Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Camels Cast a Large Shadow

girty1600

user posted image

This is a photo of camel shadows.... Look closely and you might see the camels.

This starkly beautiful overhead image of shadows cast by a caravan of camels trekking across desert sands is the work of photographer George Steinmetz, whose work has been featured on the cover of National Geographic and within the pages of many other magazines devoted to news, travel, and the sciences. As described on his web site, Mr. Steinmetz is "Best known for his exploration and science photography [as he] sets out to reveal the few remaining secrets in our world today: remote deserts, obscure cultures, new developments in science and technology," and (as exemplified by the image displayed above):

His latest passion is photographing the world's deserts while piloting a motorized paraglider. This experimental aircraft provides him with a unique physical perspective over remote places that are inaccessible by conventional aircraft.

This particular image (as indicated by the logo visible in the upper right-hand corner) came from the Turkish version of National Geographic, used in conjunction with a February 2005 article about deserts. Similar camel photos grace the opening page and Explorations section of George Steinmetz's web site.

link

Edited by girty1600

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• girty1600

• Picturesque Orion

• thunder paws

Wow, that's awesome! Takes a little bit to figure out what you're looking at though, it's almost an optical illusion.

Oh, and don't hot link from snopes. They don't like it, as you can see.

Whoops. Edited; hosted via imageshack.

It was hard for me to figure out what vantage from wich the picture was taken.

It is a bird's-eye-view from directly above. Amazing.

• 1 month later...

i came across this picture a while back and i had to look to see that the camels were the white lines, this is an amazing picture! as angrycrustacean says its almost like one of those optical illusions you get.

Wow...very breathtaking. No surpise though, that his work is featured in National Geographic. That magazine has some of the best shots of nature and people I've ever seen.