Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who is or was 'Indrid Cold' ?

Maelstrom5

After reading several posts here on the subject of Mothman, I decided to look up the Mothman legend and see what the differences were between the movie 'Mothman Prophecies' and the actual story. Turns out that the movie and the actual story differ a great deal, even though there is often confusion between the two.

As some will already be aware, during the investigation conduction at Point Pleasant by John Keel, there was a series of strange sightings of what some call 'Men in Black' as well as a few odd phone calls made to John Keel (and apparently some others) by a man who called himself 'Indrid Cold.' By phone, Cold offered some cryptic "prophecies" that had no real relation to the sightings of Mothman going on in that area during 66 & 67, but the movie tied the two incidents together. The alleged 'Cornstalk Curse' was mentioned as well, and some say the curse had a lot to do with paranormal sightings in Point Pleasant and surrounding areas, as well as the collapse of the Silver Bridge (which is thought to have ended the Mothman sightings). There is a photographer, A.B. Colvin, whose website has oblique references to Indrid Cold, in addition to what he claims is an actual photograph of the Mothman creature.

A quote from Wikipedia on the subject of A.B. Colvin:

"A.B. Colvin, a photojournalist and cine-ethnographer, has produced a 30-hr. DVD news series on Mothman called The Mothman's Photographer. Colvin and his friends and family were witnesses to the creature. Colvin's sister apparently took a photo of Mothman in 1973. Colvin himself took a picture of an MIB in 1979 that he feels could be either his deceased father (who was at the infamous Philadelphia Experiment in 1943) or Indrid Cold, the spaceman who contacted Woody Derenberger. The Mothman's Photographer (2006) consists of recent interviews with over 40 eyewitnesses and experts such as John Keel, Marcella Bennett, Tom Ury, and Faye DeWitt. Many of the witnesses are from Mound, WV, where Colvin grew up. Colvin's feels that the Mound sightings hold the key to unlocking the conspiracy angles of the Mothman case."

Colvin's site, which also is his professional business site, contains the photos. It actually took me a while to locate the site, which doesn't easily turn up while searching 'Mothman' on Google. Still, his story is an interesting one, one that makes me more curious about who Indrid Cold was and what he had to do with the paranormal activity going on at the time. Some surmise that it was a government cover-up, but people ALWAYS say that. What really happened to the Silver Bridge and what was Cold's motivation for warning Keel and others about it beforehand? Here's a link to Colvin's site, if you haven't already heard his story and viewed the pictures:

Colvin's Mothman pictures

And here's a blog concerning Colvin and his theories on Mothman/Indrid Cold:

AndyColvin.com

I looked at the pictures on that website and for me they were way too obscure to see anything. It just looked like trees blowing in the wind to me.

I looked at the pictures on that website and for me they were way too obscure to see anything. It just looked like trees blowing in the wind to me.

The 'face' is in the bottom left corner, between the two coffee cups.

garuda is not even related to mothman . dog type ??? that insult me :P coz thats not garuda. thats Barong

I don't see anything in that pic besides a window...anyone care to point out where I'm supposed to see the image?

My point exactly. its a window, not a winged humanoid prophet!

I must side with the growing majority.....a see nothing but glare from a bight light reflected in glass from a window.....and one of the Brady's eating what looks to be breakfast, but don't ask me which one..could be Greg or Peter...or maybe Keith Partridge.....what was supposed to be in the photo again?

Anyone who follows the Mothmanlives list on Yahoo knows that this is not the first time I have been accused there of having the intent of humiliating “Barbara of Youngstown” (the woman who, on eBay, auctioned off - but never actually mailed - a piece of toast with an image of Jesus on it). According to John Frick (an artist Maryland who was chosen to supervise the list for (still) owner Donnie Sergent), I “hate” her. I have also been called an “a-hole” who “continually attacked” Barbara, although Barbara was never once attacked by anyone. I have generally been portrayed (in and around discussions of which firearm is best to use against MIBs) as an evil villian who is “doing the devil’s work” and who “wants to argue just for the sake of arguing.” ("Hey, can’t we all just get along as we talk about which caliber weapon we enjoy killing with?") Prior to that, I was accused variously of being “mind-controlled,” “demon-possessed,” “angry,” “unhappy,” a “whore,” a “nut,” unable to “experience peace,” a pitiable person “in need of prayer” because of my “receptiveness” to dark, quasi-satanic forces, a “bald-faced liar” who “manipulates” people into “doing his bidding,” and so on. Unbelievably, a couple of supposed “Wiccans” on the list gleefully alluded to me being burned at the stake and later eaten! Among other things, I was falsely accused by Robin P. Bellamy of attempting to “steal her Mothman story” away from Loren Coleman, her behind-the-scenes mentor (who is himself generally considered, rightly or wrongly, to be the world’s greatest appropriator of witnesses stories). All of these passed with virtually no comment from the moderator. These of course happen to be the tactics of the extreme right-wing: accusing your progressive enemies of committing exactly the same sins as you. As I have stated before, these accusations against me are poppycock. I wasn’t even on the list when these events with Barbara occurred, having been gone for months! The person who pointed out that Barbara was publicly auctioning her Jesus Toast had no idea they were breaking list rules (as these rules have never been elucidated) and had no idea they were embarrassing Barbara. Sadly, they were kicked off without warning, on their first “transgression” of list rules (unless admitting that they were friends of mine counted as the first transgression). Barbara could have come back at any time, like all the other right-wingers who have feigned quitting the list because of the presence of a liberal like myself.

