Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scotty to return to the final frontier

UM-Bot

news icon rThe remains of actor James Doohan, who played the starship Enterprise's chief engineer "Scotty" on "Star Trek," will be blasted into space in October, the company organizing the flight said this week.

The actor who inspired the catchphrase "Beam me up, Scotty" — even though it was never actually uttered on the show — died a year ago at the age of 85. On the program, when Capt.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Azstaranet.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronGhost

• UM-Bot

• Steeler Mania

• Griffon

Top Posters In This Topic

God rest your soul, James Doohan. I was a big fan, and I also know he was a war hero -- he participated in the D-Day invasion, was wounded many times, and even had a finger blown off. He was a great Canadian patriot and a war hero.

But this is one hell of a poor idea -- launching the ashes of dead people into space! It's a stupid, outrageous waste of resources. Some dumb company is going to make a profit on this kind of bull***t. It's a joke!

The worst aspect is if any of this junk stays in orbit -- debrise in earth orbit could potentially become and extremely dangerous and difficult problem. A single screw or washer in orbit around the earth would have the impact of a hand grenade if it slammed into a satellite or the space station.

Some scenarios warn of an ever expanding band of junk in orbit, which could ultimately doom all space travel -- when once piece of junk hits another, you get dozens more pieces of debrise which further pollutes earth orbit. It's possible that a vast cloud of deadly object could litter earth orbit, making sending anything up much riskier.

Where are government regulators on this issue? This is extremely dumb, and should be banned!

You just said that you loved the guy's work and now your calling him junk. >_<

No Griffin -- I'm saying this idea to launch the dead ashes of people into space is truly ridiculous. I don't consider a small vile of Doohan's ashes to be the man himself!! The ashes of any dad man or woman should not become dangerous orbital debrise! If anything, this is an absurd desecration of human remains.

Hail, James Doohan, and farewell.

A lot depends on where they put him in orbit, sounds like they are going to put him in a low orbit were you wouldn't find satellite, then after a while he goes into the atmosphere and burns up. I don't see a problem with it. I hope they tell us when it happens so we can all go out and give him one last salute.

Thanks for the info on his war record, I didn't know about that.

It is too bad they couldn't send him out into the solar system were he could really explore the final frontier. :alien:

Rest in peace Mr. Scott. Remember, Spock said "there are always possibilities"..

Live long and prosper in your new home, Scotty!