Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Irwin fans 'in revenge attacks'

__Kratos__

Dead stingrays with their tails cut off have been found in Australia, sparking concern that fans of naturalist Steve Irwin may be avenging his death.

Mr Irwin, a TV personality known as the "Crocodile Hunter", was killed while diving in Queensland when a stingray's barb stabbed him in the chest.

Since then, 10 stingrays have been found mutilated on Queensland beaches.

Government officials said they were investigating the deaths and there could be prosecutions.

Two stingrays were found at a beach north of Brisbane with their tails cut off, while eight were found on another beach on Monday, The Australian reported.

Wayne Sumpton of the state fisheries department said it was not clear if the incidents were connected to Mr Irwin's death.

He said fishermen who inadvertently caught stingrays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but such a practice was uncommon.

'Protect wildlife'

Mr Irwin was well-known for his work with Australian wildlife

Michael Hornby, a friend of the late naturalist and executive director of Mr Irwin's Wildlife Warrior fund, condemned any revenge killings.

"We just want to make it very clear that we will not accept and not stand for anyone who's taken a form of retribution. That's the last thing Steve would want," he said.

"I hope everyone understands we have to protect wildlife now more than ever. This is what Steve was all about."

Stingrays are normally placid, but when they feel under threat, a sharp, poisonous spine in their tail flicks up.

A public memorial service for Mr Irwin will be held next week.

Source

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just complete idiots that should be shot... I mean seriously... Honoring a guy that loved nature to death by killing animals? <_< Argh!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OlDrippy34

• __Kratos__

• Roj47

• thecreeper

Wayne Sumpton of the state fisheries department said it was not clear if the incidents were connected to Mr Irwin's death.

So the headline means nothing, and this is not a story.

Finally. I've been advocating the extermination of stingrays for years. This was just the catalyst we needed to set the wheels in motion.

Finally. I've been advocating the extermination of stingrays for years. This was just the catalyst we needed to set the wheels in motion.

...and while were at it let's get the bears, sharks, lions, etc. and exterminate them too :rolleyes: ..

I hope you were being sarcastic....

...and while were at it let's get the bears, sharks, lions, etc. and exterminate them too :rolleyes: ..

Heh, he was. :P

I don't think it was revenge. I think perhaps either curiosity or fear of the sting ray in and of itself.

See, I might take that excuse if it was one dead... There are 10 though. :hmm:

I don't think it was revenge. I think perhaps either curiosity or fear of the sting ray in and of itself.

Heh, he was. :P

See, I might take that excuse if it was one dead... There are 10 though. :hmm:

Maybe Australian's are slow learners? :rolleyes:

Such a shame that people would do this; Steve Irwin would not approve. :no:

Hopfully it did not set off the Japanese or others into a frenzy of stinger purchases from the area.

Some cannot seem to get past this fixation for exotic animal body parts that they have.

It would not hurt to see what is going on in the black market for that location and nip it in the bud if it is taking off in that direction.

It is wrong to insult an entire nation because of this, especially as you, like I, come from a nation where people are poisoning an endangered and legally protected species (the Hen Harrier) because they eat pheasant.

These so called fans of Steve Irwins obviously do not get what he was all about. The last thing he would have wanted was this kind of behaviour.

:no: Fisherman do sometimes remove the barb and let the stingray go, but catching and mutiliating these rays is just horrendous.

Hell yeah, let's get those vicious b*******, too!

Finally someone gets it.

please tell me he ^ is joking

please tell me he ^ is joking

I don't have a sense of humor that I'm aware of. Sorry.

:P At least we don't eat british beef :P

I don't have a sense of humor that I'm aware of. Sorry.

It's true folks, he's actually a cold, shallow shell of a man.

I once saw him juggle dwarves while simultaneously clubbing baby seals and insulting elderly folks of various ethnicities.

frankly I hope these people who comited this horrible act are all eaten by snakes

Hard to comprehend all the different ways people are responding to one man's death.

From fake videos of his death, made up video games, and now killing of innocent animals. Makes me glad that I am a nobody. :unsure:

It is wrong to insult an entire nation because of this, especially as you, like I, come from a nation where people are poisoning an endangered and legally protected species (the Hen Harrier) because they eat pheasant.

:) You know I am not serious :) as you can tell by the response from below.

What doesn't help the Australian cause are films like Crocodile Dundee (which I love), and the new batch of adverts. Fosters, Castlemaine xxxx

Have you seen the one where the pilot sees his plane sore off into the distance?

How about the ad where the guy is chatted up by a stunner, but keeps his Foster's out of the sun to keep it cold?

Aussies have a great sense of humour..... I mean..... With the likes of Rolph Harros they have to ;)

:P At least we don't eat british beef :P

There is nothing wrong with British beef. It is packed with added extras to aid muscle and brain growth..... flibble flibble.... There is no woop woop proof of it having an ad-ad-adverse effect on people. *wibble*

Just complete idiots that should be shot... I mean seriously... Honoring a guy that loved nature to death by killing animals? <_< Argh!

They're Australian. Enough said. :innocent: