Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Youth And God...

ramster83

So we look at the youth around us...and one thing ive noticed is many are ashamed. The "believers" of the Youth are too embaressed to talk about their religion or to even utter the word God. The Youth is worshipping the wrong kind of idols (think...Paris Hilton) and living is more and more about them...the youth of today is getting more materialistic and self centred to the point where God is simply not cool anymore.

Is it peer pressure? Are they afraid of being called "Choir Boys" or "Church Goers"? Who knows but im wondering what happened to the day where youth felt no shame of believing in God...The declining numbers of believers is simply based on kids that just "dont care" to believe in God...they cant be bothered.

I personally think one is cooler when they can be true to themselves and proudly state that they believe in and love God and not care about what the person next to them will say or think....theres a lot of pressure on youth nowadays and the young worry about what others will think of them to the point where they'd drop God just to be part of the "cool" crowd.

What do you think? Is believing in God simply not a cool thing anymore? Do you think religion is something the young should hide from others and themselves?

Our kids have become "too cool" for God - my advice is if you believe dont be ashamed of it...theres no need in impressing people and pretending to be someone you are not.

I've seen friends do it - and its disappointing to say the least...grow a backbone and if asked tell them you believe and dont be afraid of it!

Do you agree or disagree? Numbers of "Believers" in God (coming from our youth) are declining because of their worrying of opinions of fellow youth? Or the numbers are falling because they just cant be bothered for God anymore?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Beckys_Mom

• starlitkate

• ramster83

Ummm what are you talking about??? <_< It may be that way where you live but there are plenty of youth Christians. I see them everyday. There are youth groups for a reason, the Christian Rock/Christian Alternitive in music is rising due to the rising of Christian Alt/rock singers and bands. Christian Youth is just as popular now as it was 10 yrs. when Jars of Clay hit it big.

What does it mean to be young and religious anyway? Kids that are young enough and impressionable enough to be turned off from a religion (of their parents' choosing, one assumes) by peer pressure certainly aren't old or mature enough to figure out what they believe anyhow.

Edited by Startraveler

So we look at the youth around us...and one thing ive noticed is many are ashamed. The "believers" of the Youth are too embaressed to talk about their religion or to even utter the word God. The Youth is worshipping the wrong kind of idols (think...Paris Hilton) and living is more and more about them...the youth of today is getting more materialistic and self centred to the point where God is simply not cool anymore.

Is it peer pressure? Are they afraid of being called "Choir Boys" or "Church Goers"? Who knows but im wondering what happened to the day where youth felt no shame of believing in God...The declining numbers of believers is simply based on kids that just "dont care" to believe in God...they cant be bothered.

I personally think one is cooler when they can be true to themselves and proudly state that they believe in and love God and not care about what the person next to them will say or think....theres a lot of pressure on youth nowadays and the young worry about what others will think of them to the point where they'd drop God just to be part of the "cool" crowd.

What do you think? Is believing in God simply not a cool thing anymore? Do you think religion is something the young should hide from others and themselves?

Our kids have become "too cool" for God - my advice is if you believe dont be ashamed of it...theres no need in impressing people and pretending to be someone you are not.

I've seen friends do it - and its disappointing to say the least...grow a backbone and if asked tell them you believe and dont be afraid of it!

Do you agree or disagree? Numbers of "Believers" in God (coming from our youth) are declining because of their worrying of opinions of fellow youth? Or the numbers are falling because they just cant be bothered for God anymore?

Things are different where I live. You can't go anywhere in town without tripping over some teenaged meatball in a "Got Jesus?" t-shirt.

I avoid most places in town because of this.

Example: My dad and I are started a used car lot back in April (I didn't really want to be a used car salesman, I'm over-qualified: too honest, but I did want to do something with my old man so here I be) and we financed a car to a young guy who is all about Jesus. Nice guy...in small doses (IMHO his girlfriend is wasted on Jesus, too hot to keep it like that). He comes by every month to make his payment and hangs out for a while. Last month, he said he was going to Mexico.

I responded with something along the lines of: "Cool! My wife and I are taking a cruise to Mexico next year. Get drunk, gamble, naked top deck, whole nine yards."

He actually blushed -- haven't seen that on a human being in a while -- and said, "I'm going on a missionary trip."

I felt so bad for the guy. Trip to Mexico and gonna spend it preaching to Catholics. :rolleyes:

So fear not, ramster, religious youth are alive and well and as god-awful annoying as ever in my part of the world.

