Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

unknown pregnancy

LizFL

I've heard stories about women suddenly going into labor, and not have even known they were pregnant. Supposedly, they have no signs and do not show. I have googled it, and it is the sames as the stories I've heard (a friend of my sisters friend). I was wondering if any of you all have known this to happen? If so, did you have any syptoms? did you show?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HAJiME

• LizFL

• Lord Umbarger

• goalienan

It hasn’t happened to me personally, but it’s not an urban legend. It’s a medical condition; definitely happens.

I once heard about it happening to a morbidly obese teenager in my hometown. Supposedly it occurred at a local high school. Although I'm sure that it does happen, I have some reservations about the story that I've heard.

My ex mother-in-law had a phantom pregnancy... a bit different than the topic at hand, though. I have heard of people just all of a sudden giving birth, never knowing they were pregnant and I have no idea how you can't know. I was aware of just about every second of both of mine...

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm curious. If a woman doesn't know she's pregnant, you can assume she's still having periods. How can a woman have a period and be pregnant? Wouldn't she loose the baby? This is very interesting. :huh:

with my first pregnancy i kept getting sick not just morning but all day. i went to dr and he took the pregnancy test.....it came back negative. i also still had my period. this went on for about 5 months. i felt little flutters but dr kept saying it wasy my bowels, it was my stomach everything but that i was pregnant. FINALLY, after my fifth test it came back positive. the dr said i was due in may. in the mean time i'm getting bigger and bigger. this was back during the time when ultra-sounds were just coming out and they only did maybe one during the whole pregnancy. i kept telling the dr there is no way i was going to last until may...i already felt i was pregnant since the beginning... he finally agreed to do an ultrasound the last day of feb. his idea about my being so big so early was perhaps it was twins. lol after i did the ultrasound i asked well, when am i due. his response was.....uumm today.i had her march 24.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'm curious. If a woman doesn't know she's pregnant, you can assume she's still having periods. How can a woman have a period and be pregnant? Wouldn't she loose the baby? This is very interesting. :huh:

I've heard of many women bleeding during pregnancy. I've never been pregnant (tick tock goes my biological clock) so I dont know for sure, but I guess it happens

My aunt had her period all through all of her pregnancies. I knew a friend who had her period for the first 7 months, and didnt find out she was pregnant until the 6 month of pregnancy. It does actually happen alot.

My ex mother-in-law had a phantom pregnancy... a bit different than the topic at hand, though. I have heard of people just all of a sudden giving birth, never knowing they were pregnant and I have no idea how you can't know. I was aware of just about every second of both of mine...

Whats a phantom pregnancy?? :unsure:

Some women for some reason don't show, or have symptoms until the very last minute. It may just be down to their body chemistry.

I can believe it can happen unexpectedly. First of all in many women, the signs and symptoms aren't always apparent.

One of my friends has eight children. To look at her; you wouldn't think she had eight.

With her seventh child; she didn't really begin to bulge out until the 7/8th month. She then only looked no more than 3/4 months along. She really started showing near the end.

However, with her eighth child; who also happened to be her biggest showed right from the start.

With one or two of her pregnancies; I can't remember which ones-she didn't show til the last month. She said that she didn't always get the signs and symptoms with all her children, or the signs and symptoms would appear at different stages of the pregnancy. So for the signs and symptoms to escape a woman completely is probable and not unheard of.

WOW, I'm the only male on this thread so far! What a stud! Ha-ha-ha!

The human body is a strange machine. I guess that out of six billion of us, anything that you can think of is bound to happen to at least one of us sooner or later.

When I was an EMT, I devlivered two babies. The first one was from a 13 year old. Had her period all the way through, but was showing mildly. Nearly died when I told her what was happening and her mother started freaking out, screaming at me that I was lying. 20 minutes later I delivered a 8 lb. boy. No one believed it until the baby was out. Crazy stuff.

I think it's a form of denial in some cases. My Dad, who's an ER doc, has delivered dozens of children from women who say they had no idea that they were pregnant. It seems to be mroe prevailent in younger mothers...

Most women know on an inherent level, but of course, there are always exceptions...

--Marty

Whats a phantom pregnancy?? :unsure:

That's when you show all the symptoms of being pregnant, like weight gain and missed periods and nausea, but aren't really pregnant.

That's when you show all the symptoms of being pregnant, like weight gain and missed periods and nausea, but aren't really pregnant.

tht would be scarey. seriously. I wonder what would cause this?

tht would be scarey. seriously. I wonder what would cause this?

