Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sea Narfs/Madame Narf

50cents222

Hey guys, i just signed up, been reading this site for a looooong time and figured i'd join! unfortunately i dont have any tales to tell you, but i was curious about one thing.

Was not sure if this was the right forum to put it, wether it be a myth/legend or an urban legend but last night i watched the movie "Lady In The Water" i did a search and it doesn't seem anyone else has done a thread on this.

I got curious as to wether this was actually a well known tale/story w/e i found it really interesting!

if anyone has any info, and if its the same as the movie or not.. i'd be really pleased to find out :)

Thanks guys

Take care

Welcome to UM. Sorry I can't comment on the movie, didn't watch it. Have you tried to search for it on the web. Would be terrific if you get some hits. :tu:

Yep, the story and mythology behind it were made up for the movie. As has been said, however, there are numerous stories of mysterious creatures in the water, whether malevolent or benign.

Off the top of my head, there are the aforementioned water nymphs, as well as the Japanese kappa, the latter of which is evil, or more accurately, mischievous. I must admit I only got 10 minutes into the movie before I was too bored to watch it anymore, but I think the actual lady in the water is quite akin to a water nymph.

Not to be confused with a nympho. ;)

Edited by angrycrustacean

I bet you had to Wiki that word ac :P

I think there is some mythology on nymphs almost in every ancient civilisation. Although, Im not sure if they are called nymphs everywhere.

Although, Im not sure if they are called nymphs everywhere.

No, seeing as nymph is a Greek word. The nymphs in question are actually a subphylum, if you will, of the entire nymph race or species, such as Dryads and Naiads. The latter are nymphs of freshwater, and are further subdivided into classes depending on which body of fresh water they inhabit or guard.

• 4 years later...

hello, I to watched 'Lady in the water'. It was like a homecoming for me. You see I am swedish and viking blood runs though my viens. I did a BING search spelling 'nerf' betraying something in me telling me to spell it 'nerph'. NERF gave me your wonderious website. But NERPH gave me> Wikipedia> Norse Mythology. Supernatural beings of Norse Pagans prior to Christianization of Scandinvia. Just a few months ao I felt those 'pins & needles' and the look on the other person's face I believe felt the same. I flounder for months what uch a sensation meant. Now I know. I felt so alon not knowing who to mention to of those 'pins & needles' now I am comfortable withn myself and greeting each next step as another adventure.

• Like 1

Hi UM forum i am also a newb here, however i do know of one water related spirit, the only reason i know this is cos its scottish lol

Kelpie

A water spirit of Scottish folklore who seduces men to there death, typically taking the form of a demonic horse when on land, reputed to delight in the drowning of travelers

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Watching a old cartoon(Alf 1989)  mentioned a narf.it was a creature in the sea.barfs have been mentioned in earlier things before movie lady in the water.but hard to find more on it due to the movie though.was lucky heard it in cartoon 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, rashore said:

Wow, necro narfs. I don't think that M Night guy has made a movie in a couple years, has he?

I think he did that Split with James McAvoy.