Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Synesthesia and psychic abilities

Mr Walker

Last night I saw an interesting programme on Synesthesia (basically the crosswiring of parts of the brain in which people may see objects as numbers or colours). It's more complicated than that and i don't have the knowledge to put links here but it is easily googled for more information. It set me thinking whether some psychic abilities may lie in a form of Synesthesia, where some individuals brains are wired to see/experience things around them in visual or verbal images that others cannot see. Any one have more information or just thoughts on this? I am always open to any explanations for the many unexplained mysteries which surround us.

I have searched this forum and found a dozen or so posts going back to 2004 which contain the word synesthesia, but nothing which really addresses this issue.

Edited by Mr Walker

Any one have more information or just thoughts on this?

Hello, Mr. Walker,

You may also want to search with [a]esthetics or [a]estheticism as criteria. The dictionary defines it as sensitivity to artistic beauty, among other mundane explanations.

In the "Spirit Possessions" thread, I commented upon a diagnosed schizophrenic who developed a form of estheticism. Since the voices of spirits were so overpowering, she adapted by perceiving words falling from the mouths of humans speaking to her. Naturally, that would have to be the rant of a lunatic because old school psychiatrists lack the skill.

An autistic savant with the documented ability to learn any foreign language in 7 days also solves complex mathematical equations when odd shapes and symbols without coherent numeric forms appear before him. He was featured on PBS or Discovery some time ago, but I do remember them declaring him a socially integrated autistic. Whether it was Asperger Syndrome (Low grade autism) or not I can't be certain.

Thanks for that info. The bloke featured on last night's show, Catalyst, on the A(ustralian) B. C. was from the U.K. I think they called him an idiot savant which sounds like a less politically correct term for autistic savant. Any way, next week the programme takes him to America to meet the person on whom the Rainmaker film with Dustin Hoffman was modelled. I just have a feeling that while the causes of paranormal events are probably many and varied, we need to look at all possibilities, the logical/rational, scientific ones as well as those more "out there". That is not to say that I discount currently inexplicable causes.

Thanks for that info. The bloke featured on last night's show, Catalyst, on the A(ustralian) B. C. was from the U.K. I think they called him an idiot savant which sounds like a less politically correct term for autistic savant.

You're welcome. My brother had the savantism without the autism, and may to this day. He became so discouraged by math teachers in junior high and high school demanding that he show his work, which he could not using the best method at his disposal, that he lost near total interest in academics.

When he was in the Air Force, I was absolutely shocked when he spoke of a spiritually inclined friend of his named Carl and the conversations they had without verbalization. Given that he was so ashamed of the savantism, I wouldn't have expected him to discuss anything along supernatural lines. I'm not sure what happened; perhaps he learned more than he could handle, or was mocked by peers, but he clammed up about Carl's and his newly discovered ability altogether after a few months. But that's clairaudience and is a discussion for another forum.

Any way, next week the programme takes him to America to meet the person on whom the Rainmaker film with Dustin Hoffman was modelled.

I worked with several autistics in the mid '90s. Not one of them mimicked Rainman behavior. Though Hollywood is known for choosing extreme and rare examples in the interest of sensationalism. Of course, the film led many people without direct dealings to believe that all autistics are savants, and that they spend their days rocking back and forth shouting "Uh oh!" and "Yeah!"

One boy flipped out (Sorry... became serenity challenged) if his companions or caretakers inquired about baseball or discussed the weather; something the teachers neglected to tell me until I was done spending two hours accompanying him to the mainstream classes. Apart from the weather and baseball hang-ups, he presented himself as irritable and curt. No rapid toothpick counting to speak of, but I suppose those red flag conversation topics were the equivalent of missing People's Court at 3:30PM.

I watched a documentary about synesthesia a while back and this man who worked in a pub was getting a taste when he heard a sound.

theres more info and a test at the link below.

derek tastes of earwax

It was theorised that some sayings we have like "isn't that shirt lound" and "that lemon tastes sharp" could be a result of it.

Our brains work by association. Although the exact mechanism of synaesthesia is uknown, the logic behind it is not.

• 5 months later...
Our brains work by association. Although the exact mechanism of synaesthesia is uknown, the logic behind it is not.

It's responding to different vibrations !!!

Experiencing vibrations in different ways!!!

It gives you clues as to your awareness...your genetic .. DNA level ,sensitivities to your surroundings....

