Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Speaking unknown languages in my sleep

edweirdo

Recently my new partner said to me that i talk a lot in my sleep. She explained to me that it was not in English. I did not believe her, so she recorded me, at least three times per night i say sentences in different languages which i do not understand, which came as a massive shock. I have recorded five evenings of my sleep, hours and hours of snoring (to my shame) and now feel safe in saying that what you read above is true. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of anything similar???

Click "edweirdo" below to hear a recording

edweirdo

This happened to me as well on several occasions. Sometimes I speak English or babble that my brother has noticed. I think maybe I had an active day and now speaking through my sleep.

Another theory which thinks our DNA may carry some memories of our ancestors. Maybe that explains this?

Uhhh, no. As some of these languages have changed after we branched apart.

What sounds like a foreign language is just actually babble. Your mind links it to a language. Same with stroke patients with a 'foreign' accent. The accent does not resemble any other nationality, but your mind links it to the closest one.

Is it possible that maybe they're talking in what just sounds like other languages? I know half the time when someone's talking in their sleep it's hard to distinguish perfect English much less a language no one else speaks.

I agree. Spontaneously I can speak an interesting form of glossolalia. I've never tried to make up words for this language, they simply come out and quite often it seems as though some words repeat and that I am unconciously following a grammatical structure. It's an interesting ability. I believe everyone can do it, it's not too difficult, for myself at least.

Recording oneself at night sounds like an interesting experiment, I've contemplated it before. I think I'll try it and see what, if anything, turns up.

I agree that it may just sound like other languages. Like pareidollia - when you see faces in meaningless patterns... In this case you hear languages in meaningless sounds.

Remember "Murder in Morgue street" (or something like that) by Poe, where people of different nationalities mistook orangutan's babble for languages they couldn't understand.

Uhhh, no. As some of these languages have changed after we branched apart.

What sounds like a foreign language is just actually babble. Your mind links it to a language. Same with stroke patients with a 'foreign' accent. The accent does not resemble any other nationality, but your mind links it to the closest one.

I agree. Spontaneously I can speak an interesting form of glossolalia. I've never tried to make up words for this language, they simply come out and quite often it seems as though some words repeat and that I am unconciously following a grammatical structure. It's an interesting ability. I believe everyone can do it, it's not too difficult, for myself at least.

Recording oneself at night sounds like an interesting experiment, I've contemplated it before. I think I'll try it and see what, if anything, turns up.

I agree that it may just sound like other languages. Like pareidollia - when you see faces in meaningless patterns... In this case you hear languages in meaningless sounds.

Remember "Murder in Morgue street" (or something like that) by Poe, where people of different nationalities mistook orangutan's babble for languages they couldn't understand.

:yes: I think we solved the problem :tu:

• 4 years later...

Another theory which thinks our DNA may carry some memories of our ancestors. Maybe that explains this?

hello i have the same problems but there's a difference...i see images/i speeak languages(latin greek france arab)i know they are only dreams but it's a little scary...since i hit my head i have those dreams,i wake up in the middle of the night because of those dreams

Edited by bogdan639

I have a very sweet, and "proper Englishman" stepfather, that my mom married when I was in my late 20's. He has talked in Russian, and other languages in his sleep, according to my mom. She found out that he has Russian family, as well as the English. He looked into it, and found out that there is something about us retaining "Cell Memories" from our ancestors. I am not completely sure what this means, but I guess we can have memories stored in our actual cells in our body, from the generations of family before us. We can have dreams and things that happen in with our subconsiousness because of it? Maybe someone else knows more about this?

Assassin's greed's storyline is based off it, it's about a machine that accesses the main character's ancestor cell memories, interesting.

I talk alot in my sleep. I also make weird noises. I have freaked my husband out so many times lol. he said i have made noises like that scary chick from the movie the grudge :P I moan a lot too and I say a lot of messed up stuff. My husband even told me he thought i was possessed in my sleep cause i sounded so demonic lmao

if it's any sort of middle east arabic languages i could know it

but the link didn't work .. too bad

Recently my new partner said to me that i talk a lot in my sleep. She explained to me that it was not in English. I did not believe her, so she recorded me, at least three times per night i say sentences in different languages which i do not understand, which came as a massive shock. I have recorded five evenings of my sleep, hours and hours of snoring (to my shame) and now feel safe in saying that what you read above is true. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of anything similar???

<a href="http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9FAAA86F16DF3284" target="_blank">edweirdo</a>

Est-ce que tu comprends se que je dis? Non? Alright, you don't speak French at all, so we can rule out that language. :lol:

Btw your link isn't working.

Edited by Der Ketzer

• 1 year later...

hey guys, i'm just trying to figure out what happened last night honestly. i had my friend come over and she ended up staying the night, she said that she woke up to me speaking in a different language and that i was also 'clicking', which i'm not sure if that was like..another form of communication, i'm not really sure. either way, she said she checked what time it was and, ironically, it was 3:30am. i was asleep during this whole thing, if she didn't tell me this had happened, i definately would never have known. not saying that the time as anything to do with it, but that's what creeped me out. i'm not really a religious person, and i haven't been to a foreign country ever; infact i've never been out of the united states. Jess (the friend) said that she didn't recognize the language and was super creeped out. so if you could help me out on this that would be great!

the link is gone, so couldn't listen. I had a friend, Sandy, who spontaneously started speaking a foreign language. At first we thought it was glossolalia, gibberish, but it did have a rhythm to it. It got so bad that she never knew when she opened her mouth whether she was going to speak English or this other thing; she initially had not control over it, which was a problem since she worked in an attorney's office. She saw a psychiatrist a couple of times who was no help. I finally got in touch with a priest in the Ifa (yoruba) tradition, who called me, then Sandy. It turned out Sandy was speaking Yoruba, which is a language the priest was familiar with, but my friend was not. My friend got the help she needed to control it, and ended up being initiated into the Ifa tradition. While it was all crazy for a while, I still smile when I picture her with her jaws clamped together, doing her best to keep her mouth closed, then the horrified look on her face when she finally did open her mouth speaking in a foreign language, and having no idea what she was saying. Some of her friends, myself included, I'm sorry to say, did our best to get her to talk, because it was so interesting to watch & hear. Sandy is African American, so maybe it was a cellular memory thing, but the Baptist in her was pretty sure it was the work of the devil! Sandy had some serous, life threatening health problems, and the rigid discipline of being an initiate may have saved her life.

• Like 1

Funny, I dreamt a few nights ago that I was speaking a foreign language ^_^ . I wonder if I had an audience, would they say I spoke gibberish in my sleep? I actually knew I was speaking "Macedonian" because it's a language that I can make out a few words of here and there - but I was pretty danged fluid in my conversation with the others in my dream which was kind of weird - like it was my mother tongue, which it definitely is not. When I woke up I tried to remember the words as spoken in the dream - thought I could verify I was actually talking the language and not imagining I was talking it if you get my drift, but the linguistics melted away like butter, oh well.

It seems to me that living in the multicultural world we do, many of us would have a "subconscious" wondering about the world as seen through a foreigners eyes and thoughts. In that light I think dreaming of being someone else, with an entirely different culture and language would happen to a great many of us, although we would not all or always remember doing so.

As to Beany's friend Sandy. Wow, poor girl. Given that was happening in her waking state I'm not clear if it's the same line of phenomena. Glad she found her way through it all.

Well, it's that speaking in tongues thing, whether awake or asleep. As to why or how it happens, it's another one of those mysteries, I guess. From these posts, it sounds like it happens more often than I was aware of. We were lucky with Sandy that we found someone who was familiar with the language and could identify it. I wonder how often the "glossolalia" really is a language and just gibberish.

edweirdo

Silly question : Do you watch movies with characters speaking in other languages at all? If so, then could it be possible that your unconscious brain is just trying to repeat what it heard in a movie and getting it garbled?

edweirdo

This download link is invalid and there is no file associated with it.

Please contact the sender directly to obtain the correct link.

This download link is invalid and there is no file associated with it.

Please contact the sender directly to obtain the correct link.

lol Abramelin, the link was posted in 2006. Yeah, I know opening old threads can cause so much confusion :huh:.

Word to members, if you have a current story, please try to open a new topic to discuss to avoid this scenario, in the meantime Abramelin is waiting, waiting, patiently waiting :P

• 1 year later...

I have spoken in unknown languages while asleep or nearly asleep for much of my adult life. I am often awake enough to be aware of what's happening. I even sometimes sing in these languages! I have no idea what they are if anything. I am not just babbling. My mouth makes sounds I am not accustomed to, and there is such powerful purpose in whatever I'm saying when I speak. I cannot stop the flow of speech sometimes.

The languages often sound aboriginal, like maybe Native American. But could be something else too. I have attempted to record myself recently, but strangely, my recorder, which has never malfunctioned did not work the three times I tried. I have a great curiosity about this, and wonder what in the world I'm saying and in what language.

• 7 months later...

I don't know if I talk during my sleep but sometimes I will wake from my sleep and involuntarily speak a large cluster of "words" that have absolutely no meaning to me.

More than likely you're just speaking gibberish or maybe something your brain (the subconscious part) remembers from some foreign movie or a clip of a translation from a regular movie. It seems unlikely you'd wake up speaking Native American.

• Like 2

I have seen people talk in fragments or in gibberish when a sleep or just woke up

• Like 1

edweirdo

Download link is invalid.
  • Like 2

Could be because this thread is 8 years old :P

yes that was my point
  • Like 2