Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Green Dragon ghost

Loonboy

Okay. I have re-read the two posts and have "debunked" part of my own theory (how's that for thorough :wacko:).

The intial post said that the conclusion they reached that this was a ghost was based on the man vanishing (I interpreted that as him "dissolving in front of their eyes").

The second post says that he didn't "dissolve". I jumped on this and was a bit previous about it :blush:. It was an honest mistake but it was a mistake and I admit it.

Re-reading, they state that the man vanished "from the room with no exits". That is, they saw him enter the room but, when they looked into that room he wasn't there and there were no exits.

It seems the only way to move closer to my proving this story mistaken or not from this perspective is to determine if such a room exists (i.e. has a door on the correct side leading out onto the path they were on, matching the description given and, indeed having no exits). If there is no such room then, IMO, a mistake has been made. If there is such a room then it lends a large amount of support to their evidence and renders this story unable to be disproved (i.e. one cannot say it definitely did not happen). We can then make up our own minds about what really did happen but can't say one way or the other for sure.

If I still lived in Yorkshire I would actually go there and make enquiries. Unfortunately it is a bit of a trek from Thailand so it's out until I go home in March (when I will visit).

That is the way I would go about things. Looking at what they said (reading it all wrong, correcting myself :rolleyes:) then trying to validate what can be validated (i.e. the matching of their story to the physical evidence - the buildings).

Until March, then, I can not make any conclusions about this story. I have my own theories but they are just that and I am leaving them out as it is just conjecture and not investigative or useful.

As an addendum, I was going to send the Green Dragon an email asking them about their buildings but they don't take email enquiries.

They do have a telphone number on their website http://www.greendragonhardraw.co.uk/aboutus.htm if anyone cares giving them a ring. Again, it would just cost too much from Thailand or I'd do it myself.

• 10 years later...

Discrepancies are common, mistakes are made. The eyes are far more complex than any person on this thread and therefore it can be expected that some differences can occur.

Both people could not be stood in the exact same place at the exact same time. This could lead to easy manipulation of their senses to cause them to see what is indeed the exact same thing but have mildly different recollections of it.

Have you never heard, seen, smelled, felt or tasted something that somebody had a different experience with?

Marmite - love it or hate it

Classical music - beautiful or boring

Bondage - Into it or too much for you

Petroleum - love the smell or sickening

Art - COMPLETELY PERCEPTION BASED

My point is, a perfect description isn't always achievable; just a similarity can be enough. Ghosts are a strange topic as it is anyway and unless you want to explain how they do or do not exist; you can't say that they are not able to be different for each person seeing them.

For example: I see this thread and I see 2 people that had a cool story to tell and a load of people getting on their back for frivolous reasons because they have nothing more to do than refute somebody elses story when ironically.....just as you claim these people "don't have enough information".... you have none - no recollection of this event, no part in the it's occurrence and more than likely; no imagination.

Furthermore, the comment of which mentioned their lack of realisation until later on, this happens to anyone and everyone.

Now excuse the suggestions I make here (this is to the writers of this story). These people could be anyone. They could be the brightest people with doctorates, they could also be one the other end of the same spectrum. They could young, old, short sighted, anaemic, carnivorous or ANYTHING! Which brings me to the point of saying, do you even know what you are refuting?

All you've said, is they're mistaken.

Have you ever gotten to the bottom of your stairs and said "why did I come down here?" to yourself before realising that you came downstairs to get your phone? I know that I have. People lose track of what they're doing, people don't put 2 + 2 together and make 4 immediately everyday because when you have as many stimuli as we do as humans; it's a much more difficult maths problem.

to put it simply

2516816516851468 + 658416875617 = ?????????

if you can do that every time with a random set of numbers immediately; then by all means, tell them that they should have questioned themselves sooner, but unless you can do that, you have no reason to believe that they have any misfortune of "mass suggestion"

Furthermore the discrepancy of "in a doorway" to then going "under the doorway". I'm sure that somebody stood just outside of their front door, could very easily be described as standing in a doorway. A turn of phrase is very common in today's society however, as unfortunate as it is, respect isn't.

Discrepencies

Doorway - turn of phrase

Description - perception

Realisation - confusion

Vanishing - TOK (http://blogs.osc-ib.com/2014/04/ib-teacher-blogs/dp_tokglobal/time-delay-in-vision-tok-sense-perception-and-the-world/)

I stumbled across this post whilst looking for some spooky stories as I plan to visit the Green Dragon shortly (which i'm sure, someone will tell me that i only WANT to believe the story as I've shown an interest in it) and if i decided to give you the evidence of my visit and then made an account in which i saw  man of a description that fits very similarly to this story; i'm sure you would suddenly spark your fingertips at the thought of another person to put down.

I read their story and enjoyed it

I read your responses and became enfuriated enough to stop everything else that i was doing and ensure that they know that not every person on the internet is a keyboard junkie that likes to scream their opinions through a monitor.

Put some evidence, some references and some genuine reasons as to why we should believe you and not the lovely couple that enjoys taking a walk in North Yorkshire.

I don't mean your own account; i mean a psychological theory that could explain their misconception, a biology paper that could suggest that their hormonal inbalance caused delusions or even a neuroscience report that states changes to neuron activity during exercise.

Give a reference, give a reason. If you can't do that; then for all I know, maybe you're that very ghost sending a reply to try to maintain his secrecy.

You cannot expect me to believe in your response, if you do not have evidence.

Just like I can't expect you to believe in their experience without evidence.

The point is, belief isn't about facts, it's about accepting whether something is real or not when their are no facts.

I typed all of this; all on my own at my very own computer.

Do you believe me? or did someone else type it? Is it my computer? Am I at a library? Am I on a phone? Did I use dictation? Did i finish my whole sandwich whilst writing this or do i still have a bit left? Did i even have a sandwich?

