Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Planet X

heapos

I have a theory, wat if the astoroid belt in between earth and mars was a planet until recently and that venus,earth and mars all orbited it as moons? In ancient myths and legends they speak of venus, mars and earth as having a kind of battle depicted as gods and godesses. If the planet X was destroyed somehow ( would like a theory on this ) this would explain a sudden end of the last ice age and how the greeks and egyptians spoke of how they could easily see venus and mars with no optical aids. Its interesting how mars is moving away from the earth! The moon is a recent arrival also nothing is mentioned about the moon until 200 BC or so.

Would like some feed back on this subject as it raises questions!

Rob

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heapos

• ivytheplant

• Waspie_Dwarf

• RUAFK

I have a theory, wat if the astoroid belt in between earth and mars was a planet until recently and that venus,earth and mars all orbited it as moons? In ancient myths and legends they speak of venus, mars and earth as having a kind of battle depicted as gods and godesses. If the planet X was destroyed somehow ( would like a theory on this ) this would explain a sudden end of the last ice age and how the greeks and egyptians spoke of how they could easily see venus and mars with no optical aids. Its interesting how mars is moving away from the earth! The moon is a recent arrival also nothing is mentioned about the moon until 200 BC or so.

Would like some feed back on this subject as it raises questions!

Rob

Firstly there is simply not enough matter in the asteroid belt to make a decent sized planet. For Venus, Mars and Earth to orbit it it would have had to have been huge. In fact there is no where near enough matter to make up a body the size of the moon.

It is not surprising that the Greeks and Romans could see Venus and Mars clearly with out optical aids, you still can. They realised they were different from the stars because they did not remain fixed in relation to each other as stars do (in fact planet comes fron the Greek for wanderer).

The evidence points to the moon having been created by a collision between the proto-Earth and a Mars sized object billions of years ago.

I thought Planet X was the one that's beyond Pluto. That's what I was told in 6th grade anyway.

I thought Planet X was the one that's beyond Pluto. That's what I was told in 6th grade anyway.

Why were you told about that at all in school? :huh:

I think Planet X is supposed to have an elliptical orbit that extends beyond Pluto at its furthest point, but then reaches the same distance as Earth is from the Sun.

Why were you told about that at all in school? :huh:

Because it had already been theorized, even back in 6th grade.

And besides, I was grateful to get any tidbit of science from that school.

Edited by ivytheplant

the earth orbiting a jupiter sized planet plus a moon orbiting earth...its like the planet x ur theorizing is a mini star. although the moon would probably get sucked in by the planet :S.

Firstly there is simply not enough matter in the asteroid belt to make a decent sized planet. For Venus, Mars and Earth to orbit it it would have had to have been huge. In fact there is no where near enough matter to make up a body the size of the moon.

It is not surprising that the Greeks and Romans could see Venus and Mars clearly with out optical aids, you still can. They realised they were different from the stars because they did not remain fixed in relation to each other as stars do (in fact planet comes fron the Greek for wanderer).

The evidence points to the moon having been created by a collision between the proto-Earth and a Mars sized object billions of years ago.

the truth is they dont know how much matter there is in the asteroid belt, they think that a jupiter sized body my have existed there. explain why there was no mention of the moon before 200 BC or so and why the moon is moving away from the earth?

The reason the moon is moving away is explained in this thread; that thread also shows the moon's influence going back millions of years and affecting cephalopod growth.

But if it's human records you want, records of eclipses go back to Babylonian times.