It actually happened to one of my mother's cousins. She had lost a baby to SIDS and a few months later she had convinced herself that she was pregnant again even though she was not. It is all in the mind. Her body gained weight and she even missed periods. The mind is way more powerful than we give it credit for. :yes:

The first one was from a 13 year old.

Disgusting.

Ahh I suppose that its better to have your period regularly through all your pregnancy rather than have it for like 1-2 months after you give birth :tu:

It actually happened to one of my mother's cousins. She had lost a baby to SIDS and a few months later she had convinced herself that she was pregnant again even though she was not. It is all in the mind. Her body gained weight and she even missed periods. The mind is way more powerful than we give it credit for. :yes:

Thats Kind of a scary but i guess some women juskt want a baby that badly

Few years ago one of my coworkers (in mid 40’s) was going through her menopause. Moodswings from hell, weight up and down, irregular periods …

Well somehow during that time she also got pregnant and didn’t know about it. The baby was born about one week after her doctor told her the joyful news. She’s always had very bad acid reflux problems (or whatever it’s called) so attributed the baby movements to that.

I know many people who accused her or lying about the “not knowing” part, but I believe her. And as for her “showing”, not really … she’s always been little on heavier side but at no time “looked” pregnant.

This happened to my cousin Jane, no idea she was pregnant till the day she gave birth in her mother's bathroom... It was a shock let me tell you, considering she had broken up with the father six months ago...

But all is well that ends well, the couple ended up back together, and are really happy now with little Jake two years old. :)

Edited by pagan_jedi_girl

• 1 year later...

When my cousin got pregnant she didnt show at all, she knew she was pregnant, but the creepy thing is that she could just squish her stomach and feel the baby...like its arms and legs and stuff!!! :huh:

Edited by GardenOfMagic

it happened to my sister.. she didnt know she was pregnant until the ultrasound confirmed it, at 6 months

i told her that she was, but she didnt think so.. still on the pill, and essentially have a 'period'. not showing any outward signs of pregnancy.. no morning sickness etc.. just a very tiny belly. kinda like the period bloat.

well, now i have a loopy neice who is nearly 4 (next week in fact)

Phanthom pregnancies are very common, and even expectant fathers experience it by getting morning sickness, cramps, and swollen stomachs...One man said that while in labour with his wife, she couldn't push and his stomach pains kept getting worse..Payback to the men.... :w00t:

This happened to a co-worker for mine a few years ago.

She was 39, she had a 21 year old daughter too so it wasn't even her first preganancy. She was a tall and very thin woman, she definitely didn't look pregnant. We were at work and she told another gal that she thought she was having an appendicitis attack and her friend drove her to the hospital and lo and behold she delivered a 6.8oz baby boy moments after arriving at the ER. Needless to say, she and her husband were shocked and thrilled! she had absolutely no idea she was PG, none at all.

They sent mail out to the whole company letting them know what had happened and we were all dumbfounded.

Technically, women don't have their periods when they're pregnant, it's physiologically impossible. However, it's not uncommon for a lot of women to spot on an off. My co-worker just thought she was going through early menopause since she was 39.

I'm actually a pretty small woman, 5'1", about 110lbs now, but when I was pg with my daughter I was under a hundred pounds and I never showed. I wore my regular clothes throughout my pregnancy until about the last 3 weeks, where I switched to some of my looser skirts. Gained 14lbs total, and gave birth to a 7lb baby. When I checked out of the hospital, I was wearing a pair of size 0 jeans. :lol: I"m pretty sure I can't get into a size 0 today. haha.

She was 39, she had a 21 year old daughter too so it wasn't even her first preganancy. She was a tall and very thin woman, she definitely didn't look pregnant. We were at work and she told another gal that she thought she was having an appendicitis attack and her friend drove her to the hospital and lo and behold she delivered a 6.8oz baby boy moments after arriving at the ER. Needless to say, she and her husband were shocked and thrilled! she had absolutely no idea she was PG, none at all.

Were they really thrilled? If their other kid was 21 (ie- had made it to adulthood successfully), maybe they were starting to think about retirement, and they'd had NO time time to get used to the idea of parenting again I would think blank shock would be the overwhelming sentiment.

I've heard of stories where a man will actually slip drugs into the persons food and wait until they are asleep, pull of there clothes, impregnate them and put there clothes back on. Yuck. :angry: