Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rats Born to Mice in Bizarre Lab Work

Roj47

In lab rats, "Who's your daddy?" can now yield a surprising answer. Scientists have generated rats from mice that developed rat sperm.

The breakthrough marks the first time researchers produced healthy offspring [Photo] from sperm cells fostered in a different species. The hope is this method could help generate sperm from endangered species or prize bulls.

A decade ago, scientists successfully developed sperm in one animal that had come from cells in another. Researchers began by growing rat sperm in mice, and proceeded to foster sperm from hamsters, rabbits, pigs, bulls and humans in mice as well.

However, until now it remained unknown whether any of these sperm were fertile. In several instances they developed abnormally in their foreign hosts.

http://www.livescience.com/othernews/06082...ogate_rats.html

Personally I think the implications of this are very, very wrong :no:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greychupa

• Purplos

• frogfish

• Roj47

Top Posters In This Topic

Someday, those people who say, of their dog, "He's like my own child!" can actually give birth to their dog and thus make their statement true.

<urk>

Animals are not ours to experiment on!

Oh, yes they are! With out lab mice, the drug Glivec would of never have been confirmed.

I saw a television program about cloning and how animal human hybrids were being made... kind of cool in a story, but in real life? No way.