Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing jet from 1953 UFO incident found ?

UM-Bot

news icon rAt 6:22 p.m. on November 23 1953, an F-89 Scorpion jet was scrambled from Kinross Air Force Base near the Michigan Soo to intercept an unidentified object detected in restricted airspace over the Soo Locks. The U.S. fighter was seen on radar over Lake Superior, merging with the craft it was pursuing.

Then, it disappeared from radar.Never to be seen again.Ever since, the UFO-theorist circles have been speculating what might have happened.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Sootoday.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ROGER

• Josiah

• McCrea

• FireMoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently the Plane and crew were from Truax Field in Madison Wisconsin.

Edited by ROGER

I jumped around on the given links and finally found a copy of the Air Force accident report. They have it recorded that the unknown craft that was intercepted was a Royal Canadian A.F.Dakota(C-47) serial No, VC-912, Flying from Winnipeg to Sudbury at 7'000 FT.

No UFO here I guess. The diving company has a forum - message board so I will check it once in a while to see what they come up with.

So what happeend to the C47?? wheres the report from the crew of the aircraft about being buzzed by an American military craft which then crashed ?? Why didn't they find it there and then given that they should have witnessed it first hand going down into the lake|??

Why wasnt a NATO military aircraft carrying its FoF equipent and was it faulty or not??

As far as i can see that report say's absolutely nothing about why an American fighter suddenly crashed....

A full investigation was done and recorded at WWW.UFOBC.CANADA. Apparently the C-47 pilot didnt know there was a plane missing till the next day. As for the FOF (IFF) the C-47 should have had a MARK X on board.

Hey , this happened 5 monthes before I was born. So I wasn't there!

LOL'S :P

the f-89 had lots of problems. afterburner type explosions. structural failures in the wing joints. and fuel vapor explosions. there was a crash of this type of aircraft from the same base just a few hours before due to a mechanical failure. and things are known to shed a wing if you ever so lightly pull a bit too much g-

the weather at the time of the crash was pretty harsh as well . i did a bit of checking and there was a c-47 in the air at that time in approximately the same location . it arrived at it's destination and did not report any contact with the f-89c .

my thinking is the f-89 broke from a high altitude diving into some dark snowy weather at high speed trying to make contact with the c-47 which was @ 7,000 feet . the USAF report says the pilot suffered from vertigo and continued to dive , but i think it was a structural failure. in fact the wreckage looks just like some photos of a f-89 that lost a wing during an airshow. i figure the "other wreckage" is likely just some old junk somebody dumped down there rather than a UFO.

The weather report says a visibility of 7-8 miles doesnt it?? hardly the severe weather touted here.. and it was clear about 10,000 ft or so...

The picture of the wreck shows a vitually intact fuselage and one wing... hardly a incident where the aircraft *broke up* suddenly meaning that the navigator would have had ample time to get off a mayday, if indeed it did crash from a height.. given hitting the water from 20,000 is akin to hitting concrete that one looks like a very slim chance at best..

The Radar op stated that the *two objects merged on the screen* given the detail the tube would have shown the jet must have passed very close to the C47...certainly within visual range of it to have merged as a single object...

The state of the wreckage. there is the possibility of the canopy stil being intact, would suggest that it was a low level relatively low speed collision and that the pilot managed to ditch the craft rather than out and out crash... given that, it does beg the question why there was no radio distress signal...

Anyway , hopefully, some of these questions will be answered inside the next year or so...

the f-89 has a history of problems with the wings coming off, engine problems with exploding afterburners. the sister ship to this aircraft from the same squadron crashed on the same day--just a few hours before killing the crew after a engine explosion .

now your proof is 1953 radar images the merged into one ? that type of radar had only 2 d capability--way back in the transistor and power tube days two objects could merge say one at 20,000 feet another at 7,000 feet asl because of limitations of the old radar sets it doesn't mean they collided.

the clear weather was over the airfield 180 miles from the crash sight--it was light snow over the crash area.

the f-89 has a history of problems with the wings coming off, engine problems with exploding afterburners. the sister ship to this aircraft from the same squadron crashed on the same day--just a few hours before killing the crew after a engine explosion .

now your proof is 1953 radar images the merged into one ? that type of radar had only 2 d capability--way back in the transistor and power tube days two objects could merge say one at 20,000 feet another at 7,000 feet asl because of limitations of the old radar sets it doesn't mean they collided.

the clear weather was over the airfield 180 miles from the crash sight--it was light snow over the crash area

i tell ya that kinda info....it makes me jealous, i wish id thought to say that :::

I had never seen or hear of an F-89 before this so I looked it up. It kind of reminds me of the T-33 and T-36 only larger. And look at the fuel tank size on the wing tips. The wind drag must have been very high. And with after burners I can see where a wing might come off.

post-9259-1157660239.jpg

Now the website says it cant get near it and no more work this year, why is it always like that with subjects like this. Grainy short ufo videos. things are there but we cant gget to it.. it could be a stunt to add plublicity to thier search.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to know at what depth the jet and the mysterious object where found?

Fall and winter weather is going to start to be a problem. Temperatures of highs in the 50's and 60's , at night down to the 40 degree mark. That really makes the Great Lakes very ruff to be on.

Fall and winter weather is going to start to be a problem. Temperatures of highs in the 50's and 60's , at night down to the 40 degree mark. That really makes the Great Lakes very ruff to be on.

Hi Roger,

You are right about the weather. I contacted one of the "dive - team" members via the website and he wrote back saying pretty much the same thing.

Take care friend. :)

:P You bet , but cold makes for good cuddling weather!

In the "Old Days the Indians stayed warm by wrapping themselves in Buffalo Blankets. My Wife is smarter.

SHE MARRIED THE WHOLE BUFFALO! :P

:P You bet , but cold makes for good cuddling weather!

In the "Old Days the Indians stayed warm by wrapping themselves in Buffalo Blankets. My Wife is smarter.

SHE MARRIED THE WHOLE BUFFALO! :P

Roger,

This may be off - topic, but you gave me the first good chuckle I have had this year. :D

I am one of the old - school ones from that 70's show ... like yourself.

Peace be with you.

Keep posting.

P.S: If that metallic, oval, disc, (tear - shaped) object viewable at the "Great Lakes Dive Company" website, lying 500 feet at the bottom of Lake Superior, 212.5 ft., from the 1953 F89c Scorpion crash - site, turns out to be what I think it could be and not just a lump of lake junk, casting no acoustic shadow ~ then it will totally rock the world.

The thing is did the strange mysterious object take out the plane and if it did what took down the strange object. :hmm:

The thing is did the strange mysterious object take out the plane and if it did what took down the strange object. :hmm:

Chaos,

Study all the details presented at the web - site and your question(s) will hopefully be answered.

It is my guess that the collision, (if that is what occurred), with the strange, metallic object, caused the crash of the F89c Scorpion, which in turn caused the downing of the metallic object. The web - site shows enhanced - imagery photos, of what appears to be strike marks from the wing of the F89c upon the metallic object.

The keyword here is "appears" as the imagery is grainy and there is speculation regarding the whereabouts of the lost wing, from the F89c Scorpion.

I hope this helps clarify somewhat.