We can all pick at every potential meaning of every word and think of every implication. That's easy.

Can we all just enjoy a story someone has written? or leave the comments of others to go on? i couldn't; i felt the need to speak up. It's acceptance that is hard. It's believing that's difficult.

I enjoyed your story guys, i will look out for any such occurrences on my visit if i manage to go. Hopefully my girlfriend and i will enjoy a day at the waterfall and maybe meet our paranormal stranger.

Thus thread has been dead ages ago. Since 2006 and I doubt most posters in this topic still active here

6 hours ago, BennyWoddle said:

Discrepancies are common, mistakes are made. The eyes are far more complex than any person on this thread and therefore it can be expected that some differences can occur.

Both people could not be stood in the exact same place at the exact same time. This could lead to easy manipulation of their senses to cause them to see what is indeed the exact same thing but have mildly different recollections of it.

Have you never heard, seen, smelled, felt or tasted something that somebody had a different experience with?

Marmite - love it or hate it

Classical music - beautiful or boring

Bondage - Into it or too much for you

Petroleum - love the smell or sickening

Art - COMPLETELY PERCEPTION BASED

My point is, a perfect description isn't always achievable; just a similarity can be enough. Ghosts are a strange topic as it is anyway and unless you want to explain how they do or do not exist; you can't say that they are not able to be different for each person seeing them.

For example: I see this thread and I see 2 people that had a cool story to tell and a load of people getting on their back for frivolous reasons because they have nothing more to do than refute somebody elses story when ironically.....just as you claim these people "don't have enough information".... you have none - no recollection of this event, no part in the it's occurrence and more than likely; no imagination.

Furthermore, the comment of which mentioned their lack of realisation until later on, this happens to anyone and everyone.

Now excuse the suggestions I make here (this is to the writers of this story). These people could be anyone. They could be the brightest people with doctorates, they could also be one the other end of the same spectrum. They could young, old, short sighted, anaemic, carnivorous or ANYTHING! Which brings me to the point of saying, do you even know what you are refuting?

All you've said, is they're mistaken.

Have you ever gotten to the bottom of your stairs and said "why did I come down here?" to yourself before realising that you came downstairs to get your phone? I know that I have. People lose track of what they're doing, people don't put 2 + 2 together and make 4 immediately everyday because when you have as many stimuli as we do as humans; it's a much more difficult maths problem.

to put it simply

2516816516851468 + 658416875617 = ?????????

if you can do that every time with a random set of numbers immediately; then by all means, tell them that they should have questioned themselves sooner, but unless you can do that, you have no reason to believe that they have any misfortune of "mass suggestion"

Furthermore the discrepancy of "in a doorway" to then going "under the doorway". I'm sure that somebody stood just outside of their front door, could very easily be described as standing in a doorway. A turn of phrase is very common in today's society however, as unfortunate as it is, respect isn't.

Discrepencies

Doorway - turn of phrase

Description - perception

Realisation - confusion

Vanishing - TOK (http://blogs.osc-ib.com/2014/04/ib-teacher-blogs/dp_tokglobal/time-delay-in-vision-tok-sense-perception-and-the-world/)

I stumbled across this post whilst looking for some spooky stories as I plan to visit the Green Dragon shortly (which i'm sure, someone will tell me that i only WANT to believe the story as I've shown an interest in it) and if i decided to give you the evidence of my visit and then made an account in which i saw  man of a description that fits very similarly to this story; i'm sure you would suddenly spark your fingertips at the thought of another person to put down.

I read their story and enjoyed it

I read your responses and became enfuriated enough to stop everything else that i was doing and ensure that they know that not every person on the internet is a keyboard junkie that likes to scream their opinions through a monitor.

Put some evidence, some references and some genuine reasons as to why we should believe you and not the lovely couple that enjoys taking a walk in North Yorkshire.

I don't mean your own account; i mean a psychological theory that could explain their misconception, a biology paper that could suggest that their hormonal inbalance caused delusions or even a neuroscience report that states changes to neuron activity during exercise.

Give a reference, give a reason. If you can't do that; then for all I know, maybe you're that very ghost sending a reply to try to maintain his secrecy.

You cannot expect me to believe in your response, if you do not have evidence.

Just like I can't expect you to believe in their experience without evidence.

The point is, belief isn't about facts, it's about accepting whether something is real or not when their are no facts.

I typed all of this; all on my own at my very own computer.

Do you believe me? or did someone else type it? Is it my computer? Am I at a library? Am I on a phone? Did I use dictation? Did i finish my whole sandwich whilst writing this or do i still have a bit left? Did i even have a sandwich?

We can all pick at every potential meaning of every word and think of every implication. That's easy.

Can we all just enjoy a story someone has written? or leave the comments of others to go on? i couldn't; i felt the need to speak up. It's acceptance that is hard. It's believing that's difficult.

I enjoyed your story guys, i will look out for any such occurrences on my visit if i manage to go. Hopefully my girlfriend and i will enjoy a day at the waterfall and maybe meet our paranormal stranger.

Cool story bro.

Other paranormal activity has occured at The Green Dragon in Hardraw (from the Anglo-Saxon for "shepherd's dwelling").

The land once formed part of land owned by the Cistercian monks, who settled here before moving to Jervaulx Abbey in lower Wensleydale.

During the Wars of the Roses, the Yorkist kings would rally their troops at certain known locations: ‘Meet at the banner of the Green Dragon near the waterfall’ for example. It is possible that this is where the pub's name comes from and indeed the present inn sign depicts a green dragon and a small white (Yorkist) rose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardraw

Edited by Saru
Removed images, reduced text due to copyright