Look at the following interesting study...of how plants respond to music!!!!

http://www.earthpulse.com/src/subcategory....&subcatid=6

"Playing the right tune stimulates the formation of a plant's protein. "The length of a note corresponds to the real time it takes for each amino acid to come after the next," according to Sternheimer, who studied quantum physics and mathematics at Princeton University in New Jersey.

In experiments by Sternheimer, he claims that tomatoes exposed to his melodies grew two-and-a-half times as large as those which were untreated. Some of the treated plants were sweeter in addition to being significantly larger. The musical sequences stimulated three tomato growth promoters, cytochrome C, and thaumatin (a flavoring compound). According to Sternheimer in the New Scientist, "Six molecules were being played to the tomatoes for a total of three minutes a day."

Sternheimer also claims to have stopped the mosaic virus by playing note sequences that inhibited enzymes required by the virus. This virus would have harmed the tomato plants.

The note sequences used by the inventor are very short and need only be played one time. For example, the sequence for for cytochrome C lasts just 29 seconds. According to Sternheimer, "on average, you get four amino acids played per second" in this series.

The inventor also issued a warning for those repeating his experiments. He warns to be careful with the sound sequences because they can affect people. "Don't ask a musician to play them," he says. Sternheimer indicated that one of his musicians had difficulty breathing after playing the tune for cytochrome C."

Just think how certain music must then affect us and our health at some level !!!!

We all observe various environmental vibrational information at some subconscious level... eg...how smell can bring back certain memories... or alter moods... or evoke primal responses...we call it intuition...

So certain sensitives...absorb,process vibrational information thru different channels of senses..

Eg look how plants and insects etc communicate....

Plants and insects

Communicating chemically ....vibrationally...

http://www.edwardwillett.com/Columns/plantcommunication.htm

"Over three seasons spanning 1996 through 1998, researchers from the University of California in Davis monitored wild tobacco plants growing near sagebrush. They clipped the leaves of some of the sagebrush plants to mimic the damage caused by insects. The sagebrush plants responded with a puff of a chemical called methyl jasmonate. In response, tobacco plants downwind immediately begin boosting the level of an enzyme called PPO that makes their leaves less tasty to plant-eating insects. Within minutes of the clipping of the sagebrush, the plants' PPO levels quadrupled.

It worked, too. Tobacco plants next to the clipped sagebrush suffered sixty percent less damage from grasshoppers and caterpillars than tobacco plants next to unclipped sagebrush.

Then, last fall, scientists at Kyoto University in Japan let spider mites loose on lima-bean plants and tracked the plants' responses. They found five different defense mechanisms. First, each injured plant released a chemical that changed its flavor, making it less attractive to the mites (although I personally nd it hard to imagine anything less attractive than the taste of a lima bean to begin with).

Then the plants released other chemicals that drifted away. Other lima bean plants received the chemical and immediately begin giving off the same chemicals, making themselves less tasty and warning still more lima bean plants, before the mites even reached them.

Most amazingly, some of the released chemicals had the effect of summoning a whole new batch of mites--mites that, rather than eating lima bean plants, preferred to eat the spider mites attacking the lima bean plants.

The Japanese researchers even found that the plants could distinguish between insect damage and crushing damage. They crushed some leaves and stems and found that although the injured plants released chemicals, the surrounding plants ignored them, somehow recognizing no real danger existed. (It appears that substances in the attacking insects' saliva are required to trigger the anti-insect chemical response in the plant.)

Other examples from agriculture are also known. Corn under attack from armyworms, for instance, puts out a chemical signal that attracts a predatory wasp. The wasp lays its eggs inside the armyworm; when they hatch, the wasp larva eat the armyworm.

And a study released last week shows that this kind of signaling exists not only in agricultural situations and in labs, but in the wild--which means it is likely widespread throughout the plant kingdom.

Researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology in Jena, Germany, discovered that when a species of wild tobacco plant that grows in the southwestern United States is damaged by hornworms (the larva of the hawkmoth) it releases chemicals that attract predatory insects that kill the larva."

cool.gif Humans communicating chemically....

http://www.monell.org/chemeco.htm

Scientists have isolated the genes that encode odortypes and are investigating how the coding is accomplished. Studies are underway to explore the influence of odortypes on social interactions in animals and humans.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neur...eb2/Bartek.html

Department stores around the country are currently selling fragrances for men and women that supposedly contain pheromones, the mysterious chemicals responsible for intraspecies subliminal communication....

