Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Walson hospital at Fort Dix

d4everman

found this.

I was 18 at the time and serving in the Air Force. As part of the Air Force Military Police, I had to undertake part of my training at Fort Dix, New Jersey. I will never forget what happened one night at that base. Before going into the military, I was part of a close band of friends who had a strong interest in the paranormal. We basically "dabbled" in the occult. It was nothing too serious -- Ouija Boards, seances, table levitation, psychometry, etc. After going into the military, I felt quite removed from "my native element" since I no longer had such contact with these friends at home. This was probably one of the most depressing times in my life. Fort Dix was the last stage in my Security Police training, and there were many things that obviously took my mind off of my friends at home. With all the training that I was attempting to keep up with, it's a wonder that I had any time to really think about anything outside of the military life.

One evening, my squadron had returned from a hard day of field training exercises. We returned to our barracks just in time to clean up and "hit the sack". Our barracks consisted of a two story, multi-roomed building, and each room consisted of enough space for only two occupants. My room was vacant -- except for myself -- because I had not yet been assigned a roommate. I finally got done with putting my things in order at about 11:30 that evening. Going over to my desk lamp, I turned it off and went to my bed (which was opposite the door). I was extremely tired and went to sleep without any problems.

Sometime after having fallen asleep, I was awakened with a feeling of being in the presence of "something evil". It was a "heavy" feeling (almost like having several wool blankets placed over my body). Having awoken on my back, I found that even the slightest movement of my limbs was impossible, and the best I could do was move my eyes. I was terrified. All that I could think to do was to avert my sight from whatever it was that was gaining entry to my room. I turned my sight to the wall on my left and noticed a dim light (which was reflecting off the wall) slowly appear and then disappear. After the light had gone, I heard the scuffle of what seemed to be a couple of tiny creatures quickly walking around on the floor. Not being able to take the suspense for much longer, I turned my eyes to the foot of my bed. My stomach suddenly tightened. I will never forget what I saw. Standing at the foot of my bed were three distinct figures. Although the room was dark, I could see these figures because they seemed to radiate a "darker radiance" of their own. It almost appeared to be a "radiant black mist" that enveloped each one of them.

As I lay there and looked at them, I was able to get a better look at who (or what) was standing at my feet. The three of them were very tall, in fact, I would estimate that they were no less than eight feet in height -- with the tallest one standing in the middle. A dry, bitter cold seemed to radiate from them as they seemed to be whispering something back and forth. I was becoming more and more terrified as I felt that these beings held some form of hostility toward me. The atmosphere in the room was charged with what felt like an "electrostatic tension". Before these "visitors", my room was a warm 80 degrees, but now it seemed almost chillingly cold. The appearance of these three beings seemed to "shimmer" like a heat mirage, and it was at about that point that I fearfully forced my eyes back upon the wall to my left. The next thing that I remember is that the paralysis left my body. The room seemed to be back to the unpleasant 80 degrees and I felt as though I were alone.

Slowly getting up from my bed, I cautiously walked over to the light, turned it on and looked around the room. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I went over to the door and opened it. Walking into the hallway, I went over to the Dorm guard (a person who is chosen to keep watch over the dorm) and asked him if anyone had been through the hallway lately. He looked up from reading his book and -- giving me a questioning look -- said that nobody had been through the dorm since he had begun his watch. He even showed me his log sheets to prove his point. I went back to my room, turned off the light and went back to bed. I didn't know what to think about what had happened, but I sure as heck wasn't going to tell anyone in my squadron what had happened. I was, after all, trying to train in the military -- not trying to get out.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=801958

I was born at Fort Dix in May 1967. I am not sure where but I am sure it was at Walson. I am trying to see if I can get the hospital records (not state records) of my birth parents (father particularly). It would be helpful to know some of you who can lead me in the right direction. And reading these stories about where I was born confirms some feelings I have about myself that I cannot explain. Any insight would be helpful especially the records.

I really don't know, if I can help. This is not only from what I remember in the nine years living at McGuire AFB next to Fort Dix, but of people I became friends with as well. I worked at a couple of retail stores in Burlington and one of the coworkers I befriended was also born at Fort Dix. Now, she told me she was born in the hospital at the time, which were those one story baise trailer barracks looking buildings. I am not sure if that was called Walson, because at the time I lived there, this hospital was still standing, and Walson was around. I do believe the tall building itself was built around the sixties, so it may have been the building in question, that you were born in. The one story trailer looking building was torn down a few years after 1995. The tall building, that I knew as Walson, is also closed, and the built a 'clinic' behind the commissary/Px/Bx. I cannot remember if they named it Walson. Now, as for Hospital records, I don't know how you would get them, unless you call records at Fort Dix information. Since, the first hospital is gone, Walson is empty, and there is a new building now. I think the best bet, is to call Fort Dix records.