And Christian Rock. There's a oxy moron if there ever was one. I would rather listen to the sound effect track of the girl's bathroom scene in "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" for eternity than tolerate a second of "Christian" pop music.

And good point star. I wonder how many of these gullible impressionable youth will wake up before they hit their 30s? Mucho, mucho, in all hope and probability.

I'm so reclusive, the only religious influence I've had in my life was my grandma(Catholic, but nice lady regardless.) I don't have any friends (my fault) so I had nobody to "sway" me to non-belief. I decided for myself that I don't believe in god. "Peer pressure" obviously had nothing to do with it. :rofl:

It is not that young people are rejecting God; they are just rejecting the idocy of Christianity. Christians don't own God. They just think they do.

ya dude, idk where you live,but here people are ashamed to admit atheism

^ :lol: And Gideon-Christians don't claim to own God anymore than any other religion claims they're god is real. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of.

Edited by starlitkate

That was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of.

Perhaps but it is still true.

^ :lol: And Gideon-Christians don't claim to own God anymore than any other religion claims they're god is real. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of.

The new testament doesn't quote you-know-who as saying "No-one comes to the Father except through me?"

Sorry, my stupid mistake.

Strangely, for all the Christian denial, the Christian religion has been shrinking worldwide for the last 3 or 4 decades and is shrinking by 1% a year in the USA. A fact that many of the Chruches are worried about and address openly in their denominational publications! I say "Good Riddance!" Maybe the next religion will be a gentle religion. :yes:

what are you talking about? i know plenty of young kids who believe in god, teenagers too, now they might not be the ebst Xians in the world, but i see them going to church almost every week and i know they have read the holy bible. now they might not go around broadcasting that they believe in god, but i dont know any one who does that. if someone asks them thought they would say yes. maybe its different where your from, i dunno but around here there are plenty of believers

My nephew does not believe in god he is 9 when i asked him why he did not he replied.

Only my mom and dad are aloud to tell me what to do not some stranger.

wierd, everywhere I've been, long as I've known, it's Never been "cool"... purely my anectdotal experience

What are you talking about?? Where I come from there are lots of young kids and teenagers follow God...

Just because people like -- Brad Pitt...or Angelina Jolie...dont mean they see them as some kind of God LMAO

I think George Clooney is hot..aand I love all his movies..I own them all too..I would love to meet him...but I dont worship him..there is a difference :w00t:

I think George Clooney is hot..aand I love all his movies..I own them all too

I shall pray for you :tu: ...........................lol :lol:

i dont think the entire youth of today is turning their back on god just half and half really.

I have my lil Becky baptized a christian ...but if she wants to give it all up as she gets older and understands it all...then I WONT stop her....after all her mom doesnt belong to any religious faith..so I cant make her stay or go..she has a mind of her own :D

I shall pray for you ...........................lol :lol: <--ohh noo not that line too...when people write that..it just gets up your nose...its as if they are looking down on you... :innocent:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I have my lil Becky baptized a christian ...but if she wants to give it all up as she gets older and understands it all...then I WONT stop her....after all her mom doesnt belong to any religious faith..so I cant make her stay or go..she has a mind of her own :D

I shall pray for you ...........................lol :lol: <--ohh noo not that line too...when people write that..it just gets up your nose...its as if they are looking down on you... :innocent:

I had my two babtized also and i dont believe in it. But i figured i would get it done then leave them the choice afterwards to either stay with it or choose a different path. I had to put up a really big fight just to get them babtized because the church would not do it because i did not believe in god. They refused and i had to argue the fact that because i did not think the way they thought then they had take on a selfish way of thinking.

I had my two babtized also and i dont believe in it. But i figured i would get it done then leave them the choice afterwards to either stay with it or choose a different path. I had to put up a really big fight just to get them babtized because the church would not do it because i did not believe in god. They refused and i had to argue the fact that because i did not think the way they thought then they had take on a selfish way of thinking.

That is selfish of them.......................selfish of them to ignore the fact that..................you are allowing your 2 lil ones to LEARN about god and make up their own minds.....thats what I am doing with becky...letting her learn what i once learnt..and let her descide

just hope she dont come home from Sunday School and ask me any bible questions...ohh noo I can see it now...."Mommy...who was Adam & Eve?" ...I would bite my tongue and say..................."Go ask your dad...cuz mommy forgets" :ph34r: <--sugar coated LOL but I couldnt tell her what I really think...I dont feel thats right...i want her to figure it out herself :yes:

Thats very interesting most people dont seem to have this in their neck of the woods...Im in Sydney so maybe its like that here? Yet what im witnessing is not people that dont believe in a God...but cant be bothered because their sidetracked into other things...or they are just too ashamed to talk about God...Particularly males...I dont know maybe things are different in the USA? Yet the numbers of Believers in a God in Australia - according to statistics is dropping...rather quickly too...Yet i think many of these people either Cant be bothered to believe in God or dont think its a cool thing to get into (the mid to late teens in particular).

^The Sydney diocese is actually one of the few areas in the (Western) world where Christianity (well, church attendance) is on the rise. Maybe we're doing something right :D

That said, it's my experience with teenagers that they'll do whatever their friends are doing. In order to be "cool", one has to fit in with their sub-culture. It's a sad fact that teenagers form cliques very easily, and if you don't fit in to that clique, you're on the outer, ridiculed and abused. To be different as a teenager is very tough, and often you are ridiculed if you are different. So people hide who they are and just fit in.

Where we are in Sydney, Ram, for a God-believer to stand up to their friends and face ridicule is hard. Elsewhere in the world, things may be opposite. The majority might be Christian, in which case it would be very hard to admit that you are not Christian.

Yes it may not be rising but I do know of Australia to have they're beautiful Catholic churches and such. There are still alot of Christians and God beleiving people in Australia.

Thats very interesting most people dont seem to have this in their neck of the woods...Im in Sydney so maybe its like that here? Yet what im witnessing is not people that dont believe in a God...but cant be bothered because their sidetracked into other things...or they are just too ashamed to talk about God...Particularly males...I dont know maybe things are different in the USA? Yet the numbers of Believers in a God in Australia - according to statistics is dropping...rather quickly too...Yet i think many of these people either Cant be bothered to believe in God or dont think its a cool thing to get into (the mid to late teens in particular).

I'm not sure where you are, but I was always taught never to discuss politics or religion in mixed company.

Do you often go around asking people their religious opinions?

In RL, I would only discuss the subject of religion with very close friends or family. And even then, I would hold back my full opinion. To me, spirituality is such a personal experience, that one cannot really discuss it with another.

I do it here because we all (or most of us) know that we will hear differnet and sometimes opposite thoughts and beliefs.

As to the comment made by somebody about the "Christians don't own god" comment, with the reply "... thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard"

I can only say: you are dead wrong. Just the other day I had a christian on these boards tell me "your god doesn't exist".

I'm not sure where you are, but I was always taught never to discuss politics or religion in mixed company. Do you often go around asking people their religious opinions?

No im not like that at all i dont go around asking people what religion they are...Yet i witness people holding back...I think given the right people are speaking - religion can be discussed wonderfully but thats a whole other story. The young arent very keen on talking about God - and i know God is personal but if asked...then dont be ashamed....It doesnt matter what religion you are but if you are ashamed of it - then you are insecure about it..Thats what happens when the youth worry so much about other peoples opinions and thoughts on them that they'd throw something they once deemed important in their lives (God) to go hang with the cool kids. For example if someone doesnt want to do , say or eat something because of their religion - they are ashamed to say "I cant eat pork because im muslim" or "I cant go out today, cause i got to go to church". Ive seen mates hold back on going out with other friends on Sunday cause they go to church but when challenged and asked WHY WHY WHY they cant go out- he says "umm...ive just got stuff to do with family" - and ive seen muslim mates say (when pressured to eat ham) "umm...naaah thats okay- i dont really like the flavour" pretending theyve had it before- people are often misunderstood...If people are holding back and are so insecure about judgements it begins to impact the believer on the thought of "well no one else around me is doing this...why should i?".

Edited by ramster83

JMPD you know I'm gonna read this so please don't beat around the bush and just say my name. That may be so and I'm sorry someone said that to you-but not all God beleiving people would say that. Like me for instance, I know what the bible teaches me that noother God exsist and I'm gonna go by that, but I'm certainly not gonna flame it in your face and I'm not gonna tell you that what you beleive in is wrong. The bible tells me no other God exsist but him and so I beleive that BUT I won't sit and disregard you or your beleifs cuz I find it very disrespectful. I think there is a way to say everything in a nice manner without being cruel to another ones beleifs.