Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WHY?

jahiri

what experience or whatever other reason do believers believe what they do and why are skeptics skeptical?

I currently sit on the fence and are niether skeptical or believer so i will not judge any comments comptemtually.

Is it really paranormal things which are the truth bwehind mysteries.

Or is it just lack of knowlage or key information that is made up for by the paranormal.

whichever you believe and why tell me.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Imaginary Friend

• __Kratos__

• exeller

I think it's a condition of archetype. We're born into a world of believers. That take our malleable mentality and form it accordingly. We're shown what it is to be sikh, hindu, muslim,mormon, etc...And that's what we understand as real. Just as we accept the instruction from the time we're old enough to mimic those around us, to learn all other behaviors.

I think just because we put a face on what we imagine is responsible for all this life, doesn't mean it cares or is even remotely close to "looking" like that. And yet, witness the appearance humans make, claiming it's possible to not only know what that is, but to be so confident in that affirmation as to murder other people that see it their own way. And then imagine calling the motive for such behavior, holy. Why, indeed.

user posted image

Raised Roman Catholic, was taught some off center things, made to believe more then what I was, I got "exposed" to Wicca and I was shocked to my roots. Surely, there was no other religion or God! As a 5th grader it is amazely hard to get Wiccan books from a Christian town without a permission slip from your parents. <_< I read though in the library, met some older people that were close to high school or in high school and just learned more about the world around me. My sheltered short lived childhood believes were a lie. There IS more out there!

Today, I'm against the religions only because of the hate they breed and teach. Ignorance isn't bliss nor is it right to believe in.

This is why I am an agnostic atheist or free thinker... I do believe there is more out there, I do not believe silly people claming they know it all and the plans of what happens.

Effectiveness, value and usefulness, is the way i approach things..If i say i want to see unity in all of life and honor diversity and embrace all peoples , if i say i want to live with a core concept of DO NO Harm, religon will not get me too that.... If i say i want to be interdependent, congurent, viable, valubale part of it all reliogn is not the path for me, i will be pointed in the opposite direction....You have to know who you want to be..if i say i want to be responsible for myself, religion will teach me to be dependent on faith.....

I look at beleif systems like relationships I am complete as i am and my philosophy is complete as it is and together we unite and enhance the other, we do not need each other and we do not thrive on fear and negativity, becasue it doesn't speak the highest truth of who we are.....

The beleifs i choose will be my behavior eventually, i use great care and know my subject inside out upside down sideways etc etc......

I'll tell you why. Cuz it doesn't make sense that this is the only life we go through. It's stupid to think the only life is the physical life. It's silly to think all is physical. It seems sane to think that we slowly work our way on to another life. Who knows. Maybe in our first life we were a plant, in our second an animal, in our third a human, in our fourth a spiritual being. There is likely another life beyond afterlife, but that's a mystery.

Edited by exe11er

It's all conjecture that there is anything guiding this life outside ourselves, or there is anything awaiting after it's over, in the first place.

What's insane, as you like to call it, is that people believe killing viable human life now because they accept what they're told about an invisible force compelling the action because human flesh must act at it's behest. And that all that comply to that will will be rewarded for it in a theoretical after life. (like religious campaigns enacted to spread the word, aquire territories and slave labor, etc...)

That is the insanity! Especially when the banner that goes before the blood letting is a herald to an invisible , never seen spirit we're told "loves us". (Loves to order us to slaughter people just like us. Well, not just like us save that they're human like us. Otherwise they die because they're not approved to live by that compelling invisible blood monger that utilizes human agents to exact sadism.) What is truly psychotic is that anyone would imagine living in the presence of that quality (or lack thereof) of compelling spirit, is something to aspire to. And all the while we think it's a sense of morality that makes us behave so. A communal accord in our behaviors that please that blood thirsty evil compelling demon we call divine!