Pheromones are chemicals employed in intraspecies communication. Pheromones may be proteins, steroids, or any other chemical released by the body. The vomernasal organ (VNO) houses the chemoreceptors involved in detecting pheromones (3). The sensory system that perceives pheromones is similar in many ways to the olfactory system, particularly in that both systems transduce chemicals. Additionally, smell can be "emotionally potent" in humans (4) , and possibly other animals, just as pheromone detection could affect animals' emotional states, at least according to popular culture (5) .

thumbsup.gif

Ergo.... on some subconscious level all life communicates to each other thru chemical vibrations....

Chemical vibrations create various emotions in man... and emotions create neurochemicals... that have vibrations etc...

Man has developed speach..and other communcations skills to transmit these feelings...needs...so are often not as sensitive to the messages that the body is sending biochemically...neurochemically... yet it is all still functioning .. in an unconscious...subconsious manner... yet we still pick this signals up at a subconsious... intuitive level ..on accasion... as gut feelings????

I therefore suggest that we also receive and communicate these signals feelings... emotions .. on some level with all life forms... including plants... insects.. and animals.... and we in turn receive info from them... this is seen on some levels as telepathy... like radio waves...vibrational ..chemical communication...

Our link to all !!!!

So therefore I suggest a good way to create experiments to prove telepathy.. and many other spiritual links is biochemically... vibrationally... we can measure if messages are being sent of received on a bio..neuro..chemical level..

Just like plants... there is a problem..chemicals are sent to attract the appropriate solution... and hey presto.. a successful communication...

Ahhh .,... and 'intent'... can be an 'on' or 'off' switch.. for various communcications....a rechannellor of information received...

I have Music-> Image synesthesia

And I can see very beautiful images

If you develope that.... Wow!!!! you'll be able to be more and more attune with nature!~!!!

heard of this???

http://www.sonicbloom.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~sean.day/html/types.htm

I hear music...and I write the song!!!! :D

Have you heard of Protein Music????

http://whozoo.org/mac/Music/index.htm

Edited by crystal sage

If you develope that.... Wow!!!! you'll be able to be more and more attune with nature!~!!!

heard of this???

http://www.sonicbloom.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~sean.day/html/types.htm

I hear music...and I write the song!!!! :D

Have you heard of Protein Music????

http://whozoo.org/mac/Music/ADH.htm

I have that from my birth

I have always able to see images from music

I was always happy to hear something

And I did not hear about that

Synesthesia works by pairing two senses together, it just expresses what anyone else would be able to sense, but in a different manner. It doesn't grant you any extra senses, so I don't believe it can be related to anything psychic.

I do not think that everybody have synesthesia

Or I am wrong??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes...g_summary.shtml

But now, synaesthesia is sparking a revolution in our understanding of the human mind.

(from Gollo's site...)...(lol... i had another detailed answer to this question...but my computer played up and I lost the post.... :D ... I must have been on the wrong track!!!!)

The synaesthete in all of us

Two synaesthetes seldom agree on the colours or tastes they experience. While Covent Garden may taste of crinkly chocolate to James, it's very unlikely to have the same taste for another synaesthete. And Dorothy's brother Peter, also a synaesthete, won't see M or Z in the same colour as she does. But despite these differences, scientists are now beginning to discover more and more overarching synaesthetic patterns.

Dorothy doesn't only see letters and numbers in colour. Music produces a riot of colour, too. As Dorothy hears notes going from low to high, her colours change from black and purple to mid-browns and then yellows and whites. Overall, lower notes evoke darker colours and higher notes brighter colours - and this pattern is true for most synaesthetes.

But surprisingly, when non-synaesthetes are asked to match colours and music, they show a similar pattern. Most of us seem to associate low notes with darker colours and high notes with brighter colours.

The evidence of the synaesthete in all of us doesn't end here. Another clue comes from the way we manipulate numbers. More than half of all synaesthetes who see coloured numbers also experience their numbers arranged in space around them. Heather Birt is such a synaesthete, and she's followed by a stream of numbers wherever she goes.

Recently, scientists started to investigate how non-synaesthetes deal with numbers. They found they're better at manipulating small numbers with their left hand, and their bigger numbers with our right hand. This suggests that we all somehow think of numbers as arranged in space, even if we're not aware of it. More evidence, it seems, that we're all synaesthetic to some degree. It's just that some people experience a more exaggerated version.

