, neon green, egg-shaped object" flew over downtown Fredericksburg, Virginia (population 19,027).

Several local residents, plus four officers of the Fredericksburg police, witnessed the UFO's over flight. Eyewitness Robert Tolen of Spotsylvania County spotted the UFO while he was at a pay phone at Eubank's Amoco station on Princess Anne Street. "I believe it was a UFO," Tolen was quoted as saying in the Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star, "I don't care what anyone says." Michael Todaro of Stafford County "was at a baseball field at Falmouth Elementary School" when he spied the UFO, saying, "It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen."

"If someone else hadn't seen it, I never would have told anyone about it. Never. Never," Todaro told the Free-Lance Star. According to the newspaper, the four officers "were in the parking lot behind police headquarters" when they sighted the object. The newspaper checked with the Wallops Island missile test range near Chincoteague to determine if the witnesses had actually witnesses a rocket test. But a spokesman for Wallops Island told them that there "were no tests on Friday."

Fredericksburg is just south of Route 3, about 57 miles (91 kilometers) north of Richmond, the state capital.

The Free-Lance Star also reported a UFO incident near the Patuxent Naval Air Test Center in Lexington Park, Maryland (population 9,743). "Witnesses saw a blue UFO that same evening" near the center on Highway 235, and "It hovered for a few minutes, then sped away." (See the Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star for April 7, 1998. Many thanks to Kenneth Young, public relations director for Tri-States Advocates for Scientific Knowledge, T.A.S.K., for forwarding the article.)

Link

OK, this is a bit off topic.. Here is a link to more reportings of green UFO's.. Pretty weird that there have been so many............

Reese

I live a couple of hours away from the area, and around here it is unusual for the news to pick up a story like this. It is not considered newsworthy. I'm impressed the paper not only did the story as a serious piece but also that it printed the pictures. Well done.

nice pictures. its a shame that they dont show the object a bit more clearly

Has there ever been any perfectly clear pics of UFOs ?

I mean really super clear. Not a toy, not an experimental airforce jet, or strange lights but something I can look at and say " wow . Now that is definately a starship"