Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Planets named with Greek gods names?

The Greek

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Greek

• Wookie McFly

• Pax Unum

• GreyWeather

Top Posters In This Topic

It google time.

Mars is the ROMAN god of war :tu: Not all are greek

Edited by frogfish

Why Planets named with Greek gods names ?

Probably for three reasons, in this order: people worship up, they like homages, and they hesitate to break tradition.

You'll technically only find one planet named after a Greek god, though.

Edited by Startraveler

because they aren't?, this is a trick question, right? the planets names are from the Latin...

user posted image

Edited by Pax Unum

mars is greek god aris in latin

romans named all greek words in latin also the modern english

they are all from greek mythology not roman

What? Mars is Roman God of War big guy...

I guess I can see where you are going with that one, but Yahweh, Allah, and iahovah are all the same thing.

In reality, the planets are named after the Roman gods, not the greek. It doesn't matter where the Romans got the God concept, just that we use latin as the base for the planets, not Greek. Thus they are not named after greek gods. (Sorry to be redundant, but I think it would get lost otherwise)...

(the moon isn't a planet btw...)

they are all from greek mythology not roman

No, they're not.

i want proofs.how can you say that ?The planets are named in latin but the gods are Greek dont ever saw Xena or Hercules they say Aris the god of war Look into a web page and tell me then

i want proofs.how can you say that ?The planets are named in latin but the gods are Greek dont ever saw Xena or Hercules they say Aris the god of war Look into a web page and tell me then

I hope you aren't getting all your history knowledge, from Xena and Hercules...

i bring that example to you american that your only way to learn is from Tv.try reading Plato sokratis and then tell me about history and if you want to know the ceramics(greek word) for the space shuttle come from greece.

xD "lalalalalalalalalalallalalalalalala" or whatever she does.

I think they named then after gods, because they thought it'd be a good idea I suppose, it doesn't have to have any meaning as to why they named the planets as they did.

why did your mother name you (insert your name here)? because she thought it would be a good way to pay homage to someone/thing, a unique name, or a name that she has always admired.

same could be applied to the planets.

Edit

Also, don't go stereotyping people... its highly ignorant.

Edited by Leliel

lmfao. this is insane. Xena? Are you serious?

Lets talk about Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle.

I am tremendously well versed in all three philosophers.

Bring a well thought out position to the fore and we will have a civilized debate.

Of personal interest to me are Plato's writings with "The Republic". I am especially taken with the allegory of the cave and its wider ramifications for the enlightenment and rennaisance in europe, along with modern day to day comparisons not only in education, but also in government and religion.

I eagerly await your response.

I'm sorry, that came across more arrogant than I wanted it to... I am simply fed up with the ramblings of the OP, ramblings which he is strewing about the forum as fast as he can.

I still await your response The Greek.

--Marty

Mars is the Roman God of War :tu: You have TOO much national pride...you know that?

Aristotelian discussions about science had only been qualitative, not quantitative.

:mellow: welp... here come the bigs words, I'm off to go somewhere less... dictionary...ney.

Plus, I'm going to need you to define both of those words, as I don't think you know what either mean... Sorry, but your writing style to date has been horrible... I think you cut and pasted that last post.

In Roman mythology, Mercury was a major god of trade, profit and commerce, the son of Maia Maiestas and Jupiter.

Venus was a major Roman goddess principally associated with love and beauty.

Mars was the Roman god of war, the son of Juno and either Jupiter or a magical flower.

In Roman mythology, Jupiter held the same role as Zeus in the Greek pantheon.

Saturn was a major Roman deity of agriculture.

Neptune was worshiped by the Romans primarily as a horse god, Neptune Equester, patron of horse-racing.

Pluto is an alternate name for the Greek god Hades, but was more often used in Roman mythology in their presentation of the god of the underworld.

venus is afrodite

jupiter is zeus

mercury is hermis

saturn is cronos

neptune is posidon

if i borrow the mythology and change the names into latin the old names arent true?

Roman Borrowed the greek mythology and that you can not understunt

no, many of the Roman gods were taken from the Etruscans, you might know them as the Tyrrhenians... an exonym used by Greek authors to refer to a non-Greek people. it's semantics. :tu:

venus is afrodite

jupiter is zeus

mercury is hermis

saturn is cronos

neptune is posidon

yeah... we... we don't really care about that.

also, you're going way off track on your own topic. we also already agree'd that the romans borrowed the greek gods of old. but then pax goes and makes us all wrong :P

if i borrow the mythology and change the names into latin the old names arent true?

who were you talking to? 0.o

Edited by Leliel