• 1 month later...

Please pardon the zombie thread - but I wanted to add my own two cents into this:

Here are the things that I can confirm after my time stationed there in the early 1990s:

1. The "Garden Terrace Ghost". My ex-wife and I saw him on more than one occasion ourselves - long before we had heard the stories that it was a ghost. Blonde kid, jeans, bright red hat, and jean jacket. He would always be walking along the road and then seemingly "disappear" whenever we got close enough with the car headlights. At this point, he was considered by all of us in the neighborhood to be a kid that was up to no good.

2. The sounds of drilling and cadence done near the Doughboy Inn by what sounded like hundreds of soldiers. It only happened at night, and if we went to see what was going on - the area was empty and silent.

3. The 1993 murder-suicide story. I was part of the SPRINT (Special Psychiatric Rapid Intervention Team) team involved in the case. A WWII vet killed his wife with a hammer because he was terrified of going for treatment at Walson, claiming the hospital was possessed. He escaped and got onto McGuire AFB (which adjoins Ft. Dix) with a firearm, was surrounded by Air Force Security, and threatened to kill himself. The head Psychiatrist and I were dispatched to negotiate his surrender. Shortly after arriving and attempting to talk him down for about an hour and a half, he shot and killed himself. The body was taken to Walson Hospital and stored for 2 hours, then removed out the loading dock exit and onto an awaiting ambulance to avoid media coverage. The entire time during the negotiation process, the man was adamant that he would rather die than be treated in a possessed building.

4. The sealed-off basement. I have no idea what was there. Rumors were that it was a research and development area in the late 60s and early 70s. No one knew why it was filled with concrete - and there is absolutely no logical explanation to it. It was not done to strengthen the foundation, as it was not filled all the way up (there's about a 2.5 to 3 foot space between the concrete and the ceiling). It looked as though they pulled cement trucks up and just dumped their loads in as quickly as possible... like to contain radiation (though that is merely speculation on my part).

5. The upper floors from the Mental Health Clinic (the old psych ward) to the top floor were a matter for themselves. Yes - it is true that the elevator would have a mind of it's own. Depending on the time of day, the elevator would simply skip floors - or open halfway between floors. No amount of maintenance checks found anything wrong with it. The lights would go off and on by themselves for no reason. Chairs would fall over by themselves. Doors would close or open by themselves. One time, all alone on the top floor, I felt a hand grab me on the shoulder - even though I was by myself. The internal red "fire" phone in the Mental Health Clinic would receive phone calls from Miramar Naval Air Station (you know, "Top Gun") from personnel that did not exist. The upper floors would be cold enough to see your breath in the Jersey hot summer - even though these floors were not air-conditioned.

6. Several times on Fir Street we saw glowing red eyes near the play area - our cats were terrified to go outside of the house and would pee and cry to come in if they were put just outside the door on our porch.

7. Range Road is also a special place. There were a lot of bodies discovered there in just a couple of years - either skeletons or decomposed bodies - in the swamp and marsh areas. They were always chalked up to "missing soldiers" from the past - but more than one of them were mangled beyond what you would find in a simple death or (as often rumored) a mob hit. I also saw on more than one occasion squads of soldiers patrolling there - even though this area was far from the firing ranges and that it was part of the reservation not to be used for training purposes. They seemed to be definately looking for something. Whether or not this has anything whatsoever to do with the Jersey Devil I cannot really comment on.

All I can say is that I experienced the absolute strangest things in my life in that area that have no logical explanation.

Hi all-I haven't been on here in ages-but I read some of the posts since I posted and I have to tell you a few things. First-they have ripped down all the streets above Fir and put in new privatized housing.Seriously-it looks nice-but I feel creepy up there. I don't get the willies in the old housing. Before they bull dozed the old houses my friend and I would walk our toddlers around up there and speculate about who lived in all the houses.

My dog died last week and we marched off into the woods by Ash Street to bury her-there is a gravel road back there and we found a peacefyl spot. But it seems like everywhere my husband tried to dig there was concrete or bricks in the soil. As far as I know there were never houses there.So anyone know what that was? Weird.

I don't get the creeps in our neighborhood. I have walked around alone at night for exercise and feel no fear at all-even from the living. I also have driven by the end of Cedar where that boys ghost is supposed to be and never seena thing-maybe his "problem" was resolved and he moved on. Or maybe he was just looking out for someone or waiting for them? Or maybe I can't see "ghosts".

The lady next door to me died last summer and left behind 4 kids-and I've never really felt anything of her around. Maybe she didn't hang around.

I will try and get some pictures for you all of Walson-which I found out my high school boyfriend was born there-small world! And it does not have razor wire or anything around it-cars are sometimes parked there.Maybe they use the building for something now? I heard there were Army offices there now. One poster described a building that was fenced etc-thats probably the prison on base.Its pretty close to housing.Looks to be secure.Anyways-will get back in a few days and post some pics.

My dog died last week and we marched off into the woods by Ash Street to bury her-there is a gravel road back there and we found a peacefyl spot. But it seems like everywhere my husband tried to dig there was concrete or bricks in the soil. As far as I know there were never houses there.So anyone know what that was? Weird.

Sorry to hear about your dog!

I know where you're talking about - in that area were buildings in the early 1900s that were bulldozed - apparently that's what you guys found.

I will try and get some pictures for you all of Walson

I know I'd really appreciate some new photos - thank you very much for the offer!

• 10 months later...
Question: Anyone ever hear of Possible hauntings at Walson hospital on fort dix. Iread a newsgroup article once where the person claimed to have seen orbs there. I live on Dix, but the hospital has been closed for some time. Never really been near the place except for passing it. I was wondering if anyone else has more information.

i was transferd to walson army hospital in the late part of 1984 .there was a young service man wearing that same clothing in that area killed during a robbery.some men pulled up in a car and pulled a gun on him and he kept walking.they shot him took his money and left.not sure of too many details as i was in the hospital due to injuries.seemed to have been alot of robberies at the time.the hospital was always abit spooky to all of us in there.i can also vouche for the fact they were testing stuff on people.i met 2 young men in the hospital in robed that said they were injecting them with stuff and such.the lowe3st basement floor was the morgue.the next one up was the cafeteria and baber and a store and such.they gave out crafts and such to keep ya buisy back then.i can also say some of the staff were not there to be nice for sure.there was also an antique weja board that was in the smokeing room.looked like it had been there awhile.something to think about.

• 3 months later...

dane of war: "3. The 1993 murder-suicide story. I was part of the SPRINT (Special Psychiatric Rapid Intervention Team) team involved in the case. A WWII vet killed his wife with a hammer because he was terrified of going for treatment at Walson, claiming the hospital was possessed. He escaped and got onto McGuire AFB (which adjoins Ft. Dix) with a firearm, was surrounded by Air Force Security, and threatened to kill himself. The head Psychiatrist and I were dispatched to negotiate his surrender. Shortly after arriving and attempting to talk him down for about an hour and a half, he shot and killed himself. The body was taken to Walson Hospital and stored for 2 hours, then removed out the loading dock exit and onto an awaiting ambulance to avoid media coverage. The entire time during the negotiation process, the man was adamant that he would rather die than be treated in a possessed building."

Dammit dane! thank you! I was starting to think I was the only man in the world who remembered that story!

Re: range road. Sometime in early 1989 my basic training unit was scheduled to shoot at a range out there (I don't remember which one) but the exercise was cancelled because some NJ national guard troops were doing construction on a nearby range and had 'freaked out' and fled the job site!

No ghosts this time though.........they had hit canisters of mustard gas buried shortly after WW1!

• 3 months later...

Hi All - I first want to let everyone know I don't know what to think by the comments....but want to let you know that I used to live on Mcguire AFB, from 1974 to 1983, we first lived at 3926 D and lated moved to 3808 A, which were both located in Falcon Courts North. The move from 3926 D was due to the base renovating the houses, but before our move, my brother, age 16 (I was 8 yrs old), was riding a moped around the Elementary Schools, (we called them by number at the time). He had his girlfriend on the back and was riding down the hill, approaching school #3 (I believe), the second to last one. Anyway, she jumped off the bike, playing a joke, but ended up breaking her arm and in doing so, called out to my brother "Joey". He turned around to look at her and the moped's front tire went over the curve and caught the wide red poles that were attached to the awnings. The moped fell on top of him and was critically injured. The ambulance arrived and were trying to keep him alive, but he ended up dying at Walson Army Hospital located on Ft. Dix. This was May 27, 1977, at 7:30 pm. The strange thing is he had on Blue Jeans, White t-shirt, a baseball hat (Cincinnati Reds was his team), and he had blonde hair. We moved from Mcguire AFB in 1983 and relocated to Browns Mills. He is buried at a grave site in Pemberton, and our family was told his girlfriend committed suicide, due to guilt, on his grave site on the year anniversary of his death, which would have been May 27, 1978. My mother has always stated he comes around her, however, he never visited during the time we lived in Browns Mill. We moved from Browns Mill to Burlington and then his visits started up again. I have seen my brother one time after his passing, which has made me a believer in ghosts.

