Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another Road Ghost

dancin'hamster

Found this compelling story and thought you may be interested ~

'Here is my true ghost story, which really did happen to me, and I am still suffering the affects of it to this day, playing the same event over in my mind. Before seeing the ghost I would have to say that I was a big skeptic, on seeing it I have changed my mind. I made the sighting on 20th October 1999 at 10-30 pm on the B2036, a road that runs from Haywards Heath to Crawley, eventually joining the A23 to Crawley. My personal view is that you do not find ghosts, they find you if they want to.

My best mate and I were driving back from his house. I had not been drinking, nor had I taken any substances that could have caused it. The moon was coming out from behind a cloud and there was heavy rain on the road surfaces. We had been driving for something like thirty to forty minutes and had joined the B2036, which goes through ancient woodland, and becomes nothing more than a country lane at that point. The Woodland itself is called Worth forest.

I looked at my watch and the time said 10:30pm and I can remember that I was relaxed and not thinking of anything. The car in front had disappeared and its headlights had faded into the darkness, so we were effectively the only vehicle on that unlit stretch of the road. It was then that I noticed in the car headlight beams, some distance ahead an owl flying across the road, that had come from the hedgerow, as if startled by something. On closer examination as we approached, I saw a misty patch, like fog emanating slowly from the grass verge on the right. I did not think anything about it too much, except that the next events took me by surprise.

In no less that 4 seconds this misty patch, took on a life of its own, I would have to say a supernatural presence. This misty patch expanded in size so rapidly that it became a dense, threatening thick wall of fog, that spread right across the right hand side of the road. This I now know was no ordinary fog, but was 'ectoplasm'.

As the fog cleared and dissipated I could see something moving ahead in front of the car headlights. I could clearly see it was a cowled figure like a monk that appeared to be intent on crossing the road from right hand side to the centre reservation. It had not seen us approaching at this stage, and had it arms outstretched. To my horror after examining the situation I saw that the figure was not walking like a normal human but 'gliding' just above the road surface. I was also having trouble clearly delineating it, because as it got to the centre line it disappeared and reappeared again in exactly the same spot and repeated the same action, time and time again. The ghost I would have to say took on a clearly ethereal appearance.

As we drew closer in the car I started to worry as to whether my friend had seen it, so I had decided to observe it and say nothing, because I feared he would crash the car. Watching again, I saw that it had observed us and was now aware of us, because our headlights were illuminating it, as we drew closer to it. Now the ghost faded completely when it got to the centre reservation line and it stopped and turned to face us head on.

I could see that it was now transparent to semi invisible. The headlight beams of our vehicle shone through it and I could see the rain falling on the other side, and the road disappearing off into the distance.

As we drew closer still, to it, the Ghost decided to move, and now glided across to the left hand side of the road i.e.- passenger side where I was seated. Some distance ahead the ghost now 'decided' to reveal itself. To my horror a full ghost dematerialised in front of the vehicle in the middle of the road, on my side. All I can say is that I have never experienced pure terror like that, my heart was thudding and I wanted to say something to my friend who was driving, but found that I could not get any words out. So I kept quite, as all the time we drew nearer to it.

The Ghost was of a portly middle-aged man, I would say in his forties to fifties. I got the impression that he did not belong to this century, as his clothes were dated. Around his waist there was a belt with a buckle, and he had on large boots. I got the impression that he may have been a highway robber because the man was bald, and he had an earring in his right ear. And to my horror he was standing there just grinning widely, I could see in his lower jar there were gold fillings. He wore a stripy 'jumper' like the 'Bretons' wear in Brittany France, and a necktie. The figure though was 'evil' because I sensed that it was enjoying the fact that it was scaring us.

I sat there dumbfounded and I could not believe what I was seeing. I thought I must be hallucinating. So when I shut my eyes and reopen them it will have gone. I shut my eyes took some deep breaths reopened them, and to my horror the figure was still there grinning in the middle of the road. By now I was beginning to panic a though crossed my mind what if we hit it. Then another thought came which was the ghost is dead so it cannot hurt me.

With that I suddenly plucked up courage and started to return the ghost's stare and gaze. I sensed that the ghost was aware somehow that I was no longer scared by it. It seemed to me that it had become dejected and crestfallen that the scare was no longer working.

The Ghost's facial features changed it was no longer grinning. It was at this point that I realised what I was seeing was not an image, but a real life 'sentient' human from beyond the grave with feelings and thoughts like you or me. The paradox was that it was alive but dead.

As we approached rapidly I started to fear that we were going to collide with it. I heard stories that ghosts sometimes go right through vehicles. I therefore started to will in my mind for it to disappear, but it would not go. I realised that if it did not go we would hit it. As we reached the point of no return a few hundred metres from it, the ghost just vanished, dematerialising as suddenly as it had come.

We were now level with the spot where the ghost had been standing. I checked the side windows of the car, as we passed to see if someone had been playing a trick. I also looked back out of the window in the back. All I could see was an eerie empty lonely road, with the autumn leaves falling slowly down into the road. We were now completely alone.

I said nothing to my best mate, about it, but spent the weekend worrying about it, was what I had seen alive or dead. A few weeks later after meeting up for a drink in a pub, I asked him whether he had seen anything, and explained I had seen a ghost. He just turned to me and laughed. He said I saw nothing. It therefore means that only I could see it, unless of course he is lying about what he truly saw.'

Taken from

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...st&CODE=00&f=10

So............any of you driving in the dark tonight?

wink2.gif

Hammy x x x

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancin'hamster

• algernon the 3rd

• Cufflink

• Rakshasas

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey, Hams! huh.gif

Poor guy...has an experience like that, and his friend doesn't see it. Could he have imagined it? Probably what the sceptics would say. My dad had a terrifying road ghost experience back in the early seventies. He was an arch-sceptic up to that point, but not afterwards.

Road ghosts are some of the worst, simply because unlike a haunted location, which you can choose to investigate, these things come from nowhere, when you're least expecting it.

I know.............Highway Hypnosis?

huh.gif Maybe some people are just more sensitive to seeing ghosts and his friend was not.

What a scarey experience!

*shivers*

My dad has had a few road ghost incidents, sadly I don't remember the stories well enough to be able to tell them sad.gif

But I'm not overly surprised as he seems to be pretty sensitive to these things. I think on one of these occasions my grandad was in the car with him and saw it as well.

My dad has had a few road ghost incidents, sadly I don't remember the stories well enough to be able to tell them sad.gif

Algie ~ any chance that you could find out for us? I'd be intrigued to hear what he saw.......

Hammy x x x

Algie ~ any chance that you could find out for us? I'd be intrigued to hear what he saw.......

Hammy x x x

I'll have a go next time I visit my folks...