Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Al Gore all talk

robbieb

I have viewed the evidence and I am convinced that global warming is real. Not because of politics or politicians saying but guys like Steven Hawking and Michio Kaku among other highly respected scientists. The only ones who seem to deny this are about a dozen or so rogue researchers. At over 70 million tons of Co2 being pumped into the atmosphere everyday for years our atmosphere is being turned into a venus like planet. Co@ also happens to be Venuses atmosphere.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Celumnaz

• Startraveler

• Never_Hit_Nirvana

I have viewed the evidence and I am convinced that global warming is real. Not because of politics or politicians saying but guys like Steven Hawking and Michio Kaku among other highly respected scientists. The only ones who seem to deny this are about a dozen or so rogue researchers. At over 70 million tons of Co2 being pumped into the atmosphere everyday for years our atmosphere is being turned into a venus like planet. Co@ also happens to be Venuses atmosphere.

i have a great resepct for steven hawkins thanks for caring, i really feel the more of us that bleeive this will assure it gets attention and turn global warming around......

NHN I see what your saying also but the consumer does have quite a say , Where you put your dollars is your voice and i agree with the corps running the show bending the law , hiring staffs to deal with enviormental groups, lobbying the govt...yes i know of it all, but powerless i don't think so i 've seen enough change in my time to know the consumer has quite a bit of weight no other movement shows that better than the organic movement lol...start talking in losses and watch what a corporation does...learn the sytems and have them work for you not be intimidated by them ....create the change we want very often, and another way is creating alternatives the home school movement is jsut one alternative, opting out of the political process is another that is becoming a movement... It seems obvious to me that mother nature has her limits too, certainly you adjust to any circumstance as nature does it best but the soil is still devoid of nutrients ,the rain forest is not able to restore itself , the damgae is serious, etc etc so nature isn't infallable as it seems many think... what it is saying is as a human body does it adapts until it can''t anymore then it dies...nature is really a marcrocosm of the human body (nature) If a healthy body gets ill it can come back but after repeatedly not caring for it will eventually not come back.....

I see what you're saying, but I can't wholly agree with it.

I've looked at the evidence, listened to the people that claim global warming is real, then I remember my history and what basic geology and earth science I was forced to take in college.

There have been temperature changes through out the history of the earth. Most recently a mini-ice age in the Late Middle Ages/ Early Renaissance. No factories belching Co2 into the atmosphere during that time, and yet the temperature shifted and contributed to the spread of plagues and migrations of peoples.

It is estimated that it would take a global temperature increase of 3 degrees to melt the polar ice caps and cause massive coastal flooding.

Since the start of the Industrial Revolution, about 125 years, the global average temperature has gone up one skinny little degree.

In other words, the ice caps melting is a problem 200 years off.

We as a race and a planet and a civilization got a lot more to worry about now that something that might happen 200 years from now. If we let terrorism run free, lunatics get nuclear weapons and society continue to fragment (I'll get to that in a minute) we won't be here as a race in 200 years to care if the seas rise.

Throw in the added thought of previous temperature shifts and it seems no one really knows what causes "Global Warming" or if such a thing really exists.

But damn, doesn't giving people a cause, like saving the planet, get you votes?

So I just do what I can and let Mother Nature handle the rest. She's a tough and mysterious old girl, and the way we're going, she'll still be here long after every hint of mankind is dust.

And Sherri, it is respectable that you feel the need to be an activist, but forgive me if I refrain. I sincerely believe activism, any kind with what good it can cause, now actually does more harm to society than anything. To join a group that labels itself as "enviromentalist", or "feminist", or anything at all is to immediately set yourself up in opposition to another group with diametrically opposed beliefs.

It is almost like joining a cult.

And the more groups proliferate, the more differences are enhanced, sharpened to a cutting edge. And the more differences are enhanced within a society, the more fragmented it becomes.

Think the segregation times in the Southern U.S.. Was there ever a time in this country when a stupid little difference, like the color of skin, mattered more? One group ostracized and dehumanized for a difference. Disgusting.

It still echoes.

And we are only adding differences here: we have groups that lobby for special rights because of their differences, groups that lobby for curtailing the rights of their opponents, activists that lobby to protect the rights of killers.

Even lobbyists that lobby for the rights of frikken lobbyists.

Segregation ended when the Supreme Court decided that being human mattered more than being dark or light. The common elements of a society were shown to matter more than what group someone came from.

Common elements matter more than differences, and anything that creates more differences (and more possibilities for extremists), is just not good for society.

And yes, I am aware that segregation was ended due to activists, they can accomplish some good. But in our current times (Cindy Sheehan, Al Gore, NOW), we just don't build 'em like we used to (Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi).

And one last thing: as someone who was homeschooled for 6-8th grade, let me just give a caveat to any parents thinking of doing so...don't pull the kid out of school if he's already started. I don't mean the middle of the school year, I mean period. If it is his second day of Kindergarten leave him in there for the next 12 years. It is already too late. Yes, schools are crap, but there is more a kid needs to learn from school than what is in the shoddy classrooms.

OK, off the box now.

<Whew>

Edited by Never_Hit_Nirvana

Whew, a well spring has opened...i agree some activist groups use harm as a solution, Waht a sad day when we live in a construct that requires we have to activist for things..LOL...it seems the enviorment isn't your passion , it seems peace is..correct???

I do home school and did take my son out second grade ( entering in) ..We will go into year two of home schooling...i was very wise to have chosen to be a hair stylist....It has put me in contact with so many walks of life, i have alot of tteachers as clients,I am able to homeschool becasue of them, no B.S. i would not of chosen it otherwise i'd of been to insecure...LOL For us it has gone incredible and I also live in a area the is very social everything at our fingertips, i don't know that I'd homeschool in a small town but maybe ....i don't know what happened with you or why or where you live on the planet but our schools are so bad little value can be eeked out of them...There are groups formed for the kids and its very mainstream where i am and supported by the community ...its very fun and great for the kids who want to learn, my son happens to be a kid that is interested in learning and the school couldn't offer him this oppourtunity...We looked into private magnet etc and decided on home school much to my surprise lol....i wil only go till high school i 'd like him to have the high school experience, maybe we'll see how it goes...i have met so many home schooled kids who are so well adjusted, tolerant, intellegent responsible kids.. and the curriculim is open much of it can be geared towards wath the child is interested in.....It was surprising how rich and rewarding this has turned out to be... i had no idea, of course I heard of it but had no reason to explore and I'm glad i did...but this is global warming ....you make great points but I'm a one women activist, i agree on not labeling etc....i'm not intot he political scene at all other than opting out until osmething better comes along..lol Enjoyed your post.....thanks for sharing :D

Edited by Sympa Sheri

he needs to stop complaining about the manbearpig..

Whew, a well spring has opened...i agree some activist groups use harm as a solution, Waht a sad day when we live in a construct that requires we have to activist for things..LOL...it seems the enviorment isn't your passion , it seems peace is..correct???

I do home school and did take my son out second grade ( entering in) ..We will go into year two of home schooling...i was very wise to have chosen to be a hair stylist....It has put me in contact with so many walks of life, i have alot of tteachers as clients,I am able to homeschool becasue of them, no B.S. i would not of chosen it otherwise i'd of been to insecure...LOL For us it has gone incredible and I also live in a area the is very social everything at our fingertips, i don't know that I'd homeschool in a small town but maybe ....i don't know what happened with you or why or where you live on the planet but our schools are so bad little value can be eeked out of them...There are groups formed for the kids and its very mainstream where i am and supported by the community ...its very fun and great for the kids who want to learn, my son happens to be a kid that is interested in learning and the school couldn't offer him this oppourtunity...We looked into private magnet etc and decided on home school much to my surprise lol....i wil only go till high school i 'd like him to have the high school experience, maybe we'll see how it goes...i have met so many home schooled kids who are so well adjusted, tolerant, intellegent responsible kids.. and the curriculim is open much of it can be geared towards wath the child is interested in.....It was surprising how rich and rewarding this has turned out to be... i had no idea, of course I heard of it but had no reason to explore and I'm glad i did...but this is global warming ....you make great points but I'm a one women activist, i agree on not labeling etc....i'm not intot he political scene at all other than opting out until osmething better comes along..lol Enjoyed your post.....thanks for sharing :D

I don't know if I would say peace is exactly my passion. I would like to see the world at peace, but at the same time realize the idea is impossible. Mankind needs conflict; as much as no one wants to admit it, war is a natural part of us, even a necessary thing when talking doesn't work (i.e WWII).

If I had to define my passion, I would have to say it is mankind itself. As much as individuals may infuriate me on a daily basis, I still only ever want the best for my species.

I was homeschooled on 26 acres in the middle of Maine, 5 miles from the nearest town, and almost just as far from the nearest kid my own age (who wasn't the freak that is my little brother). I can see how maybe, maybe homeschooling could work in a more populated area, but the idea, understandably, still doesn't sit well with me.

I don't know if I would say peace is exactly my passion. I would like to see the world at peace, but at the same time realize the idea is impossible. Mankind needs conflict; as much as no one wants to admit it, war is a natural part of us, even a necessary thing when talking doesn't work (i.e WWII).

If I had to define my passion, I would have to say it is mankind itself. As much as individuals may infuriate me on a daily basis, I still only ever want the best for my species.

I was homeschooled on 26 acres in the middle of Maine, 5 miles from the nearest town, and almost just as far from the nearest kid my own age (who wasn't the freak that is my little brother). I can see how maybe, maybe homeschooling could work in a more populated area, but the idea, understandably, still doesn't sit well with me.

i could appreciate that NHN, it sounds as if your social needs were higher than noticed...We know alot more now fortuantely....

Wow, is this the first you have heard of global warming , it has been known since the 60's.....Gore is one of many who have been trying to raise awareness...have you read the book or seen The movie "An Inconvienent Truth????"

There have been temperature changes through out the history of the earth. Most recently a mini-ice age in the Late Middle Ages/ Early Renaissance. No factories belching Co2 into the atmosphere during that time, and yet the temperature shifted and contributed to the spread of plagues and migrations of peoples.

It is estimated that it would take a global temperature increase of 3 degrees to melt the polar ice caps and cause massive coastal flooding.

Since the start of the Industrial Revolution, about 125 years, the global average temperature has gone up one skinny little degree.

In other words, the ice caps melting is a problem 200 years off.

I'm sorry the temperature is rising at almost an exponential rate. And while it is true that it has happened before it is generally accepted that in those instances it happened over thousands of ears, we are doing these things in a couple of hundred.

The creatures that survived the previous ice age had many years to adapt to slowly changing temperatures, we on the other hand have very little time, personally i doubt e will survive.

The mini ice age in the renaiscance was nothing like the scale that the one caused by global warming will be on a huge global scale and could last for thousands of years according to wikipedia it could last on average 12000 years.

That could mean the end of human civilisation as we know it.

Global warming is a huge problem, the USAs refusal to ratify the Kyoto agreement shows how short term their view on te world is.

It is idiocy to allow the companies to increasingly belch more and more toxic fumes into the air which cause global warming, yet Bush and his cronies think it is more important to turn a quick buck the nprotect the safety of our planet for future generations.

I'm sorry the temperature is rising at almost an exponential rate. And while it is true that it has happened before it is generally accepted that in those instances it happened over thousands of ears, we are doing these things in a couple of hundred.

The creatures that survived the previous ice age had many years to adapt to slowly changing temperatures, we on the other hand have very little time, personally i doubt e will survive.

The mini ice age in the renaiscance was nothing like the scale that the one caused by global warming will be on a huge global scale and could last for thousands of years according to wikipedia it could last on average 12000 years.

That could mean the end of human civilisation as we know it.

Global warming is a huge problem, the USAs refusal to ratify the Kyoto agreement shows how short term their view on te world is.

It is idiocy to allow the companies to increasingly belch more and more toxic fumes into the air which cause global warming, yet Bush and his cronies think it is more important to turn a quick buck the nprotect the safety of our planet for future generations.

Very true AR, The US 's refusal with the exception of a few states (one being mine California) who have decided to stand on our The U.S. always reminds me of the really rich kids that "daddy " is gonna take care of, like BS his way out while the kid goes on oblivious...The media is told what they can and can't say and yet so many think this is reallly whats going on. actually many get there ducation from jsut these routes newspapers and the news, i was one of them once wow did i get a wake up call... ...We may very well not survive this....

Edited by Sympa Sheri

Hockey Sticks

I mean that in a couple of ways too, as both a denounciation (my lack of belief) and a reference to the "Hockey Stick" graphic that shows the tremendous exponential temperature rise.

The ones that remind me of those kids are the ones that want govt. to fix these problems instead of doing it themselves. Ride a bike. Don't buy a computer. Get the Govt out of my back pocket so you can feel like you're helping the world but continue to live the way you do while Still complaining. (this is not directed at anyone here, unless you feel like it is, then ok sure it is :P ) For the most part, the market really does work.

Don't buy a computer.
WTF? How about not buying an SUV? If we didn't have the internet, our citizens would be even more stupid and I would probably still be a blind sheep. Edited by Reincarnated

WTF? How about not buying an SUV? If we didn't have the internet, our citizens would be even more stupid and I would probably still be a blind sheep.

i agree, in the information age, we now have acsess to knowledge we once didn't i too feel reading cultural studies and and having the ability to go around the world now is gonna change ALOT...I have a job that comes into contact with all walks of life and those from other countrys i have found out more about us that way then i ever did living here my whole life...Many are , just sound attached to a way of life that works for some but many get left out....have you seen the corporation, or, Why we fight, etc etc or AN inconvienent truth???

I don't drive a SUV and , i walk my talk as do many people i know.....also more and more are pulling their support from the political structure as it is now..Its a huge defense system..trillions are spent on defense and many do without because of it....Many seem to be stuck in what you learned in high school as the only possible scientific advancement in understanding the ecosystem, its only been the last 15 or so years that we have come to understand it ..... The corporations are running the show these days...There is no dumber bunch than Americans..

Why does anyone believe anything a washed up politician says?

See when it comes to Al Gore for example he really doesn't have anything to lose. Retired politicians such as himself can be more open about their views etc without retribution in the political community.

Politicians after they are finished with politics can be more candid. Al Gore speaks out again't global warming because he is not paid off by big oil like current politicians to do nothing.

The ones that remind me of those kids are the ones that want govt. to fix these problems instead of doing it themselves. Ride a bike. Don't buy a computer. Get the Govt out of my back pocket so you can feel like you're helping the world but continue to live the way you do while Still complaining. (this is not directed at anyone here, unless you feel like it is, then ok sure it is :P ) For the most part, the market really does work.

Many people do those things saving water, riding bikes etc, but what difference does my not driving to work make when down the road a concrete factory belches out tons of CO2 everyday.

The truth is that the people CAN'T do anything, the only way to stop this pollution is through legislation as the companies won't waste their money on a long term problem. It is necessary to make proper punishments instead of the jokes that are in place now. Not long ago a Mobile was fined $50,000 for an oil spill. $50,000 for a company such as mobil is similar to a 50c fine to me, negligable. It is not a punishment it is a slap on the wrist.

"Al Gore speaks out again't global warming because he is not paid off by big oil like current politicians to do nothing." So that automatically makes him believable? :rofl:

The truth is that all exists are rudementary computer models of something which may indicate something. The phrase is still good "garbage in, garbage out" regarding computer data. But no one really knows anything more than the most basic indications that some climate is changing somewhere for many possible reasons.