God is dead, so said Nietzsche. All believers have the power to make that so if they just stop believing in something that has a history of killing us for being as we were created! If we stop living in fear of complying to the commandments that otherwise will damn us to hell for eternity. Fear! That's what compells every mainstream believer into clinging to that idea of an invisible sky father. Fear! Not love. It's tantamount to the worst case scenario of spousal abuse. "I love him", because he's nice when I obey! :wacko:

what experience or whatever other reason do believers believe what they do and why are skeptics skeptical?

I currently sit on the fence and are niether skeptical or believer so i will not judge any comments comptemtually.

Or is it just lack of knowlage or key information that is made up for by the paranormal.

Gut feeling

everything is a beleif system, from science to mathematics to relgion ect...someone made them up, you reach a place where you understand that politics is a system of beleifs not to be taken literal not to define you at the exclusion of all else,(dogmas are created that way) not a truth of the way things are but just a perspective a way to look at something yet most of the current systems we have are influenced by religion including science........There is a saying be of this world but not in it. ) don't get caustght up in the illusion) live your life awake......... Take what is valuable and workable from all beleif systems and leave what isn't......You choose what you beleive, be it passed on knowledge which is the most popular way, or through gathering yourself...the problem is many forget literaly they are adopting a beleif system and begin to think it is real, certainly some schools of thought will be more appealing than others but to profess this is it, this is truth is absurd, at best beleif systems are tools to understand or not understand things tools for control look for the value in a system, what is its intent, what will you become ... does it have merit? not all systems will fit and that is okay too........ :D

Gut feeling

I think that's what it boils down to...a gut feeling. Skeptics and believers alike know what is right for them. For many, religion brings peace and order to their lives, and helps to create strong, loving families and communities...I have personally seen it and have been apart of it. Though I am not a 'believer' of what they believe, I am quite comfortable being around others who 'believe'...because they are not much different than I, in the sense that they go through the same joys and struggles of life. Sure there are the radical fruitcakes on all sides. There are the radical religious who will not only take every word of their books literally, but even act out the scriptures. We see this in radical Islam today. And there are also the radical non believers who will not stop their desire to destroy all faiths, because they see them as controlling. Yet the radical non believer is trying to control the situation. I feel pity for those who have had bad experiences growing up with religion, they often carry that anger and pain and become cynical towards all religions, not capable of seeing the good religion has done for many. I also feel pity for the religious who think there is no other way to be spiritually fulfilled than their way...their closed-mindedness towards any differing view. For me, I find spiritual peace through the understanding that I don't know the ultimate reality of our existence...that thought humbles me. Though I try to grasp that, I do realize that it starts with self. I must live my life the best way I know how to, and be an example through my actions. Whether you're religious or not, it is your actions that ultimately matter, not your beliefs necessarily.

Well , i think that people tend to get abit carried away with alot of things , and there are some great theory's out there , i do look at myself as a pessimisist lol! but people think wat people want to think , they think wat they are basically told to think buy there surroundings , they way a person's mind tends to work , will have something to do with the enviroment they grow up in , positive/negative enviroment towards EG paranormal activity , one can have a wide open mind to all this , or one can think "that everything is simple and has a logical simple answer to the problem , but these people are of course blind to the way of the world and are generally annoying invalids i would classify as my parents who really dont know sh** from a stick ....

cheers......sky ^^ :D

I think it's a condition of archetype. We're born into a world of believers. That take our malleable mentality and form it accordingly. We're shown what it is to be sikh, hindu, muslim,mormon, etc...And that's what we understand as real. Just as we accept the instruction from the time we're old enough to mimic those around us, to learn all other behaviors.

Agreed...just like, why is the sky blue? Because that's what we were taught from birth - and if someone were to argue that it was red, most of us would argue. IMO, the trick is to keep an open mind and realize that the sky isn't blue for everyone, and that for some, there is no sky at all. Once you're old enough to make decisions on your own, it's up to you to research all available information or theories, and decide what makes the most sense to you. Some people will have experiences that will push them one way or the other, and some never do. There's no one single experience that applies for everyone, to "make them a believer" or otherwise, it's all just a matter of each person's personal experience and influences.