I laughed my ass off at this guy's blog. He's so pathetic.

Anyone who follows the Mothmanlives list on Yahoo knows that this is not the first time I have been accused there of having the intent of humiliating “Barbara of Youngstown” (the woman who, on eBay, auctioned off - but never actually mailed - a piece of toast with an image of Jesus on it). According to John Frick (an artist Maryland who was chosen to supervise the list for (still) owner Donnie Sergent), I “hate” her. I have also been called an “a-hole” who “continually attacked” Barbara, although Barbara was never once attacked by anyone. I have generally been portrayed (in and around discussions of which firearm is best to use against MIBs) as an evil villian who is “doing the devil’s work” and who “wants to argue just for the sake of arguing.” ("Hey, can’t we all just get along as we talk about which caliber weapon we enjoy killing with?") Prior to that, I was accused variously of being “mind-controlled,” “demon-possessed,” “angry,” “unhappy,” a “whore,” a “nut,” unable to “experience peace,” a pitiable person “in need of prayer” because of my “receptiveness” to dark, quasi-satanic forces, a “bald-faced liar” who “manipulates” people into “doing his bidding,” and so on. Unbelievably, a couple of supposed “Wiccans” on the list gleefully alluded to me being burned at the stake and later eaten! Among other things, I was falsely accused by Robin P. Bellamy of attempting to “steal her Mothman story” away from Loren Coleman, her behind-the-scenes mentor (who is himself generally considered, rightly or wrongly, to be the world’s greatest appropriator of witnesses stories). All of these passed with virtually no comment from the moderator. These of course happen to be the tactics of the extreme right-wing: accusing your progressive enemies of committing exactly the same sins as you. As I have stated before, these accusations against me are poppycock. I wasn’t even on the list when these events with Barbara occurred, having been gone for months! The person who pointed out that Barbara was publicly auctioning her Jesus Toast had no idea they were breaking list rules (as these rules have never been elucidated) and had no idea they were embarrassing Barbara. Sadly, they were kicked off without warning, on their first “transgression” of list rules (unless admitting that they were friends of mine counted as the first transgression). Barbara could have come back at any time, like all the other right-wingers who have feigned quitting the list because of the presence of a liberal like myself.

Which has to do with mothman how?

It's from the mothman guy's blog. He writes all this weird, pseudo-cryptic, creepy stuff involving mothman and the government, and I thought it was funny that he'd just devote a post to the subject of people being mean to him online. That's how it relates.

All i saw in them pictures is what you'd see out of most house windows a bush, or tree it looked nothing like a moth or mothman pics i've seen before.

It's from the mothman guy's blog. He writes all this weird, pseudo-cryptic, creepy stuff involving mothman and the government, and I thought it was funny that he'd just devote a post to the subject of people being mean to him online. That's how it relates.

Oh. I thought that came from your mind. welcome to UM!

I must side with the growing majority.....a see nothing but glare from a bight light reflected in glass from a window.....and one of the Brady's eating what looks to be breakfast, but don't ask me which one..could be Greg or Peter...or maybe Keith Partridge.....what was supposed to be in the photo again?

Hey I didn't even see a Brady or a Partridge!

What the???

Oh, okay Veggie, I see. Still that was a whole heck of a lot of weirdness to type out....I'm keeping my eye on you.....

After reading several posts here on the subject of Mothman, I decided to look up the Mothman legend and see what the differences were between the movie 'Mothman Prophecies' and the actual story. Turns out that the movie and the actual story differ a great deal, even though there is often confusion between the two.

Mothman prophecies was pretty much just a hollywood movie peppered with a little bit of the actual story to make it interesting. JOhn keels book is great.....check it out if ya havent already.

O.k. everybody say it with me...ready? One....two.....three: AGENDA!!!!!

• 1 year later...

[[[[EDIT:Sorry, I failed to read your whole first post so I kind of answered what you already said in the first place, but I hope my information was of some use!!]]]]]

Hah, well Indrid Cold is me!

Now away from all the sillyness...

Well actually, (to the topc starter).. Indrid Cold is the extraterrestrial entity that was encountered during the peak of the mothman flap period in West Virgina He was encountered by Woodrow Derenberger who was driving home one night from Marietta, Ohio. On November 2, 1966, when an object shaped like the chimney of a kerosene lamp dropped out of the sky and landed directly in front of his truck. A man emerged from the craft and strolled over to him. The man was about six feet tall, with a dark complexion and slightly elongated eyes. he wore a dark coat and blue trousers which were shiny and glistened. As the man got near the door of Woodrows truck, he heard a voice asking him to roll dow his window. The man suddenly grinned fixedly at Woodrow, but his lips never moved and he had a telepathic conversation with the man. and the discussion they had together was rather brief and "pointless." The man said his name was "Indrid Cold" and that he was from a country much less powerful than the United states. Indrid Cold asked Woodrow who he was, where he was going, and a few other simple questions. Then he said that he would be back, and returned to the object and it flew off. [sOURCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO MYSTERIOUS BEINGS-JOHN. A KEEL]

Although in the movie "The Mothman Prophecies" it is implied that Indrid Cold and the mothman are the same entity, this is not the case. But it is very probable that they may have quite possibly been related.

