Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
itsnotoutthere

Your thoughts please

itsnotoutthere

Religion is all around us, & millions of people believe in god.

There exists a 'story book' interpretation of what god may look like, you know the one, old bloke, long gray beard, sitting on a cloud etc etc. But to date when listening to (for want of a better term) religious people, i've yet to hear a description of god which would srike me as plausible, or indeed understandable.

Please do not misunderstand this question, after all we all have our own beliefs & i promise i am not trying to ridicule, but i would be interested in how people see god, or indeed imagine him (or her ) to be.

mold

Religion is all around us, & millions of people believe in god.

There exists a 'story book' interpretation of what god may look like, you know the one, old bloke, long gray beard, sitting on a cloud etc etc. But to date when listening to (for want of a better term) religious people, i've yet to hear a description of god which would srike me as plausible, or indeed understandable.

Please do not misunderstand this question, after all we all have our own beliefs & i promise i am not trying to ridicule, but i would be interested in how people see god, or indeed imagine him (or her ) to be.

Well what i read in the bible i just picture god as a big bright light that you cant look at ... I mean when the ten comandments were given too moses he just saw a fire soo maby she/he doesn't have a true from .

But would like too see what rest think

/regards

Imaginary Friend

Look at all that lives and shares this world/life with you. People, animals, nature, etc... There it is.

IronGhost

If there is a God, it would be impossible for human beings, in their present level of conscious development, to have any meaningful understanding of God at all.

That means all of our present models and assumptions about God -- if he, she or it -- exists, are false.

Edited by IronGhost

Mr Walker

Im not sure about god. I tend to "see" "Him" as an essence permeating time and space; everywhere and everywhen all at the same time. Thus it is able to relate to individuals on a personal level as well as keeping track of the universe. Personally in terms of his nature/spirit I think god is a lot like us, or how we are meant to be, but this may be only deference to the cultural reference in the bible that god created us in his own image. I think God appears to us, both metaphorically and literally, in ways which make use of our particular cultural referents. These appearances may be what western civilization has come to know as angels. ( we have a mental visual image of angels and when god appears he may either choose to look like this or we are just programmed to see him this way.)

On the one occasion when i both saw and heard an angel (at which time he both declared he would perform a miracle and then proceeded to carry it out) he looked like this.

A column or pillar of light about two metres tall and 60 cms wide. We were in non metric at the time, so perhaps i should say over 2 yards tall and slightly less than a yard wide. He was a brightly glowing flourescent/ neon light. This appeared within a metre or two of me, and was stationary, either at ground level or "floating' slightly above the ground. It was night time, and the light was enough to light up an area at least 4 or 5 metres/yards in radius from me. I was walking down a roadway between some trees, so the light spread down the road, but was largely blocked off by the trees. While the light was very bright, it was not enough to make me afraid of being blinded, like a welding light. However, i imagine if someone from the middle ages had seen exactly the same thing, they would have experienced the brightest non natural light ever experienced, by many orders of magnitude, and may have described it as blinding. I call it a he, because it spoke to me audibly and as a person in the street would do. (Then and now I am quite certain it was a physical voice from outside my head, emanating from the light source- it had a directional element.) It was a powerful voice, speaking with authority. It was not a voice i had ever heard before but later in my life the same voice saved my life on a couple of occasions. What it said is not really relevant to this thread, other than it promised me a physical miracle and it delivered on it pretty much instantaneously. The whole experience lasted only a few minutes.I was a complete non believer at the time. This was the first paranormal experience of a religious nature i had experienced, and needless to say it had a long term influence on my life. I was about 22 at the time. For many years i never spoke of this experience, but now i am prepared to put it out there, both in the hope of hearing of similar experiences, and partly to explain my perspective in a lot of the debates i take part in on these forums. Oh and sorry if that didn't sound like the definition of an angel with wings and everything. I only found out later that biblical angels often appeared as blinding columns of light. They also appeared as normal men, but that's another story.

Edited by Mr Walker

Paranoid Android

THere is no physical description of God I can give because God is not a physical being.

=Jak=

Of a thing, of it; possessive form of "ONE"

Negation of a word or group of words... A negative

Be made known; be disclosed or revealed

A location other than here; that place.

You have already know the right answer 'ITS NOT OUT THERE'

Yes it is right over here. But sad we always live in future and past!

itsnotoutthere

Of a thing, of it; possessive form of "ONE"

Negation of a word or group of words... A negative

Be made known; be disclosed or revealed

A location other than here; that place.

You have already know the right answer 'ITS NOT OUT THERE'

Yes it is right over here. But sad we always live in future and past!

come again !

Beckys_Mom

THere is no physical description of God I can give because God is not a physical being.

About the only real answer suitable for this thread