I cannot say whether or not this was my brother tying to get to our house in Browns Mills, but my first reaction was "Oh my goodness he was trying to find my Mom".

One last thing, when I was 12 years, I was admitted to Walson for a collapsed lung and spent a week there, but I cannot remember what floor I was on. At night, that place was so scary, I do remember the night staff didn't like to leave the floor and at the time I didn't know why.

I plan on talking with my sister, she joined the Army in 1984 and went through her boot camp at Fort Dix, so I'm going to see if she had any strange experiences while she was there.....I will be in touch.

<b>found this.</b>

I was 18 at the time and serving in the Air Force. As part of the Air Force Military Police, I had to undertake part of my training at Fort Dix, New Jersey. I will never forget what happened one night at that base. Before going into the military, I was part of a close band of friends who had a strong interest in the paranormal. We basically "dabbled" in the occult. It was nothing too serious -- Ouija Boards, seances, table levitation, psychometry, etc. After going into the military, I felt quite removed from "my native element" since I no longer had such contact with these friends at home. This was probably one of the most depressing times in my life. Fort Dix was the last stage in my Security Police training, and there were many things that obviously took my mind off of my friends at home. With all the training that I was attempting to keep up with, it's a wonder that I had any time to really think about anything outside of the military life.

One evening, my squadron had returned from a hard day of field training exercises. We returned to our barracks just in time to clean up and "hit the sack". Our barracks consisted of a two story, multi-roomed building, and each room consisted of enough space for only two occupants. My room was vacant -- except for myself -- because I had not yet been assigned a roommate. I finally got done with putting my things in order at about 11:30 that evening. Going over to my desk lamp, I turned it off and went to my bed (which was opposite the door). I was extremely tired and went to sleep without any problems.

Sometime after having fallen asleep, I was awakened with a feeling of being in the presence of "something evil". It was a "heavy" feeling (almost like having several wool blankets placed over my body). Having awoken on my back, I found that even the slightest movement of my limbs was impossible, and the best I could do was move my eyes. I was terrified. All that I could think to do was to avert my sight from whatever it was that was gaining entry to my room. I turned my sight to the wall on my left and noticed a dim light (which was reflecting off the wall) slowly appear and then disappear. After the light had gone, I heard the scuffle of what seemed to be a couple of tiny creatures quickly walking around on the floor. Not being able to take the suspense for much longer, I turned my eyes to the foot of my bed. My stomach suddenly tightened. I will never forget what I saw. Standing at the foot of my bed were three distinct figures. Although the room was dark, I could see these figures because they seemed to radiate a "darker radiance" of their own. It almost appeared to be a "radiant black mist" that enveloped each one of them.

As I lay there and looked at them, I was able to get a better look at who (or what) was standing at my feet. The three of them were very tall, in fact, I would estimate that they were no less than eight feet in height -- with the tallest one standing in the middle. A dry, bitter cold seemed to radiate from them as they seemed to be whispering something back and forth. I was becoming more and more terrified as I felt that these beings held some form of hostility toward me. The atmosphere in the room was charged with what felt like an "electrostatic tension". Before these "visitors", my room was a warm 80 degrees, but now it seemed almost chillingly cold. The appearance of these three beings seemed to "shimmer" like a heat mirage, and it was at about that point that I fearfully forced my eyes back upon the wall to my left. The next thing that I remember is that the paralysis left my body. The room seemed to be back to the unpleasant 80 degrees and I felt as though I were alone.

Slowly getting up from my bed, I cautiously walked over to the light, turned it on and looked around the room. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I went over to the door and opened it. Walking into the hallway, I went over to the Dorm guard (a person who is chosen to keep watch over the dorm) and asked him if anyone had been through the hallway lately. He looked up from reading his book and -- giving me a questioning look -- said that nobody had been through the dorm since he had begun his watch. He even showed me his log sheets to prove his point. I went back to my room, turned off the light and went back to bed. I didn't know what to think about what had happened, but I sure as heck wasn't going to tell anyone in my squadron what had happened. I was, after all, trying to train in the military -- not trying to get out.

<a href="http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=801958" target="_blank">http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=801958</a>

Even though this is a very old topic, this story caught my attention...I've experienced this a few times (no weird visions though), when I suddenly wake up feeling a weird presence (can't really describe it) and I can't move anything except my eyes, but the worst part is that I seem to be able to think clearly, so usually I assume it's just because I suddenly woke up and give up on trying to move, then after a few minutes I'm fine. I've never experienced any paranormal activity, always found the subject quite interesting but never got much into it...has anyone else experienced this? personally I think it has nothing to do with ghosts or other presences but it feels really weird.

Hi All - I first want to let everyone know I don't know what to think by the comments....but want to let you know that I used to live on Mcguire AFB, from 1974 to 1983, we first lived at 3926 D and lated moved to 3808 A, which were both located in Falcon Courts North. The move from 3926 D was due to the base renovating the houses, but before our move, my brother, age 16 (I was 8 yrs old), was riding a moped around the Elementary Schools, (we called them by number at the time). He had his girlfriend on the back and was riding down the hill, approaching school #3 (I believe), the second to last one. Anyway, she jumped off the bike, playing a joke, but ended up breaking her arm and in doing so, called out to my brother "Joey". He turned around to look at her and the moped's front tire went over the curve and caught the wide red poles that were attached to the awnings. The moped fell on top of him and was critically injured. The ambulance arrived and were trying to keep him alive, but he ended up dying at Walson Army Hospital located on Ft. Dix. This was May 27, 1977, at 7:30 pm. The strange thing is he had on Blue Jeans, White t-shirt, a baseball hat (Cincinnati Reds was his team), and he had blonde hair.

Do you remember him wearing the blue jeans jacket?

Wow, I never thought there would be more on this, but I'm blown away! I just happened to Google Walson and this thread came up, being nostalchic, I checked it out and saw more info. Wow!

• 1 month later...

hello my name is jessie i currently live on joint base mcguire fort dix. for those of you who dont know walson hospital has been closed down. and will be reopening soon. the building has been said to be closed due to being haunted. they are currently looking into having paranormal investagitors look into it, to decide if they building should be renovated or torn down and rebuilt all together.

some of the doors in walson hospital are chained from the inside, and not from the outside. people claim and i too believe that there is some unexplainable things still happening there. windows have said to just break out of nowhere. if you get close enough you can hear screaming and crying. it is said that the ghost of a mental patient lingers in the area, after being able to commit suicide. when you drive by at night you can sometimes see lights on inside. shadows in the building.

i can go and take pictures of them and post them here.

if you have any other questions about the base or walson hospital feel free to email me and i will write back as soon as possible

*Email Removed*

Edited by SupeRgirl
It's not a great idea to post your email on a public forum. You can invite members to email you via your profile or send you a PM.

Jessie

I was a Military Police Officer in the early 80's with the 532MP Co. I have been all over Fort Dix including the Hospital many times. Never saw anything that would be considered a “Haunting”. There was an older wooden hospital that was falling down, it gave some of the guys the creeps. There was even a sand pit that had parts of humans (small parts) , it was deep in the ranges, the Biological Disposal Area or something like that. A blown up nuke missile base (BORMAC) where a missile engine lite off. A Vietnam type village, the “Negro Troop” section on Range road and a bunch of old wooden churches and other WWII buildings we had to keep the kids out of. That was about it, sorry nothing weird. Not saying there isn’t anything strange going on now. I just never responded to nor heard of anything and I was there for two years, plus basic training D-2-3.

Chet

• 2 weeks later...

hello my name is jessie i currently live on joint base mcguire fort dix. for those of you who dont know walson hospital has been closed down. and will be reopening soon. the building has been said to be closed due to being haunted. they are currently looking into having paranormal investagitors look into it, to decide if they building should be renovated or torn down and rebuilt all together.

some of the doors in walson hospital are chained from the inside, and not from the outside. people claim and i too believe that there is some unexplainable things still happening there. windows have said to just break out of nowhere. if you get close enough you can hear screaming and crying. it is said that the ghost of a mental patient lingers in the area, after being able to commit suicide. when you drive by at night you can sometimes see lights on inside. shadows in the building.

i can go and take pictures of them and post them here.

if you have any other questions about the base or walson hospital feel free to email me and i will write back as soon as possible

*Email Removed*

From what I understand, the hospital closed down, when I was there, which was in the 90's to the early 2000's. That was when the new clinic was built. I wonder if you meant it's closed down from training exercises and stuff. Unless you meant the clinic, which I wonder. Anyways, where did you hear about the doors being chained from the inside? The experiences I have had when it was closed down as a hospital, is when I drove by it at night, and the fourth and fifth floors would all of their lights on and their shades up, while all the other floors were shaded and dark. Again, when it was open as a hospital, I hadn't had much of any experiences, but I have felt like things weren't right at times. I find it interesting that they actually figure that it might be haunted, and that they are looking into having PI's investigate the place. I would really like the 'ghost hunters' or 'ghost lab' to investigate the place. I would really love to see what they find.

Jessie

I was a Military Police Officer in the early 80's with the 532MP Co. I have been all over Fort Dix including the Hospital many times. Never saw anything that would be considered a "Haunting". There was an older wooden hospital that was falling down, it gave some of the guys the creeps. There was even a sand pit that had parts of humans (small parts) , it was deep in the ranges, the Biological Disposal Area or something like that. A blown up nuke missile base (BORMAC) where a missile engine lite off. A Vietnam type village, the "Negro Troop" section on Range road and a bunch of old wooden churches and other WWII buildings we had to keep the kids out of. That was about it, sorry nothing weird. Not saying there isn't anything strange going on now. I just never responded to nor heard of anything and I was there for two years, plus basic training D-2-3.

Chet

I also remember that building. That was the place my work mate/good friend told me where she was born. I remember it being torn down, and then seeing the blank lot afterwards. I didn't realize that place too had rumors of being haunted. That also, I find very interesting.

• 6 months later...

My husband was stationed at Ft. Dix in 1992-1993 and worked at Walson in the ortho clinic. I don't remember having any weird experiences there other than feeling creeped out when being there. It had a very haunted feeling about it and I guess now I know why. I never knew about the basement being filled with cement. I did however hear that there was some kind of hush-hush reason why there was no natal unit any longer.

As for the base housing, we lived on Fir Street. I had no idea about the ghost of the boy but the play area was not far from where we lived. The strangest thing that happened while we were there was that I scheduled myself to have a tubal ligation and the day of my surgery I stepped outside to go for the operation and all the trees in our immediate area were so filled with black birds that their noise was litteraly deafening. The trees looked black and alive, moving and screetching. It terrified me because I had recently read a Stephen King book where black birds showed up like that to take away the spirit of the newly deceased and since I was going under the knife that day it was not comforting. I almost canceled. Maybe they were trying to tell me something.

I did have my surgery at Walson. Can't remember what floor, but had I known then what I know now, coupled with the bird thing, I wouldn't have had that surgery.

I'd love to see pictures too. I know it's been a while since that offer was posted. But if anyone has any pictures of the housing on Fir Street, that's what I was looking for when I stumbled upon this site.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread presented me with much need information, thanks to all posters who have shared their experiences, It's August of 2010, I am stationed on JB MDL and live in the Garden Terrace area of Dix. I am a USAF SF, so our department on the Dix side of the house, I have driven by Walson numerous times, and down all the roads mentioned previously. I want to take a walk down Cedar tonight and see if there is anything out there. I am a true believer in the super natural as I experienced it at the abandoned mental institution back home. I will go out and take pictures of the building as it stands now for all the Vets who served here years ago. I cannot say I have ever experienced anything yet at Walson but I have driven by it and parked in its parking lots while on patrol, and you can just sense there is something there.

I only have one thing to share about it, and it comes from one of the DOD officers I work with, and that is one night he responded to Walson for an alarm activation, building abandoned no one on site. Had to make entry and check out all the floor and rooms to make sure no one was around the building, he wasnt very detailed about what had happened but he did mention while being on the 5th floor his radio came across with the white noise, after checking the floors he went back down to the 1st floor, while standing infront of the elevator, it began to come down to his location, now, knowing there was no one inside, he drew his weapon and pointed it at the door, when the doors opened, there was no one inside, but could feel an extremely cold temperature coming from inside. I will ask around my Department and see if any of the other Police Officers i work with have had any encounters while inside of the building.

Again thank you to everyone who had something to say about Fort Dix and Walson Hospital.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though this is a very old topic, this story caught my attention...I've experienced this a few times (no weird visions though), when I suddenly wake up feeling a weird presence (can't really describe it) and I can't move anything except my eyes, but the worst part is that I seem to be able to think clearly, so usually I assume it's just because I suddenly woke up and give up on trying to move, then after a few minutes I'm fine. I've never experienced any paranormal activity, always found the subject quite interesting but never got much into it...has anyone else experienced this? personally I think it has nothing to do with ghosts or other presences but it feels really weird.

It's sleep paralysis. When we go into REM sleep our bodies slip into this state so that we don't act out our dreams. We all know that this doesn't always work though and last time I did any research on it doctors weren't sure why we don't always do that. It's not uncommon for people to wake up before their muscles regain mobility but still being fully aware. When this occurs many people panic. With good reason! Some even 'hallucinate' as their minds run wild wonder what is 'holding them down' as I suspect happened in the story you are talking about. That's actually what I thought when reading it before coming to your comment. I'm a believer but that poor man's experience screamed awakening during sleep paralysis.

And as far as Geronimo, I'm currently at Ft. Sill and just visited his grave yesterday. Nothing strange happened, I didn't even get any feelings but after thinking about an Indian buried in an english man's army post the more I thought how upset he probably was over his resting place. I didn't know anything about him before this, not even that he was buried here! I didn't have an offering of tobacco for him (which I've been told you are supposed to bring). I told my husband I needed to take him some back. He plagued my dreams though(and was very nice) and I woke up feeling somewhat connected to him. We'll see where that leads.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband was stationed at Ft. Dix in 1992-1993 and worked at Walson in the ortho clinic. I don't remember having any weird experiences there other than feeling creeped out when being there. It had a very haunted feeling about it and I guess now I know why. I never knew about the basement being filled with cement. I did however hear that there was some kind of hush-hush reason why there was no natal unit any longer.

From what I heard, there were some infant deaths during births, and that is why they had to get rid of the natal unit.

As for the base housing, we lived on Fir Street. I had no idea about the ghost of the boy but the play area was not far from where we lived. The strangest thing that happened while we were there was that I scheduled myself to have a tubal ligation and the day of my surgery I stepped outside to go for the operation and all the trees in our immediate area were so filled with black birds that their noise was litteraly deafening. The trees looked black and alive, moving and screetching. It terrified me because I had recently read a Stephen King book where black birds showed up like that to take away the spirit of the newly deceased and since I was going under the knife that day it was not comforting. I almost canceled. Maybe they were trying to tell me something.

Even though I lived on McGuire housing, I remember those numerous birds all the time. I thought they were native of the area and usually did that. If that kind of reassures you.

I did have my surgery at Walson. Can't remember what floor, but had I known then what I know now, coupled with the bird thing, I wouldn't have had that surgery.

I heard so many horrors stories of when Walson was open. In fact, when I went in for a cyst in my wrist, they gave me a mother of a cast to put on it, and it freaked out the people I worked with at that time. A friend of mine was p***ed, because of having to get someone from his squadron sent down to a proper hospital down south, because of misdiagnosing the guy and nearly killing him. In fact, when I had my son, I ended up getting him to see a civ doc off base, I couldn't trust the place.

I want to take a walk down Cedar tonight and see if there is anything out there.

I would be very curious of what you find. Very curious

This is one great topic. Good stories of similar experiences and even if I cannot verify locations now (on mobile phone) descriptions sound really genuine. Also noteworthy are similar experiences. Also setting about military base, haunted hospital, mental asylum, graveyard, dead points... All those cliches of haunted places are introduced.

Don't take me as an offensive person, but there are few thoughts I am eager to share.

1. I am really interested about the high death rate of infants. What is the official reason for that?

2. Similarities in experiences are astounding and every now and then I got feeling of shared storytelling where someone adds a new twist and others play along. Reminds me too much of Candle Cove at some points.

3. High rate of people who were working at the location, were assigned there or lived/live there. Also many people who were pregnant but for obvious reasons did not deliver their baby at the location in question. The truth behind these people could easily be verified, but few are willing to share documents of their assignment for example in public as they contain personal information.

4. This follows directly my third thought/point. Many new registered users sharing their experience in short time with only one post ever or a few posts in this topic. I assume there are genuine tellers here, but how can one be sure there one-post-wonders aren't playing the game along? I'd love to see IP addresses (what is impossible, I know).

5. Last thing what bothers me is those people who are from military or work ie. in jobs I would assume needs correct spelling. Misplaced .'s, not using capital letters, typo's and such things really bother me. Some people claim that in internet you don't need to write correctly... but meh. One thing I have noticed in several occasions that those police officers, military staff, flight controllers etc who cannot write are one-post-wonders.

Altogether, great and interesting topic. Reminds me greatly of that haunted sick hospital what is not used anymore. Cannot recall it's name at the moment. Wawery Hill was it?

This is one great topic. Good stories of similar experiences and even if I cannot verify locations now (on mobile phone) descriptions sound really genuine. Also noteworthy are similar experiences. Also setting about military base, haunted hospital, mental asylum, graveyard, dead points... All those cliches of haunted places are introduced.

Don't take me as an offensive person, but there are few thoughts I am eager to share.

1. I am really interested about the high death rate of infants. What is the official reason for that?

2. Similarities in experiences are astounding and every now and then I got feeling of shared storytelling where someone adds a new twist and others play along. Reminds me too much of Candle Cove at some points.

3. High rate of people who were working at the location, were assigned there or lived/live there. Also many people who were pregnant but for obvious reasons did not deliver their baby at the location in question. The truth behind these people could easily be verified, but few are willing to share documents of their assignment for example in public as they contain personal information.

4. This follows directly my third thought/point. Many new registered users sharing their experience in short time with only one post ever or a few posts in this topic. I assume there are genuine tellers here, but how can one be sure there one-post-wonders aren't playing the game along? I'd love to see IP addresses (what is impossible, I know).

5. Last thing what bothers me is those people who are from military or work ie. in jobs I would assume needs correct spelling. Misplaced .'s, not using capital letters, typo's and such things really bother me. Some people claim that in internet you don't need to write correctly... but meh. One thing I have noticed in several occasions that those police officers, military staff, flight controllers etc who cannot write are one-post-wonders.

Altogether, great and interesting topic. Reminds me greatly of that haunted sick hospital what is not used anymore. Cannot recall it's name at the moment. Wawery Hill was it?

I can only speak for myself. I had only one post because I was just thinking about my time at Ft. Dix one day and did a search trying to find pictures of the housing in that area to see if I could show my kids where we lived. I found this forum through that search and was fascinated with the stories. I think the fact that there are one-posters on here is indicative of the same thing; people who were looking for information on the web and stumbled across this so they decided to input their stories.

The hospital that you speak of at the end of your post is Waverly Hills. It's one of the most haunted locations in America in my opinion, not that I'm an expert. But I do like the paranormal and follow it with a healthy dose of skeptical perspective. I always look for the logical explanation first, but it's been my experience that sometimes there just isn't one. There's a definite draw to Ft. Dix for me, unlike many other places I've lived with the military. I tend to be drawn to places where there is unexplained energies or happenings, so it's not surprising that Ft. Dix has a haunted history. I've also been to Lakehurst Naval Air Station. I never knew at the time that it was the site of the Hindenburg crash. I was young and ignorant. But the moment we entered the area of where the crash happened and the old building that was used as a triage station, I felt it! It was later that I learned what happened there and that there are many reports by military personnel that the area is haunted.

@Ceridwen999:

Good that you didn't shoot me right away. I am sceptic, but interested one. When ever I hear or read stories, I try to find first those suspicious parts before I even concider to start believe. Opposed to those who believe every cabbage they are feed. Your reply was more than good, and I appreciate that personally very much.

As I said, even if there are few things that bug me in this story, the story itself is really fascinating and interesting. That I cannot deny.

@Ceridwen999:

Good that you didn't shoot me right away. I am sceptic, but interested one. When ever I hear or read stories, I try to find first those suspicious parts before I even concider to start believe. Opposed to those who believe every cabbage they are feed. Your reply was more than good, and I appreciate that personally very much.

As I said, even if there are few things that bug me in this story, the story itself is really fascinating and interesting. That I cannot deny.

I would never shoot someone down for being skeptical. I think it's needed in this area of research and I'm skeptical of a lot of things myself. I'm always leery of wild ghost stories that sound too fantastical to be true. I will look for inconsistencies and consider possible explanations before I believe that a story is truly a paranormal one. And I think a lot of the people who's stories seem really out there are maybe not always trying to pull your leg, but they get so wrapped up in the excitement of having an experience that their memories create a little flourishment.

I do believe there's something going on at Ft. Dix, and particularly the hospital. I'd love to go back for a visit sometime.

This is a fascinating thread, some really spooky accounts here!

On a more general note: from what I've read, it does seem that many hospitals have long been associated with ghost stories, for obvious reasons I guess. There are certainly quite a few accounts of apparitions and poltergeist activity from various hospitals in my city (London) - and this appears to be the case in most urban areas, particularly when the hospitals in question have a long history, or, as in this case, are associated with the military.

I would certainly be interested to see if any more evidence turns up in this particular case...

• 1 month later...

I heard so many horrors stories of when Walson was open. In fact, when I went in for a cyst in my wrist, they gave me a mother of a cast to put on it, and it freaked out the people I worked with at that time. A friend of mine was p***ed, because of having to get someone from his squadron sent down to a proper hospital down south, because of misdiagnosing the guy and nearly killing him. In fact, when I had my son, I ended up getting him to see a civ doc off base, I couldn't trust the place.

My reply:

I had my tonsils taken out there in 1980 and was seen once for possible broken bones a couple years later. I will tell you that my stay there was anything but delightful. Horror stories....yes, I'd say so.

However, due to 9-11 and all bases going to full alert again, checking every last crediental to enter the base, I'd say that anyone wanting to check out Walson Army Hospital is pretty much out of luck. Also, I have a hard time believing that the shirts at the top would allow civies or military personnel to do a paranormal investigation.

I'm glad to hear it had been closed down. I definitely do not have any fond memories of that place. And yes, over and above incompetence and lack of giving a hoot about the patients, there was definitely an eerie feeling to it all those years ago.

Is there any way for a PI to get in there for a night or two? Someone said the top floors are not in use. It sounds like a place I might want to visit.

Since 9-11, All bases regardless of branches of military service have been closed. Unless you have credientials that states you have business there -active military personnel, family members using the PX/BX, hospital, etc., you will probably be denied access. Also, the military doesn't look to kindly on "haunted" places, especially on post and would most likely deny access just for that reason alone.

Sorry