Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Synesthesia and psychic abilities

Mr Walker

@crystal sage

Thnx man

I know about my sences more and I have diverente view about them

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting subject!!!

Ever since I can remember, I have associated colours with words, whether they be days of the week, months, words in general or just letters of the alphabet. When I was about 10 years old I remember saying to a friend, "what colour do you think Monday is?"

She looked at me like I was crazy and asked what the hell I was on about,

"well" I said "When you think of a day, don't you think of a colour at the same time?"

"No" she replied

"I do" said another friend, I was relieved because I thought I had gone mad!

To my first friend I said "well for instance, Tuesday is a blue colour" to which she replied

"no it's not, it's red"

She didn't realise she did that and we both collapsed laughing.

Colours for days of the week for me:

Monday - burgundy, Tuesday - blue, Wednesday - green, Thursday - dark blue, Friday - orange, Saturday and Sunday - yellow.

Now I defy anyone to have different colours <sniggers>

:lol:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Combining the information regarding DNA MUsic

http://whozoo.org/mac/Music/index.htm

http://whozoo.org/mac/Music/samples.htm

The realization that all is a vibration of light.. we can understand the idea of synesthesia.. and multifaceted Mirror Neurons

http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct05/mirror.html

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/1726/

http://www.nyas.org/ebriefreps/main.asp?intSubSectionID=3574

* Synesthesia may be more common among artists and poets than in other people, and at least one form of synesthesia arises from cross-wiring between the color center and the number areas of the brain.

* Studying synesthesia and other "quirks" of the brain can yield insights into the biology of metaphorical thinking, language, and other fundamental brain activities.

* Universal principles may govern our appreciation for art, and these principles may have underlying evolutionary significance.

Art "is visual foreplay before the final climax of object recognition."

• 1 year later...

Some interesting research on this... I wonder how it went...

http://synesthesia.prometheus.kai.ru/ny_e.htm

A great sense of humor here... is it it just in the translation... ? but some interesting observations on this topic...

LOFTY SICKNESS OF SYNESTHESIA OR CREATIVE IMPOTENCE OF IT'S INTERPRETERS?

http://prometheus.kai.ru/lofty_e.htm

The birth and development of light-music, the very process of creation of light-music works is connected usually with "color hearing" phenomenon, the special case of more general psychic phenomenon, the synesthesia ("co-sensation", in Greek origin). Such connection does exist, though it is not so simple as one might think (when lighting part in light-music work is regarded simply as screen materialization of some synesthetic hints). But let's first discuss the nature of synesthesia itself.

This phenomenon had got focus of scholars' studies at the end of XIX century, the initial impetus being made by the scandalous and famous "color sonnet" of A.Rimbaut, "The Vowels" ("A" is black, "I" has a blood color, etc.). This gave origin to the term "color hearing", rather uncommon one, just as Rimbaut's poetry was.

In Russian poetry there are many not completely common yet acceptable comparisons as "the dawn-blue sound of the flute" (K.Balmont), "the cries are thrown as the handfuls of golden coins" (A.Block). Today we calmly read the phrases such as the painter Tchiurlionis used to "see" music, and another painter Kandinsky "painted" in his mind's eye the timbres of musical instruments, as well as Balmont did. The musicology literature is full of allegations that composers Rimsky-Korsakov, Scriabin, Asaf'ev, Messiaen were able to "see" tonalities and chords in colors.

The common positivism of superficial culture, a product of universal education, makes people apprehend the words in the inverted commas above "see", "paint", etc., literally. This initial false premise causes further searching for simple explanation of this phenomenon. A number of explanations had been proposed - and all of them being very trivial: the naive reference to physics (the same wave nature of signals in both cases); a certain anatomic defect (tangling of acoustic and optic nerves); the atavism of psychics ("the recurrence of primitive consciousness"); and up to miraclous incognizable ability (which is accessible only for initiated into the mysteries of some esoteric teaching). But, in due course, many puzzles had been clarified - at least for those who shared with our research group "Prometheus" the keen interest in this problem and having discussed synesthesia at the special "color hearing" sections of the All-Union (later All-Russian) conferences being held in Kazan. To say in short, it is our opinion that synesthesia phenomenon regarding art realm does not relate to any psychic abnormality. Neither Rimbaut nor Balmont or Scriabin had "co-sensation" in literal meaning of the word. By it's psychological nature, synesthesia is inter-sensory association, one of the manifestation of non-verbal thinking, formed generally in sub-conscious sphere. This psychic process may come to the light in a verbal form - as a metaphor or allegory, even double allegory, for here the transfer of meaning is accompanied with the transfer into another sensor modality.

It is necessary to say that in the West, especially in USA, a sort of "synesthetic boom" is observed nowadays. The monographies are published, Ph.D. theses are defended, conferences are being held, new synesthetic web sites appear. Almost all of them stress the unique, unusual and rather abnormal nature of the phenomenon, strange yet useful one. That is the manifestation of certain common prejudice. An old mistakes, that had been overcome long ago by European and Soviet science, are rising again! Unfortunately, our prominent academician A.Lurie has made his own contribution to this kind of "reductionism". (His well-known book on "synesthete" Shereshovski has become a Bible for modern researchers who study synesthesia as brain abnormality). Regarding very rare cases of abnormal "co-sensations", which were the symphtoms of either "cerebral arteriosclerosis" or "pregnancy", he mentioned in the same line the "color hearing" of Scriabin and other composers [1]. Maybe he could be pardoned in thinking so, taking into account his profession. But the philosophers sometimes fall into the same error as well.

For instance, V.N.Sagatovsky wrote: "In psychiatry the case of synesthesia (a perception of sound as bearing a certain color) is considered as "suffering". Well, few people did suffer from this "abnormality", Scriabin and Block among them. But if this feature extends the abilities for vision and creative process, not disbalancing other functions of the organism, why should we consider it as a misfortune? The "sublime" ideas of both paranoic and man of genius are equally uncommon, but the former are abnormal not because of their uncommonness" [2, p.338].

http://www.book-of-thoth.com/modules.php?n...pic&t=13054

Then you may also like to explore Synesthesia and Supposed psychic powers that enable people to see auras around others may simply be a quirk of the brain, according to a University College London (UCL) study of a rare form of synaesthesia where some people see colourful ‘auras’ around their loved ones.

If it is OK , as I can't find the thread I thought I started here... It is necessary to say that in the West, especially in USA, a sort of "synesthetic boom" is observed nowadays. The monographies are published, Ph.D. theses are defended, conferences are being held, new synesthetic web sites appear. Almost all of them stress the unique, unusual and rather abnormal nature of the phenomenon, strange yet useful one. That is the manifestation of certain common prejudice. An old mistakes, that had been overcome long ago by European and Soviet science, are rising again! Unfortunately, our prominent academician A.Lurie has made his own contribution to this kind of "reductionism". (His well-known book on "synesthete" Shereshovski has become a Bible for modern researchers who study synesthesia as brain abnormality). Regarding very rare cases of abnormal "co-sensations", which were the symphtoms of either "cerebral arteriosclerosis" or "pregnancy", he mentioned in the same line the "color hearing" of Scriabin and other composers [1]. Maybe he could be pardoned in thinking so, taking into account his profession. But the philosophers sometimes fall into the same error as well.

It appears that the Russians have studied this for quite some time.. and we are only in it's infancy of exploring this phenomena......

another area that is interesting is.......

History of Synesthesia and Synesthesia and the Philosophical Debate on Consciousness

and then explorations of crediting synesthesia with the evolution of language....

Now what we found next was even more amazing. Take the same two synesthetes. Instead of showing them Arabic numbers- actually I should call them Indian numbers but it doesn't matter - Indian/Arabic numbers, you show them Roman numbers, Roman V which looks like a V or a 6. Guess what happens? They say oh I know it's a five but it doesn't look coloured, it's black and white so Roman numbers don't give colours. Now what does that prove? It's very important because it shows it's not the numerical concept that drives the colour but the visual appearance of the Indian/Arabic number and it fits with what I'm saying because the fusiform gyrus represents the visual appearance of numbers and letters and things like that, not the abstract concept of sequence or ordinality. and...

The trends and universals of synaesthetic metaphors are built and evolve in the same manner as for other metaphors, through linguistic and cultural processes; The next step in investigation is to look at synaesthetic metaphors in other languages and cultures: uniformity in patterns across languages might indicate a more biological basis, while divergence would indicate the degree to which low-level, random synaesthesia is mediated by culture. Research is currently underway in Irish and Japanese.

Edited by crystal sage

• 7 years later...

http://www.mindreality.com/seven-senses-all-sense-is-one-sense

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2007 at 11:38 AM, Raptor said:

I see, got ya. :tu:

Providing that the sixth sense is real, then I'd say so. (Whether it is or not is a different matter, but that's for another thread).

For the sake of knowing, it's said that the human body has between 14 and 20 different senses, the exact number depends on how you want to define them, like if the senses of heat and pressure should both be put together (sense of touch) or seperately.

But there are lots of others, such as the sense of balance, body awareness (e.g. if you close your eyes, it doesn't matter how you move, you always know where your limbs are), sense of hunger etc.

(y)  also more than a couple of senses could be cross linked at any time.. :) 

Now what we found next was even more amazing. Take the same two synesthetes. Instead of showing them Arabic numbers- actually I should call them Indian numbers but it doesn't matter - Indian/Arabic numbers, you show them Roman numbers, Roman V which looks like a V or a 6. Guess what happens? They say oh I know it's a five but it doesn't look coloured, it's black and white so Roman numbers don't give colours

What has happened in the last decade with these findings for Synesthesia.. does this hold for all synesthets ?