Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New mass extinction crater found

UM-Bot

Image credit: NASA
Image credit: NASA
What appears to be a 480km-wide (300 miles) crater has been detected under the East Antarctic Ice Sheet. The scientists behind the discovery say it could have been made by a massive meteorite strike 250 million years ago.

The feature at Wilkes Land was found by Nasa satellites that are mapping subtle differences in the Earth's gravity.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UtahRaptor

• frogfish

• Celumnaz

• Bigfoot_Is_Real

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

makes more sense to me than a single impact doing it.

"There is something fascinating about science.

One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture

out of such a trifling investment of fact."

Mark Twain.

This probably played a role in the Permian extinction, as something on a whole grand scale happened to kill 95% of the worlds species. This might of been the ignition...

We know the siberian fire pits erupted at that time, possibly increasing the world's temperature by as much as 15 degrees C.

Edited by frogfish

this isn't really new I heard of it about 2 months ago but heres its location

post-27975-1158100118.jpg

sooo this is our first proof of what? killing some life down south? those many years ago, where were these countries located in vicinity to the others tho? close enough to kill 95% of life? hot damn! lets find another and shoot the next one comin

sooo this is our first proof of what? killing some life down south? those many years ago, where were these countries located in vicinity to the others tho? close enough to kill 95% of life? hot damn! lets find another and shoot the next one comin

Imagine the firepower needed to blow up a 300 miles wide meteor! :ph34r: I don't think any country has that kind of force, do they? :hmm:

WARNING: my spell checker isn't working!!!

A while ago I did a study on E.L.E.'s and the P\T extinction event was one of the E.L.E.'s that popped up. Back during that time frame it IS possible that this event could be held responsible as to such a HUGE scale extintion of life. (95% aquatic and 75% land based including plants, animals and insects) It also may be responsible for the separation of the Gondwana super continent.

Now as far as the mass extinction of 65 mil yrs ago....... I REALLY wish these so called "scientists" would actually do their research instead of fighting amung themselves. They have pre-school mentality fights over who's right just to get some sort of noteriety!! Science is NOT about who is right or wrong but about the facts!!!

Here are a few little known facts about this span of time:

Over the cource of 66-65 mil yrs there were not only one but SIX massive impacts!!! But no one wants to hear that.... Also starting at about 75 my ago to 65my ago there were many other events that SAVERLY CRIPPLED ALL the species of dinosaurs. These include super massive global volcanic activity, global earthquakes, tsunamis, magnetic reversal of the poles, 1,667 planetary alignments that takes up (at the very least) half of the solar system, shifts in Earth's axis, solar flairs, magetic storms,gamma ray bursts, global super cells, and simple evolution. I can easily keep going, the list is quite extensive. ALL of these occurances have altered the global climates. Ultimatly serving up the demise of the dinosaurs.

The bottom line is that most "scientists" choose to ignore the blaintantly obvious facts about many thing so their egos can be stroked.....

Its hard for me to swallow that one little 12 mile wide meteor could do such damage...... But I find it a bit easier to swallow that a MASSIVE 300+ mile wide asteroid traveling much faster then the Yucatan meteor could do such damage. But... nothing is concrete.....

Right now, as we speak/read, we are in the middle of yet another E.L.E. Its called the Holocene Extinction Event. Sadly though the resposible factor of this E.L.E. its called the human race......... Man, do humans suck or what!!!!! :(:no:

Edited by UtahRaptor

But I find it a bit easier to swallow that a MASSIVE 300+ mile wide asteroid traveling much faster then the Yucatan meteor could do such damage. But... nothing is concrete.....

The actual impacter wouldn't have been anywhere near 300 miles wide; that's merely the size of the crater. The impacter could've been perhaps 30 miles wide but not likely much larger.

These include super massive global volcanic activity, global earthquakes, tsunamis, magnetic reversal of the poles, 1,667 planetary alignments that takes up (at the very least) half of the solar system, shifts in Earth's axis, solar flairs, magetic storms,gamma ray bursts, global super cells, and simple evolution.

Gamma Ray Bursts? I don't think so... Many of those are normal solar or stellar activity. It is very plausible that an impact set of a chain of reactions causing an extinction.

So frogfish, what your saying is that 10 million years of all of these activities would do nothing to exterminate mass populations and species even though fossile records indicate a massive dieing off period of 10 mys?? And a small meteor started it all??? That is difficult for me to swollow.... The Earth tells the tale, its in the rocks. Yes the Yucatan meteor allong with the 5 others on different spots of the planet in the same 1 my span can easily deal a final death stroke. I do not deny this in the least! But there were MANY previous factors to take into account.

Lets put this into a present day perspective shall we.....

Would do you think the Yellowstone super volcano would do to populations in North America alone if it were to blow? How about the ring of fire blowing sequentially along the pascific rim? What might that do to present day populations??? These are just 2 volcanic examples. Think of what else has happened. The results of both of these examples on human population in present day would be nothing short of mass devistation, haveing affects on a global and climactic scale. As we all know these two examples have happened before down through time, many times over, and they will continue. By the way, it seems that we are 50k-100k yrs over due for the yellowstone super volcano. Who knows, we may get to witness what real devistation really is. We as humans have not seen squat of the Earth's and the rest of the universe's ultimate power. And many humans think that they rule...... What a JOKE! :lol:

Please make no mistake. I am not figurativly slaming my fists on the table yelling I'm right! I am figurativly slaming my fists on the table say I'm right, but then so is everyone else. In this matter, as well as many others, one must look at the big picture and link all pieces of the puzzle that many brilliant people have found. One piece of the puzzle can't stand alone as the answer. Frogfish, your ideas are just as important as mine as well as the many other students of science. I am not trying to shut you up. Perhaps just trying to broaden your veiw..... Not only your veiw, I take that back. It would be unfair of me to single you out, my apologies. Most people in the scientific world look at only one piece of the puzzle and say that its the answer.

Edited by UtahRaptor

The actual impacter wouldn't have been anywhere near 300 miles wide; that's merely the size of the crater. The impacter could've been perhaps 30 miles wide but not likely much larger.

I stand corrected Startraveler. I mis-read the article. I was sleepy and a bit dopey last night. TY

What is the understanding on a larger percentage of marine animals dieing over land?

Surely the shock wave, firestorm and temperature rises would affect land animals more than marine?

Should this be correct then it can only be that marine life was simple and relying on photosynthesis, which I find hard to believe.

So frogfish, what your saying is that 10 million years of all of these activities would do nothing to exterminate mass populations and species even though fossile records indicate a massive dieing off period of 10 mys??

No, I was talking about GRB and SGRs. I agree with you that volvanic activity played a major role in the K-T extinction. I just believed that the meteor was the "starting dominoe"