Making sense of the world

Edited by crystal sage

Synesthesia is very interesting. I experience it between many of my senses.

Smell and taste are the most common. You ever smell cookies baking, and you taste them on your mouth so your mouth starts watering?

Sight and smell. Looking at cut grass on the TV can make me smell cut grass.

Sound and sight. Seeing shapes and colors by listening to music, and vice versa.

Sight and taste. Yellow tastes like a very sweet lemon, unless it is neon yellow in which case it tastes like a sour lemon. Tastes will cause different colors to be seen. Metallic for instance has a bright flash to it.

• Like 1

I understand Smell- Taste synesthesia

Once i have smell poo somewhere and I have experienced the taste of it

It was disgusting taste in my mouth

I had to wash my mouth right away :wacko:

I expect synesthesia is due to internal and external memories conflicting with the senses.

As for the psychic part of it; the sixth sense causing synesthesia with other senses causing clairvoyance.

A hypothesis may be that everyone has this sixth sense, but it has grown dormant. Kind of like our appendix and pineal gland. Well, with people who have synesthesia commonly, the sixth sense crosses over to the other 5 senses causing clairvoyance.

• Like 1

That is interesting

I am still young and I haven't ever talked about my "gifts"

And I do not know anything about that

• Like 1

I expect synesthesia is due to internal and external memories conflicting with the senses.

As for the psychic part of it; the sixth sense causing synesthesia with other senses causing clairvoyance.

A hypothesis may be that everyone has this sixth sense, but it has grown dormant. Kind of like our appendix and pineal gland. Well, with people who have synesthesia commonly, the sixth sense crosses over to the other 5 senses causing clairvoyance.

Whixh sixth sense? People with synesthesia only have combinations of the already known senses, they don't have any additional ones.

Whixh sixth sense? People with synesthesia only have combinations of the already known senses, they don't have any additional ones.

Read it over more carefully. It's a hypothesis that says everyone has a dormant 6th sense, and clairvoyance is caused with synesthesia between the 6th sense and the other senses.

• Like 1

If synesthesia is combined with 2 sences then it can be combined with the 6th sence??

Right??

If synesthesia is combined with 2 sences then it can be combined with the 6th sence??

Right??

B):tu: Here's an interesting article that may help.....

http://www.mindreality.com/seven-senses-al...se-is-one-sense

"Knowing that all sensory stimulus are vibrations helps you to understand how cross sensory perception works. You can hear the loudness of color and see the brightness of sound. People can have good or bad tastes in art and music. You can taste what you smell and smell what you see. Dolphins see the ocean scape with sonar while bats see in darkness with echo. You can see the shape of a baby in a womb with ultrasound.

In fact, you could even think that all sense is seeing sense, all sense is hearing sense, all sense is touching sense, all sense is smelling sense, all sense is tasting sense and all sense is feeling sense. Since all sense is one sense, you can interpret one form of sensory data into another.

Everything is light, everything is sound, everything is touch, everything is smell, everything is taste and everything is feeling.

Seeing is feeling, hearing is feeling, touching is feeling, smelling is feeling, tasting is feeling.

There is an order of development of the five senses in the womb. The first to develop is sense of touch followed by sense of taste, sense of smell, sense of hearing and sense of sight. In the external world, the order of senses in terms of perceptual reach from closest to furthest range is touch, taste, smell, hearing and sight.

The sense of touch is the closest to the sense of feeling because it is an external form of feeling. The sixth sense is a sense of inner knowing and inner feeling. To know is to feel, to feel is to know. Knowing and feeling are one. How do you know something? You know it as an internal feeling. How do you know something to be true? You know it by how it feels.

We can look at a dog and know what it is without thinking the word “dog” in our head. If we look at a dog and we look at a spoon, we know through internal feelings or sensations, they are different things. They do not just look different but they also feel different. We internally register a different feeling from perceiving each one. Our sixth sense delivers that data to us. It is the sensory that is closest to what we are looking for, a frequency or energy.

You experience frequency, energy or vibration by feeling. There is an internal frequency or feeling for every mental phenomena you experience. All mental states are internal frequencies or feelings. It you can recreate the internal frequency, you can recreate the phenomena. There is a frequency of inspiration, passion, confidence, creativity etc.

