Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Good Old Fashion Bible-Ban

Beckys_Mom

The University of Edinburgh in Scotland is planning to ban Bibles from its student residence halls. This was in response to student protests that the Good Book is discriminating towards non-Christians. Last year, the school banned prayer at graduation ceremonies.

This of course triggered massive protests by Christians all over Scotland. Revival FM, a local Christian radio station, called the proposed ban discriminating against Christians. Ian Dunlop, chairman of the station declares that this ban…

flies in the face of everything that we stand for here in the U.K. as a nation standing for freedom and tolerance.

Now on the surface this does indeed appear to be potentially discriminatory towards Christianity. But upon closer inspection, the school isn’t really banning Bibles, just the placement of Bibles by the University in the rooms of new students.

This issue, to me at least, seems like a very simple matter. It is not the University’s job to purchase and distribute Bibles to persons who may or may not be Christian. Hell, why don’t they also provide students with free copies of their textbooks :) By supplying Bibles, and not other religious texts, the school is in fact discriminating towards people of other faiths. They are imposing Christianity on its students.

Source - http://religiousfreaks.com/

--------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe in the bible myself...but it wouldn't bother me if i went to that UNI...as long as people didn't cause me any greif over it..I'd be ok with it...The bible isn't doing the harm..its the readers that do... :blink:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• zandore

• Imaginary Friend

• IamsSon

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find BM

Now on the surface this does indeed appear to be potentially discriminatory towards Christianity. But upon closer inspection, the school isn’t really banning Bibles, just the placement of Bibles by the University in the rooms of new students.

If only they (Ian Dunlop and the staff at Revival FM) would read someting besides the Bible.

Hell, why don’t they also provide students with free copies of their textbooks :) By supplying Bibles, and not other religious texts, the school is in fact discriminating towards people of other faiths. They are imposing Christianity on its students.

Or supply religious texts of other faiths. :tu:

Sounds fair to me. I've never understood why Bible get placed in hotels and dorms anyway. There's never been any at any motel I've stayed at.

Though here's a thought - why not put a copy on the bookshelf of every Holy Text associated with the 120 or so countries represented at the university :D That'd provide some great holiday reading and might even raise awareness of other people's beliefs.

Sounds like the fair thing to do. Why is a university using funds to purchase Bibles which will most likely go unread anyway. The only other option would be to stock each new students room with the mjor writings of every major religion and or major thought so as not to leave out the deists and atheists. The cost of that would be prohibitive.

I'm sure that at the time this tradition began, the majority of students came from chrsitian backgrounds, had little or no money with which to purchase a Bible and would have appreciated it. That is no longer reality and the university can, I'm sure use the funds for something else.

Ya the protestors are jumping the gun on this one. I say give them a coupon for the campus bookstore. People could use it for text books and if someone wants to buy a bible that bad well go ahead.

Keep there bible fund money for new students, instead of going somewhere else.

Very fair! It's presumptious in the first place to place bibles in student rooms. How would one dare imagine every student attending is christian? It's not to say christian students are now forbidden to bring bibles with them to college, it's stating a new policy that the Uni. will not pay the expense to purchase and distribute bibles to dorm rooms.

As a side note: I was fascinated by the reply in that OP link about the flight attendant asking him to cease his prayers or face having to "leave" the plane, when a hasidic jewish Rabbi was quietly praying during a turbulent taxi down the runway, because he was making the other passengers nervous. Just a little ignorant and racist, they couldn't tell he wasn't a Muslim at first. Then when they discovered he was a Rabbi, they were all apologetic. What if he had been a Muslim? Can't I see an air marshal with his service revolver at the guys head already!?

And Leave? Yes! By all means show him the door, on a plane taxing down the runway! :blink: It's amazing how the terrorists on and post-911 have succeeded in their mission to destroy their enemies in this way. The actions of select psychopaths that made the news for their evil against innocent people, have accomplished the installation of terror in the minds of everyone on Earth, at the mere thought of a muslim in their presence. All that paranoia running rampant and projecting what ill fate awaits. Just goes to show, zealot muslims will not hesitate to slaughter their own people , in their zeal and in that they've also condemned their own people on sight, because people indict the innocent as potential terrorists, for the actions of what amounts to a few, relative to their global population. Hell of a strategy! Suicide indeed.

Makes, sense the protestors shouldn't be doing so, they can buy their own Bibles. No need to have the school do it. It's kinda unfair, I mean a Muslim might want a copy of the Koran there and it's not. The only thing is though, The Bible is cheaper than the Koran, at least at the bookstores I shop at.

Man, where are all the mindless fundametalists when you need to get a good throw down argument going?

Probably still in recovery after messing with the pagans celebrating the full moon on Thursday.

:lol::rofl:

Makes, sense the protestors shouldn't be doing so, they can buy their own Bibles. No need to have the school do it. It's kinda unfair, I mean a Muslim might want a copy of the Koran there and it's not. The only thing is though, The Bible is cheaper than the Koran, at least at the bookstores I shop at.

the bible is cheap eh??

the bible is cheap eh??

Bites tongue :cry:

Bites tongue :cry:

:w00t: ha ha ha LOL

Thanks alot :angry:

:P

Personally, i don't really see the point in banning it... I think it is good to study it as a religious manuscript... I think that by banning it, the education system becomes more like the french... Where you don't have any religious studies at all... which is a pity, because it's good to learn about other cultures and religions... and as BM pointed out in another thread i know F.A. about catholicism... but i can't find out more about it... because i'd get into trouble for doing so

Personally, i don't really see the point in banning it... I think it is good to study it as a religious manuscript... I think that by banning it, the education system becomes more like the french... Where you don't have any religious studies at all... which is a pity, because it's good to learn about other cultures and religions... and as BM pointed out in another thread i know F.A. about catholicism... but i can't find out more about it... because i'd get into trouble for doing so

Yea but you are quick to rant about them ^_^

Yea but you are quick to rant about them ^_^

yep... the curse of being brought up as an atheist... I never said what i beleive is perfect

yep... the curse of being brought up as an atheist... I never said what i beleive is perfect

Fair enough

The students could always take the free bibles and send them to Texas. Sounds like a good deal to me. :devil:

The point of the OP was that the university is buying them and putting them in student rooms. Not that people can't have their own bibles if they want them. Just don't assume every new student wants one.

I took a religious studies course in university and a good friend of mine at the time was majoring in it. Made for some interesting discourse at 3am when we were supposed to be sleeping but were out having coffee and Robin's Donuts instead....