Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indiana man killed by snake

girty1600

Man crushed to death by family's pet python

Associated Press

Sept. 5, 2006 10:36 AM

LANESVILLE, Ind. - A 14-foot pet python crushed its owner to death, authorities said Tuesday after finding the snake loose in a southern Indiana shed with the man's body.

Patrick Von Allmen, 23, was found Monday evening in the shed near Lanesville, about 15 miles west of Louisville, Ky.

A medical examiner determined that the death was consistent with asphyxiation caused by compression of the neck and chest, said Conservation Officer Mark Farmer.

"When you're dealing with a wild animal species, you take on a certain amount of risk," he said.

Von Allmen had told family members he was going to treat the snake for a medical condition, farmer said. He was alone in the shed with the python for about three hours before his body was found.

Relatives said Von Allmen had 10 to 12 years of experience handling reptiles, according to authorities. The family got the snake as a pet five months ago, Farmer said.

Indiana law does not restrict ownership of snakes, and the python was returned to the family.

Non vet treats pet

I don't even trim my cats' claws without Falco's helping hands to keep the peace. He should have called for back-up. Poor guy.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• girty1600

• _Nyx_

• frogfish

• ReviewDude

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LANESVILLE, Ind. - A 14-foot pet python crushed its owner to death, authorities said Tuesday after finding the snake loose in a southern Indiana shed with the man's body.

1. Who has a 'pet' 14-foot python? Surely he knew the risks.

2. How come I can't think of any Snakes on a Plane jokes?

Who has a 'pet' 14-foot python? Surely he knew the risks

I do...A beautiful 14 foot Burmese. He's totally tame also :yes:

The guy probably made some stupid mistake like not washing himself after feeding the snake. So when the snake located the mice-smell coming from the man's hand, the snake probably struck and the guy panicked.

The guy probably made some stupid mistake like not washing himself after feeding the snake. So when the snake located the mice-smell coming from the man's hand, the snake probably struck and the guy panicked.

I used to have a pet skunk (musk glands removed) and if I didn't wash my hands after I ate she would munch on my fingers thinking they were food. Skunks are pretty close to being blind and have little depth perception so it was always treated as an innocent mistake.

As for the snake I'm not sure; the article says the python had a medical condition. Perhaps he was trying to save some money at the vet's office by lancing a boil or treating an open wound.

I always thought having a pet skunk would be cool.....my parents thought otherwise...

the guy should've had someone in there with him... to cower in the corner and shriek for help if nothing else... :P

Or the snake just killed him.