Well guess what? The climate has changed many times before humankind existed. And since humans have been around and before industry existed there have been huge variations in both weather and climate. See the 2 things are different. Weather has little to do with climate. It's simply the basic atmospheric variations every place has always gone through. 3 degrees hotter in Phoenix on an average summer for 4 years is not a climate change. Certainly the mini ice age of 1300-the 1700s had absolutely nothing to do with humans' input. What caused it?

While sediment core samples can point to basic climates from around the world they don't explain in detail why there were possibly 16 seasons of above normal hurricanes in 264- 280 off the east coast of North America. There are no details about what caused strong typhoons in 1270-1281 in the Sea of Japan either. With accurate measuring instruments and a global data network of weather only a few decades old we have no idea what the coldest temperature in Siberia was in 1802 or if a record was set in the Sahara in 1919 by consulting a mercury bulb thermometer- if anyone was there to read one.

How did life react to a massive degradation of the ozone layer 14 million years ago due to huge amount of volcanism? Did climate modification due to volcanic activity contribute to a cooler era around 80,000 years ago? How about 184 million years ago? How do the constant magnetic pole shifts affect climate? Did moderate climate with the end of the last glacial period 11,000 years ago stimulate humankind or was it inevitable in any case?

The only reason anyone is at all interested in any climate variations is simply because of petty self interest. For all the times the planet's climates have undergone change no one was there to bother about it other than extinct animal species and proto-humans who didn't possess the intellect to comprehend it.

But now because this insignificant being who built a career on deceit and unethical practices- as do all politicians- champions a cause we should rally to his ranks? You can bet just as when Gore was an "active" politician he never did anyhting that wasn't self serving you can bet he has a angle on this. If Paris Hilton was the spokesperson for global warming it would be more believable. :w00t:

Steven Hawkins the foremost scientific minds of our time would disagree with you, you're

knowledge is incomplete basically.... :wub:

Mr. Hawkins can disagree all he wants. Doesn't mean he's always right about everything.

Nice post Twitch98.

Wonder how much pollution is created making computers and CD's?

Mr. Hawkins can disagree all he wants. Doesn't mean he's always right about everything.

Nice post Twitch98.

Celum do you know who he is by chance???? Not much, not as much as fossil fuel , but there is no doubt we need alternative energys and are heading in that direction...Isn't that wonderful celum .... :D

Nice post Twitch98.

Do you happen to know who Hawkins is, and what the post he currently holds is, and who the people who once held that post is.

Hawkins opinion is worth a hell of alot more then someone whos stance on it is "George Bush says it isn't a problem"

Hawkins is an incredible Genius and it is a shame that people ignore what he says just because they are uncomfortable with his conclusions.

Everyone's really got to stop this "Hawkins" stuff. It's like saying "Eenstene" or "Feenman".

Course I know who Hawkins is. Have read "A Brief History of Time" a couple times... that's more than once, less than three.

Startrave,

I use the nomenclature those I talk to use. If they want to say Hawkins instead of Hawking I don't want to confuse them, even though it does make me smile. The only time I feel compelled to correct someone is when they say "mute" instead of "moot", or "intensive purposes" instead of "intents and purposes"... cause then I'm not sure they know what ideas they're talking about. I don't have that problem with Sheri or AtlantisRises... they're smart enough... so I go along with them.

AtlantisRises,

I wouldn't ever, and never have voted for Bush. So if you think my stance on it is "Bush says it isn't a problem" or "Oil companies say it isn't a problem" you're demonstrating that you don't understand all sides of the issue very well.

Sheri,

It is wonderful we're getting into alternative fuels! I agree!! :wub:

Computers, CD's, Medical equipment, all kinds of gadgets... so many plastics... so much oil.

As far as Gore goes, the question is: would you entrirely trust someone who, on British TV this morning, stated he'd been campaigning about Global Warming for 30 years? :unsure2::no: