Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When i was a kid i found a dinosaur footprint

EnglishArcher

I use to live by the sea in Hastings on the south coast of England, i must of been 8-9 years old when i discoverd a dinosaur footprint. When the tide was out i would sometimes go out walking on to the rocks. One day walking on rocks i found a perfect 3 toed footprint which was imbedded into the rock. I cant remeber the exact size as it was ages ago, but it was big enough for my small hand to fit in. In exitment i ran back to my mum and dad and told them what i saw, they never believed me and fault i was making it up. Being a kid i never even recorded where i found it, so i never did find it again. :(

That was the end of the story, as no one believed me so i just let it go. I would sometimes think about the footprint and i wonderd if it was realy a dinosaur footprint. I was curious becuase this rock is underwater most of the time, so surley the elements of the sea would of washed it away after millions of years.

I'm now in my 20's and found this interesting site not so long ago, after reading about fossils in Hastings. I now know that it must of definatly been a dinosaur footprint as this area was a river delta system in the Early Cretaceous period. :D

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/Hastings.htm

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EnglishArcher

• frogfish

• Tooth_and_Claw

• the Shadamaun

where u live ill b right over and well find it :tu:

He lives in london :lol:

Thanks for the reply, after reading my post i thought how silly and insignifenct this is and why i posted about my find in the first place. :blush:

Are dinosaur footprints imbedded into rocks which are coverd by the sea a commen find?.

I live in south east London, i hope you have a good underwater rock scanner, when i was out on the rocks it may of been a very low tide. :D

Are dinosaur footprints imbedded into rocks which are coverd by the sea a commen find

Depends whether that once sediment was walked over by dinos...Did you find just one lone print or a track of them?

It was just the one print i found on the rock pools, i done a bit more searching on the web about the area.

"As the sands and clays that make up our coast were land down in riverine and estuarine deposits millions of years ago when dinosaurs walked the planet these rocks are full of dinosaur fossils and the fossils of other animals and plants that lived at the same time as the dinosaurs. The cliffs from Hastings to Pett Beach are one of only a handful of sites around the world that have produced early cretaceous mammal fossils. Another feature of the coast here are dinosaur footprints that have been preserved in the sandstone that is exposed at low tide. They can be difficult to find and can only be seen if the overlying sand and mud has been washed away by the tide."

user posted image

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame they didn't believe you. That is a remarkable find for a child. This isn't a silly posting. I really think you might be a little disappointed about the reaction you got back then. Let me be the first the congratulate you on a terrific discovery! Isn't it neat to know that you put your hand into a foot print of something that walked on that beach millions of years ago? :)

I think all kids are fascinated with dinosaurs. I remember running home with a little bone I found while I was playing outside. I was convinced I had found a dinosaur bone and ran to my room to check one of my books from the museum. When I thought I fugured out what it was, I showed my mom. It turned out it was a chicken bone someone threw out (probably from one of the picnic tables right next to the playground), but it was still thrilling nonetheless

Thats amazing.

I remember when my Science teacher found the partial remaints of a Diprotodon on her property (she had a large farm)

Like all kids i was Dinosaur crazy and while this wasn't REALLY a dino it was still amazingly exciting (and at 6 i didn't really know the differrence between a Diprotodon and a Dino). I remember the excitement of the entire school as we all went to her farm wanting to help "find more dino bones" and her telling us in rather strong terms that she didn't want us digging up her backyard.

Anyway good for you for finding this footprint (and bad luck for losing it again)

It must have been very exciting.

Edited by AtlantisRises