Emotion or feeling is the closest thing to frequency or vibration that we can communicate to the universe with.

Feeling or frequency is how we communicate with things. This is how psychokinesis works. We put our mind in the mental state or frequency that is in synch with the object in order to move it. If you wanted to float an apple across the room, do you just tell the apple “Hey apple! I command you to float across the room!”? No. It is an internal frequency or feeling we think that moves it.

Understanding our sixth sense opens up our paranormal abilities. If you can perceive, you can also exert. Energy can move in two directions, in and out.

They say you can’t see God but you can feel him, He is like the wind. It begins with feeling, and then hearing, and then seeing. When you begin to feel his presence, you can hear his still small voice and then you shall see visions that he reveals to you. Usually all that takes place mentally in the realm of your imagination although it sometimes happen physically for some people too. The realm of the imagination is spiritual, therefore what takes place in it isn’t just make belief but it is also very real.

Since it is the nature of the universe to exist in sevens, there is a seventh sense. The seventh sense is thought perception.Every place has a mental atmosphere which is made up of the collective thought waves of people that had passed through there. When you go into a place where people have been involved in the mental activity of reading, your thought waves will be entrained for reading. The same is true for mental atmospheres of dancing, relaxing, racing, worshiping or any activity.

Feeling is thought. To feel is to think. Feeling is a form of thinking. The sixth sense is to think by feeling. The sixth sense is the link between the first five and the seventh.

Emotion and thinking are symbiotic, one never exists without the other. Whenever one seems to exist without the other, it means the other is subconscious. You thinking affects your emotion and your emotion affects your thinking. Everything is energy and it is Mind that moves energy. Emotion is energy in motion and since Mind is energy, emotion is mind moving itself.

Intuition is combined operation of the sixth and seventh senses. When you come into the presence of people, you can sense their energies and their thought waves. You can perceive whether they are weak or strong, dull or brilliant, good or evil, positive or negative. The same is true for the energies you project for others to sense as well.

Just like you can transmute the sense of hearing into the sense of seeing by making a three dimensional mental picture from the sounds of your environment, you can also transmute the sixth sense into the seventh sense by understanding what your feelings mean. Your intuition is most powerful when you are able to feel and understand what your feelings mean. You have to use your seventh sense to help your sixth sense.

As the sensory inputs of light, sound, touch, smell and taste are reproduced in your brain, so are the thought waves of your environment reproduced in your brain as well. When you are with wise people, you will tend to think wise thoughts. When you are with foolish people, you will tend to think foolish thoughts. The same is true in the presence of good or evil, strong or weak, positive or negative people.

Just like you can block out light by not looking and overpower one sound with a louder one, you can shut out negative thoughts by not thinking them or overpower them with positive ones.

To sense is to perceive. Perception is thought. All senses are thought.

Everything is Thought.

Thought is Mind in Motion. Thought is vibration and vibration is Energy. To sense is to experience Energy in motion or E-motion. When you touch something, your body feels energy behaving in a certain way and your mind interprets it as hard, soft, cold, warm, smooth, rough, etc. Externally experienced things are external E-motions. Internally experienced things are internal Emotions. Feeling is perception of emotion. An emotion can run without your conscious realization until you feel and become aware of it.

Everything is Emotion. All emotion is energy in motion. Feelings are everything. '

...or according to Zap Mama.....

"The sixth sense is emotions and the seventh sense, which not everybody has, is the power to heal others. It is the power to heal with music, calm with color .."

http://www.zapmama.be/

Read it over more carefully. It's a hypothesis that says everyone has a dormant 6th sense, and clairvoyance is caused with synesthesia between the 6th sense and the other senses.

I see, got ya. :tu:

Right??

Providing that the sixth sense is real, then I'd say so. (Whether it is or not is a different matter, but that's for another thread).

For the sake of knowing, it's said that the human body has between 14 and 20 different senses, the exact number depends on how you want to define them, like if the senses of heat and pressure should both be put together (sense of touch) or seperately.

But there are lots of others, such as the sense of balance, body awareness (e.g. if you close your eyes, it doesn't matter how you move, you always know where your limbs are), sense of hunger etc.

• Like 1

Hey crystal sage. I enjoyed your post. I think it may help me recreate my past experiences. Not only is it a reasonable explanation to achieving these experiences but it is also very helpfull. Im going to use this.

• Like 1