Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Car Fell Through My Bedroom Ceiling

Saru

Here's a rather bizarre report in which a couple who were asleep in bed were awakened when a car fell through their bedroom ceiling.  :-/

-

DERRY, N.H. - Joanne and Mahlon Donovan were sound asleep when they were joined by a car that fell through their roof right over their bed. " We should be dead,'' Joanne Donovan, 63, said after the intrusion early Easter Sunday morning. She and her husband suffered only minor injuries.

The speeding car veered through a neighbor's yard at about 3 a.m., hit a knoll and vaulted into the air, soaring over two cars, a pickup truck and telephone wires before crashing down onto the Donovans' home. Police estimated it was airborne for about 150 feet.

``I woke up and I was buried up to my head with Sheetrock and other stuff that came down from the house,'' said Mahlon ``Spud'' Donovan, 65. ``There was this humongous explosion, and then the thing was right in front of my face. I could feel the heat from the exhaust system coming through the sheets.''

The crash destroyed three bedrooms and knocked part of the house off its foundation. In addition, crews had to knock down part of a wall to drag the car out. The driver, Julie Sarbanis, 20, was not seriously hurt. She was charged with drunken driving.

The car came to rest about a foot above the bed, with one end supported by a bedroom dresser.

``If not for the bureau, the people in the bed would have been crushed,'' said police Lt. John Muise. Mrs. Donovan said a statue of the Virgin Mary standing on the dresser ``helped create a miracle.''

Her husband, a retired state police officer, has seen other houses hit by cars, but nothing like this. ``I thought it was an airplane,'' he said Tuesday on NBC's ``Today'' show.

In spite of everything, Mrs. Donovan slept through the crash. He said he woke her up and ``told her we had company.'' ``Isn't that amazing?,'' Mrs. Donovan said Tuesday. ``And I'm not a heavy sleeper, either.''

Talk about a nightmare coming true!  I can't believe the woman slept through all that!  :s9

I guess you could say 'feng shui' was working well for that couple!  ;D

ok was the car 'Chitty Chitty bang bang??? :s2

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't anyone think its a little odd for a car to "fly" 150 feet through the air and through the ceiling of someone's house in a suburban area?  ???

The kind of speed you would have to be driving at would have to be fairly high - wonder what that girl was on  ::)

Lucky for everyone involved, it wasn't a "Chitty whoosh bang KABOOM"  :s9

RuiD.

• 4 weeks later...
i wonder if whoever drove that car was drunk.

The driver, Julie Sarbanis, 20, was not seriously hurt. She was charged with drunken driving.

I'm sure that by your age, you should be capable of reading articles, rather than briefly glimpsing at them, before looking for answers which have clearly been stated in the text.  ::)

• 1 month later...

Think of it Dakota.A car flying through the air.The person driving it was either crazy of drunk.Don't you think?

Think of it Ghostboo. If you had read the whole article, you would've noticed that the text stated that the driver of the veichle was charged with drunk driving. In your post about my first one, you said,

i wonder if whoever drove that car was drunk.

Then, I indicated that the article contained that information, and now you're repeating what I said (differently) as if I hadn't read the article. What's up?   ???

• 15 years later...

I know this thread is from 16 years ago, but I was at my grandmother's house a couple years back and asked to check out an old VCR tape she had.  Turns out that this is my grandmother, and I remember the exact house that the car went through the roof and the address.  Unfortunately, she doesn't live there any more, but she will tell you how crazy it was when it happened.  Another interesting detail is that she got on the Today Show on NBC, and was interviewed by none other than Matt Lauer. 

• Like 1