If you would like to know any more, please don't be afraid to send me a message and ask... I know all the stories and eyewitness acounts very VERY well regarding the mothman affair, I take it seriously and don't just see it as "any other monster". This is my main course of study as you can tell by my avatar. I also read A LOT of books concerning the mothman so its very interesting to me!

Edited by Indrid Cold
  • Like 1

[[[[EDIT:Sorry, I failed to read your whole first post so I kind of answered what you already said in the first place, but I hope my information was of some use!!]]]]]

Well actually, (to the topc starter).. Indrid Cold is the extraterrestrial entity that was encountered during the peak of the mothman flap period in West Virgina He was encountered by Woodrow Derenberger who was driving home one night from Marietta, Ohio. On November 2, 1966, when an object shaped like the chimney of a kerosene lamp dropped out of the sky and landed directly in front of his truck. A man emerged from the craft and strolled over to him. The man was about six feet tall, with a dark complexion and slightly elongated eyes. he wore a dark coat and blue trousers which were shiny and glistened. As the man got near the door of Woodrows truck, he heard a voice asking him to roll dow his window. The man suddenly grinned fixedly at Woodrow, but his lips never moved and he had a telepathic conversation with the man. and the discussion they had together was rather brief and "pointless." The man said his name was "Indrid Cold" and that he was from a country much less powerful than the United states. Indrid Cold asked Woodrow who he was, where he was going, and a few other simple questions. Then he said that he would be back, and returned to the object and it flew off. [sOURCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO MYSTERIOUS BEINGS-JOHN. A KEEL]

Although in the movie "The Mothman Prophecies" it is implied that Indrid Cold and the mothman are the same entity, this is not the case. But it is very probable that they may have quite possibly been related.

If you would like to know any more, please don't be afraid to send me a message and ask... I know all the stories and eyewitness acounts very VERY well regarding the mothman affair, I take it seriously and don't just see it as "any other monster". This is my main course of study as you can tell by my avatar. I also read A LOT of books concerning the mothman so its very interesting to me!

if your really Indid Cold what type of lip balm am I holding in my hand right now? :unsure:

I only remember things about Indrid Cold from the movie, but to be another one who comments on that picture: wishful thinking. All you can see between those two coffee cups is a pattern made by branches and leaves that vaguely resembles the masks he also has up on the site. A coincidence. I highly doubt there ever was anything standing there.

if your really Indid Cold what type of lip balm am I holding in my hand right now? :unsure:

I'm no Indrid Cold, but I'll go for the Cherry-flavored :D !!

This Andy guy is so full of parc spelled backward! He put a Balinese Barong mask, he wrote it as "Garuda-Dog Type"!

Good lord, Barong is actually a Lion-typed animal! And he placed a green Sundanese Giant Warrior mask and

say it's another Garuda. I'd say, next time he come to Indonesia to buy the mask, make sure he bought the travelbook too!

Now here's another page of his website about a picture which I found rather...vaguely or forcefully commented

click

You'd think he'd have brains enough to take an after picture as well of the same window, same angle, same time of day even if it took him a while to develop the picture so we could see why he picked out something as small as that. For all we know, it's just a bush that you can pick a face out of. And it was difficult to do even that until he really zoomed into the specific place. Then, I was staring for several minutes trying to see what he was seeing. I don't think I even saw exactly what he was seeing. All in all, the guy's a faker I think.

• Like 1

I'm glad there is somebody else here who knows the real story as well. It pains me when I see Mothman reduced to a 'Cryptid' categorization. Anyone familiar with Keels and Gray Barkers work will know that the phenomenon extended far beyond a strange winged monster that was seen around the town, in fact the sightings only numbered around 100. However the UFO sightings for West Virginia and the whole of the Ohio Valley ranged into the thousands.

I always find myself correcting people on here about Mothman. There was a thread here several months ago that made me want to punch my screen when 'apparently' several witnesses came forth this year and said they saw mothman before the most recent bridge disaster (you'll have to excuse my ignorance, the place name escapes me...i'm from Australia).

I'm fascinated by the UFO and UAP cases from the late 70's and earlier...primarily because they have not been diluted in popular culture and come from an era when UFO study was considered a serious scientific undertaking. Now, because of the nutbags it has been relegated to second rate status in the scientific world.

I have a PDF copy of the book that lots of members have messaged about, if anyone else would like a copy, just PM me your email and i'll shoot you off a copy.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Indrid Cold = drodci lind

Modified Aboriginal Australian text - Swimmer of land

It's difficult to find an exact translation, as this particular language had no written language... and was syllabic and focused more on dialect than specifics!

Edited by paranormalguy